Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

kmicah

Why do they do that

We are looking at a Chevy Venture Warner Bros. Edition (the 2002 is AWD) and it comes standard with 8 passenger seating. The driver, passenger, three separate seats in the middle row, and a bench for three people in the rear. My question is, why would Chevy only offer LATCH on the two outside seats in the middle row, and not on the middle seat which is the safest place to put your child?

This was true on the 2001s, however, we are not sure of the 2002s since no one has them in stock yet so we can go look.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Micah

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Caviller

LATCH

Two reasons-

1) Cost, they are meeting the minimum requirement.

2) Confusion. With three sets of LATCH seats, they may be concerned that parents would mix up which anchors to use in each position.

I'm not saying they're doing the right thing, but that's probably why.

I don't have my manual handy, I'll answer your quesion on the Passat tomorrow if no one does before me.

cps tech

Also, there might not be space

The specs for LATCH anchors require that the anchors be a certain distance apart so that they will work with all LATCH seats. Most vehicle seats simply aren't wide enough to accomodate 3 sets of anchors.

Krista

kmicah

RE: Also, there might not be space

I don't think that confusion about which LATCH to use would be the issue since the one that we were looking at has three individual seats for the middle row (the outside two of which have LATCH anchors). Spacing could be the problem. I will have to go look at them and measure. Looking at the seats with the naked eye though makes it look close. We didn't see much difference (if any) in the width of the three seats. There definitely could be. Cost could definitely be the issue. I will research this further, although, I am open for any information.

Thank You,
    Micah