Comparison pictures of Recaro Start, Britax Parkway & Sunshine Kids Monterey

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Model #1 is 7.5 years old, 59 pounds 51 inches - 18.75 inch torso.

Recaro Start

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

She has 3 more "clicks" until it's in the top position
IMG_2466.jpg

Britax Parkway

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

She has 2 more "clicks" until the top position.

IMG_2462.jpg

Sunshine Kids Monterey

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

She has 3 more "clicks" until she needs the top position.

IMG_2458.jpg

ADS

Ahzryn

Which ones did the models prefer? And wow, the Monterrey has one deep seat!

It's always so nice to see them all together, and how the same kids fits in each seat differently. Thanks for the pics!

Mama!

If you had to choose one for a 5 year old girl, who was 45 ish inches and 40 lbs, with a 16-16.75 ish inch torso, which one would it be? (Professional opinion and personal)

scatterbunny

So am I right in thinking the Start offers about the same amount of growing room as the Monterey (I know the Start's belt guide isn't the top torso height, it's really the bottom of the head wing on highest setting)?

Kat_Momof3

it doesn't look like your monterey goes taller than the parkway, where Joni and I have found it does.

but Don't you love how it is not made for small kids?

The monterey is my favorite booster, hands down.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for the pics. So eventhough there are only 2 more clicks on the PW, but in the picture of them together, is it fair to say the PW has higher seatbelt guides than the Monterey though?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Which ones did the models prefer? And wow, the Monterrey has one deep seat!

It's always so nice to see them all together, and how the same kids fits in each seat differently. Thanks for the pics!

The models all prefer "The Pink One"

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
If you had to choose one for a 5 year old girl, who was 45 ish inches and 40 lbs, with a 16-16.75 ish inch torso, which one would it be? (Professional opinion and personal)

I'd have a child that age/sized harnessed, but if I NEEDED a booster for a very good reason, then definitely the Parkway - it "hugs" littler kids a lot better.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
So am I right in thinking the Start offers about the same amount of growing room as the Monterey (I know the Start's belt guide isn't the top torso height, it's really the bottom of the head wing on highest setting)?

Yes, all three were remarkably similar in usable torso height. It was pretty amazing, there is such MINIMAL differences between the three in that regards.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
it doesn't look like your monterey goes taller than the parkway, where Joni and I have found it does.

but Don't you love how it is not made for small kids?

The monterey is my favorite booster, hands down.

No, I haven't found that mine goes any taller than the Parkway. I've pulled pretty hard on the head rest adjuster too.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the pics. So eventhough there are only 2 more clicks on the PW, but in the picture of them together, is it fair to say the PW has higher seatbelt guides than the Monterey though?

Within .5 inch all seats offered the same torso growth room. The Start was the tallest, and the other two were very similar.

scatterbunny

No, I haven't found that mine goes any taller than the Parkway. I've pulled pretty hard on the head rest adjuster too.

That's so disappointing. I'm not sure what to go with for H now, considering we need the tallest highback possible for my Focus (no headrests). I planned for her to be in highbacks until about age 10, at that time I'd sell/trade the Focus for something with rear headrests. But she just turned 7 and has a 19 inch torso, and I don't know how I'm going to keep her in a highback for another 3 years if she keeps growing like this, and the tallest highbacks are comparable to the Parkway.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Jenny, I'm betting she will pass the 5 step test in the next few years in the Focus.

A high back booster for a tall child in a small car makes the seatbelt fit awkward after a certain point because the seatbelt is coming from BELOW the child's shoulders UP to the guide and down over the child - it's a bad fit, one I have recommended against when a child passes the 5 step test.

scatterbunny

Thanks, Lisa. Maybe you're right, and she will pass the 5 step test sooner than I think. I'm just not okay with that. :p Plus, I have no rear headrests, and the seatback isn't very tall. If she passes the 5 step test but has no head support, I'm going to probably choose to keep her in the booster. I just need to remind myself to worry about now, and the next year or two, and we'll probably have a vehicle with headrests by then.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I know! It's so hard when they grow up :(

My dd nearly passes the 5 step test in the 3rd row of my Sedona. She is only 7 :( I bet within about 6-12 months she will fit beautifully back there.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Jenny, I wasn't able to compare the height in our little Golf liked I'd hoped, but considering the width of the Monterey's headwings, and the fact that it's just as tall as the Start, I think that if the Start headwings are up against the side of your Focus, the Monterey's definitely would be.

Also, just a comment-in-general, both the Monterey and the Start are best for big kids - Macha (model #3) rode in the Start last week in my Mom's truck, and I wasn't impressed. She fit similarly in the Monterey yesterday. It's hard to tell in the pics because we didn't buckle them in, but for skinny, petite kids, the Parkway is still the best fit of those three.

We're definitely going to go back to the Turbo for Macha for those occasions when she needs one and can't use the Husky or Radian.

jdubsm

Great pictures. It does confirm that I really want to do another Parkway for DS(if I can find one). I like the way it hugs your ds better than the Monterey.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC