How can I find a recycling center that takes car seats

kmcenery

My neice (sil daughter) was in a car crash and state fram paid for a new seat (she went out a got thr GN) and was trying to give the her old seat to a friend. I explaned to her that State fram had you buy him a new seat for a reason and his old seat is nolonger safe to use. So I took it for her to toss it because she said she did not have the time to cut the harness and write on the seat and then put it in the trash on differant trash days. I also have my other neices car seat that is 9 years old that my mom found in the loft at my dads office. I would like to recycle them instead of trashing them how I can I find a place near me that does it.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Don't. Someone will nick it from the recycling center. I'm all for saving the environment, but saving a child here is going to be far more likely than the little bit it would do to help Mother Earth. So cut it up, write on it, smash it, do whatever you can to make it horrid to use. Put the pieces that are left in a black trash bag so it's not obvious what it is, and then put it IN your trash can so it doesn't look like a carseat in a trash bag.

Wendy

kmcenery

I guess I will let dh and his friends take a hammer to them. I thought taking them to a center would prevent them from being used agian guess not.

Dont live in either of those states. Im in CA

Thank you

Last edited:

bethng

Oregon and Colorado have car seat recycling.

I am in Washington and the instructor of my tech class said that there is a place we can take seats to recycle them so they don't end up in the landfill. But for the life of me I cant remember where she said. I will have to email her and ask. My daycare has a couple that need to be destroyed but I wont let her throw them in the garbage! lol So she is storing them in her garage.....begrungly. She said "ok, first you bring me cloth diapers and now I cant even throw the old car seats away!" lol!

dhardawa

Don't. Someone will nick it from the recycling center. I'm all for saving the environment, but saving a child here is going to be far more likely than the little bit it would do to help Mother Earth. So cut it up, write on it, smash it, do whatever you can to make it horrid to use. Put the pieces that are left in a black trash bag so it's not obvious what it is, and then put it IN your trash can so it doesn't look like a carseat in a trash bag.

Wendy

Why not smash it up and then find a place that recycles plastic? If it is usable at all, I'd venture to say that it would be just as easy for someone to take it from the dump.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC