New 3-in-1's?

djma

I remember a thread where someone said that Cosco or who ever owns the 3-in-1's (safety 1st, cosco...) is upping the ff limit to 50 pounds and doing away with the "top slot for booster mode only thing".

Does anybody remember or know when those will be released?

I am needing...well, actually, wanting :p a new seat for the van and I'm thinking of trying one of these if they don't take forever to come out.

TIA

ADS

djma

Thanks! I want one - I just hope they come out with a cheaper version. $169 isn't bad...but to DH, that's crazy! :rolleyes:

Kat_Momof3

well, it just makes them a decent convertible... until they improve booster mode (and no cosco booster that has an adjustable headrest that is any GOOD also has it reinforced), it's still better to go with the truefit or efta (not that the tether issues are making that one very great right now), or go a little higher and get the Radian.

Heck, I'd just get the Avenue... if the Scenera was too barebones.

djma

I wouldn't use it for a booster, DS2 will be in a Regent or something newer by then. But it would be a good spare seat. I don't think he has much room rfng in the scenera and the uptown squished his shoulders. And the efta is his main seat...

I guess we'll see if they run any good sales. :D

capeKO71

See I'm totally thrilled about this seat. Frankly - I would be jumping for joy if we start seeing all the old ones go out the door and this new one be the model for all the 3 -in-1's... My really only issue with this seat was the height and weight limit - and that's fixed now - It makes a nice rear facing seat, and with the taller top harness and weight, it now makes a great forward facing seat. The booster mode thing doesn't bug me... We'd be pulling these as expired at checks for most kids in a booster mode anyhow... (assuming 6 years... )

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I'm also extremely happy to see the changes to this seat. Not because I intend to buy one (we're MORE than set for seats :p), but because now they actually CAN be used the way that parents already DO use them. I see so many kids in these seats with the straps on the highest (non-useable) setting, or still using them at 43 lbs, etc. Now the seat is much more likely to actually fit a child until age 4 as a harnessed seat. Of course, all the old style ones will still be out there, but I'll be happy to start seeing these. :thumbsup:

Also, I know that these seats don't make great boosters, in part because the lap belt doesn't rest well over the hips. But I wonder - if kids can now make it to 4-5 with the harness, and thus are bigger once they start using the seat as a booster, is the lap belt more likely to rest properly on them? :question: Still not a great booster, but perhaps less bad than before if we don't see the 3YOs in it as a booster.

HEVY

Is this retroactive on all seats? Or is it after a certain DOM? My friend has one RF, I'd like to be able to tell her she can use it longer.

firemomof3

I'm also very excited to see these changes :D Considering that the 3in1s are so popular with registrys now, like Bookmama said, parents can use them properly & safely :thumbsup:
I may have to take a trip down to BRU and try it out :rolleyes:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Is this retroactive on all seats? Or is it after a certain DOM? My friend has one RF, I'd like to be able to tell her she can use it longer.

These changes are NOT retroactive. I'm not sure what the earliest DOM is of the seats with higher harnesses and weight limits, but the seats/boxes/manuals will be appropriately labeled.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I wonder if you can use the highest postion. If not, I seriously doubt a child will make it to 50 lbs in this seat.

Eta: I see that you guys are saying they may have done away with the "top slot for booster mode only". That would be great if they have. I hope it is much better than the older ones.

crunchierthanthou

Also, I know that these seats don't make great boosters, in part because the lap belt doesn't rest well over the hips. But I wonder - if kids can now make it to 4-5 with the harness, and thus are bigger once they start using the seat as a booster, is the lap belt more likely to rest properly on them? :question: Still not a great booster, but perhaps less bad than before if we don't see the 3YOs in it as a booster.

I think by the time the child outgrows the top harnessed position, it's going to be pretty worthless as a booster. If he's too tall for the harness, he's going to be very nearly too tall for the booster mode. It will last a bit longer, but nowhere near 8 years they advertise.

Kat_Momof3

I am excited for it as a harnessed seat, but I wish they'd just chuck the booster guides and stop trying to sell it as "the only seat you'll ever need"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC