Here I go again!

my3girls

I didn't want to put this on the carseat board, maybe I should have :confused: Anyway, do you guys ever feel like you want a new seat for your kids even though they don't really need one? My 3.5 year old needed a HWH, since my van didn't have a tether and we needed a seat ASAP, we found the Apex at a store 30 min away (the closest Husky was 2 hours) the apex fit so we bought it. Since then I've had the tether installed. My dd has been growing in the legs and we haven't moved to the highest harness setting. But every time I see a Regent (or hear it recommended) I wonder if I should get one because of the flimsy-ness of the apex and obviously the Regent would last us longer.

Similar situation with my 2 year old. She is RF in a Scenera. She's a tiny thing, even though her sister passed 40# at three, her growth curve indicates she will be 5 or 6. LOL! But if I could be using the RF tether and have a seat w/ non twisty straps (don't remember anyone mentioning that prior to buying the Scenera, but the comfortsport I replaced it w/ I only had the buckle flip on me maybe 4 times in the 3 years (used it for both girls) I had it. The Scenera gets flipped propbably once a week. And obviously a Britax would be more padded too.

Anyway, thanks for still reading, I guess I really just have a terrible case of carseat envy :p My hubby will get me any carseat I tell him I need, we don't have the money to spare, but he'll put it on a credit card for me. And my main point is that I feel like I will end up with a "better" seat later, so should I get it now so I can already be enjoying it? ;) Tell me what you'd do.

ADS

skaterbabs

I completely understand!! I want PWs for the boys in the Jeep, and Huskies in the van when we get it, even though the TB is perfectly adequate.

skaterbabs

I completely understand!! I want PWs for the boys in the Jeep, and Huskies in the van when we get it, even though the TB is perfectly adequate.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oh, dear ... add another one to the list :p Yeah, I sometimes wonder if I have a hidden agenda against myself -- I give away seats (very much justified since the receivers' seats have been either nonexistent, broken, expired or the wrong type for the age/size of child) & I end up buying more. It's like an obsession & since our RYSport can't use the foot rest I'm double-thinking that purchase & wishing I'd bought the Safe Guard (although, I have vowed NOT to spend anymore $ on carseats for Leila!) :eek: :D

Let me try to ease your mind by saying that unless your child is extremely long torso'd (& of course, so long as you have vehicle headrests) then the Apex is agreat choice -- really, if for no other reason, then your purchase is helping demand the supply of more seats like it *WOOHOO!* If kiddo isn't complaining, I don't see a need to change *WINK*

The Scenera is a great seat too -- LOVE that it's RF weight limit is 2 pounds more than Britax & I would've gotten one myself except that Leila is really tall & seems she'd only fit it RF, not FF, lol.... If you're uninstalling & reinstalling the seat for alternate vehicles, I would choose to have an extra & if that extra happens to be the Britax or Fisher Price that's cool *GRIN*

One thing about tethering RF, though -- I did it & I know a lot of techs here suggest it & certainly Britax recommends it, but in my class I learned that the vehicle manufacturers do not test their possible RF tether locations for this purpose & in fact some vehicles are designed to rip apart between the front & rear row of seating in the event of certain types of crashes ... after seeing how some RF seats tethered to the front of the vehicle (front seat legs, etc.) have broken in such circumstances, as rare as they are, I've decided now not to tether any RF seats without the OK from both the carseat & vehicle manufacturer *SHRUG*

j4m4d8

LOL, I am the same way. I currently have a Britax Husky, a Graco TurboBooster, and a Britax Laptop for my son. My daughter has a Britax Marathon and a Graco Ultra CarGo. So do I need another seat? NO! Do I want another seat? Of course. But since I just finished paying the Husky off in December I am really trying to control myself. I would love a Regent for my daughter because we all prefer the Husky to the forward-facing Marathon, but I really can't justify it. Of course the Recaro Young Sport would be neat to try out, too. The Safeguard is really out of my budget. Love to get my hands on a Radian but I know it wouldn't install where I want to put it. I'll never be satisfied!

I did buy a new infant seat for my niece (Graco SafeSeat) last month so that helped a little. I'm putting $7.50 a week into my piggy bank for a seat for her when she outgrows that one. The fun part about saving is you can shop the whole time you save! I think if her parents want to go with extended rear-facing she will get one of the big Britax convertibles. If not then I am totally undecided.

Anyway, I don't know what to say about your current situation. I'd only be inclined to replace a seat if it is really annoying you since they both fit your needs quite well right now. I'd suggest saving for another seat rather than putting it on a credit card. At least that's what I keep telling myself...

Oh, and if you love car seats there's no point in buying a seat that's going to last more than a couple of years. You'll be driven to get another one by then anyway.

Julie D.
Who has also owned an Evenflo On My Way?, Cosco Touriva, Cosco Triad, Cosco High Rise booster, and Britax Advantage. Ten car seats for two kids ages 3 and 6. More than one seat per child year all on a limited budget. (No match for Tiffany, though. ;) )

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Oh absolutely, I'm so tempted to get a Regent now for my oldest even though she still has a bit of growing room left before she outgrows her Marathon by height. And having heard recently that the Regent would fit in the second or third row seats in my Sienna, I'm doubly tempted to go ahead and get one now. :)

I've used many seats for my oldest due to vehicle/family changes and her tendency to outgrow seats by height due to her long torso. She was in the Evenflo On My Way as a newborn in DH's '97 Saturn SW1, then we moved her into a bigger Evenflo Cozy Carry when he got his current car, a 2002 Saturn L100. She also rode in a Cosco Touriva RF in my former '00 Saturn SC1 and as a spare seat, plus a Century Accel and Britax Roundabout in DH's Saturn L100 and in the Vue that replaced my SC1. She kept outgrowing seats by height and finally the Marathon came out on the market and we got one for her to use in the Vue and DH's L100. The Marathon has been replaced twice after two crashes and the Vue has been replaced by my '05 Sienna. My oldest also has a Graco Cargo and an extra Parkway to use on the rare occasion that we try to do seats side by side in DH's car or grandma's. My youngest has used a Baby Trend Latch Loc, Graco infant Safe Seat and a Boulevard so far and she's only 9.5 months old. :)

skaterbabs

Sheesh, I've had more horrible seats in my day! LOL (Good gravy! that makes me sound old. lol)

We had an Evenflo infant seat with CJ, then a Century t-shield, then a Bravada-type combination booster, then a Grand Explorer, then no seat for a little while, then a Lap Top, then a Turbo Booster and then another TB when we had a crash last year. lol

Gregory's almost as bad! Cheap Cosco infant seat, Century Accel, Bravada-type combo seat, GE, Laptop, TB & TB.

Joyjoy has had a Graco Snug Ride, Britax Handle With Care, Roundabout, Fisher Price Safe Embrace, Marathon, Touriva.

And I ain't done yet. :p lol

my3girls

Glad I'm not alone! I thought of another reason the Apex could be replaced. The darn crotch strap is SHORT! which obviously makes buckling more of a pain, and then when I do get it buckled, it's kinda pushing into my dd thighs. *sigh* My dh had a job interview and if he gets hired there he will be making more $, so then I could start my savings account! hehehe! and I have a friend that has a baby arriving in June, I made her promise to let me go carseat shopping with her and after I showed her the RF vs FF crash videos she said I could slap her if she turned her kid FF before he's 2!! :D
Jeanum - I had a 97 SC1 and then a 98 SL2, but then I had to get a van. Have you seen the new Saturn Outlook? I think it looks nice! Maybe in a couple years when it's time to get rid of the van, dh will let me get one. Here it is at the New York auto show!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yay ... sometimes I wish we could liine up to take turns slapping some people (but we can't blame the parents who follow bad advice from the Pediatricians -- sometimes it's the Peds who need to be slapped!) ... anyway, even though it's a PITA, a short crotch strap is safe -- possibly safer than a long one, because it probably does a better job of keeping the straps low & away from the abdomen :confused: :rolleyes: :cool:

Jeanum

Staff member
my3girls said:
Jeanum - I had a 97 SC1 and then a 98 SL2, but then I had to get a van. Have you seen the new Saturn Outlook? I think it looks nice! Maybe in a couple years when it's time to get rid of the van, dh will let me get one. Here it is at the New York auto show!

Ah, cool, thanks for the link. The Outlook reminds me a lot of the Vue, only bigger for 8-passengers with a third row. It does look nice. No mention of plastic body panels and GM is phasing out the use of them :(. DH and I both are fans of the plastic panels, living in the rust belt, and it was a big reason for us to buy Saturns in the first place. Safety geek observations from the Outlook photos: I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but I don't see a 2nd row center headrest, but it does appear to have a shoulder belt there. I can't tell if the the 3rd row center has a headrest or shoulder belt either. I can see a tag on the side of the second row seat, maybe for a side airbag? I also hope GM includes curtain airbags and stability control.

Jeanum

Staff member
No rust or door dings on ours, either. My parents have a '96 SW1 and the body panels still look almost as good as new. When we were van shopping, we found out the Saturn Relay minivan was steel paneled and based on GM's older minivan platform. Due to that and the lack of curtain airbags and stability control on the '05 Relay, we didn't even test drive one, and went straight to the Toyota dealer for a Sienna instead. And yes, I hauled along several carseats to see how they fit in the Sienna, causing the sales people to gawk and ask me if I was expecting multiples. :eek:

scatterbunny

I feel your pain. I've gone through 10+ seats, and still want more. And I only have one child. :eek:

She's got about 1/2 an inch of torso growing room in the Futura and then we'll need another harnessed seat. The Parkway is just fine for us, and we love it, but I still find myself coveting the Recaro Start for its awesome adjustability and footrest, the Recaro Young Style because I feel like it has the perfect sidewings, the Compass B500 because it is so cushy and I love the flip-up armrests, the TurboBooster because it can be used backless...I have no real NEED for these seats, but I want them anyway. :rolleyes:

I also want/need another narrow harnessed seat (Radian, if I can get it installed well) because I am obsessed with having child-safe seating for every seat in my van's middle and third row. Even though I only have one child, and rarely do I bring more than one of Hayley's friends with us at a time. I know, I have a serious problem, LOL.

Dillipop

We've gone through 5 seats in 3 years (snugride, century accel, marathon, cargo and husky)(we still use the last 3) Now I am really wishing we had considered the recaro instead of the cargo when looking for a seat for my mom's car. If I could justify it in any way, I would get one now. I'll just have to be happy with getting infant seats in the next few months and wait for the opportunity to get other ones when #2 needs seats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC