Tell me about the LATCH rules in these cars

cryswilkins

I am wondering if anyone knows or could point me in the direction of a source to find the LATCH weight limits of the following:

Toyota
Hyundai
Mazda
Saturn

Also do any of these auto makers allow center LATCH, in all or some of their cars?

We are going to look at new (to us) cars on Saturday and I am interested to know what the LATCH looks like in the potential cars I am pondering. TIA!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Toyota defers to the carseat manufacturer for weight limits and does not allow borrowing.

Hyundai does not state a weight limit and does not allow borrowing.

Mazda does not state a weight limit and allows borrowing as long as the carseat manufacturer does as well.

Saturn has a 48 lb LATCH limit. GM generally allows borrowing as long as the carseat manufacturer does. However, several Saturn models have a dedicated set of lower anchors for the center position.

Here's a list of weight limits by car manufacturer in case you look at any others- http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/pg_126_max_wt_07.pdf

adding: so, for the ones that either defer the to carseat manufacturer or don't state a limit- you can use older Britax seats (like before January 08) to 48 lbs. The latest versions on the manuals state only 40 lbs if the vehicle manufacturer doesn't say. It doesn't really matter for your comfortsport, since it's only a 40 lb seat anyway.

rosey2007

I own a 2007 Hyundai Elantra and they say that the max LATCH limit is 48 pounds and you cannot use the LATCH in the middle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC