Saturn Vue

Lara

I'm looking at an 03 online right now. whats the general consensus on the vue? is it good for carseats? IIRC it did pretty well in crash tests which is important to me (though I haven't looked in awhile, could be something else I'm thinking of)

TIA!

ADS

BW1426

I really liked it. I got to play with an '04. The top tethers are on the back of the seats and it has 3 full sets of LATCH. I installed a variety of seats in it --because it was at our CPS class-- and didn't have any issues.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
We used one when we visited family last year. The Radian installed beautifully FF in the center, with LATCH, and we had no problems with the other kids (boostered kids or seat-belted teens) having enough room on either side.

That's all the installing I did, though, so I know it's not much help. :eek:

It was a nice vehicle, though. Dh drove it a bit, and it was comfy to ride in - no complaints. Plus, we had enough room for luggage in the back. :thumbsup:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have gotten 3 Britax Roundabout across the back seat without much fuss. I could have probably added a Marathon or two into the mix without much difficulties.

lorinick

I have a Vue and can install car seats very easily. I've installed the Snug Ride, blvd rf and a Marathon all very easy to do. I have a Blvd. rf sitting near a turbo booster.

skipspin

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm a former '03 Vue owner who walked away from a side swiping/frontal collision unhurt (along with DH and DD1 who were in the car with me at the time). My current avatar is the after-crash photo of our Vue before it was repaired. We ended up replacing it with a Sienna because I found out I was expecting DD2 shortly after the crash and we needed a vehicle to transport the four of us plus grandparents. Otherwise we probably would have either kept the repaired Vue, or replaced it with another Vue.

A couple of caveats for '02-'07 Saturn Vue shoppers: That version of the Vue didn't do so well in IIHS side impact crash tests without side curtain airbags. An '02-'07 Vue equipped with side curtain airbags was unfortunately never tested for side impacts by the IIHS, which likely would have improved its side impact crash performance, but we can't be certain without actual testing. Opt for a Vue equipped with side curtain airbags if at all possible for presumably improved side impact protection. The other caveat would be to avoid altogether the 4-cylinder version with the CVT (continuously variable transmission) because the CVT transmission is notoriously prone to failure. :thumbsdown:

skipspin

Opt for a Vue equipped with side curtain airbags if at all possible for presumably improved side impact protection. The other caveat would be to avoid altogether the 4-cylinder version with the CVT (continuously variable transmission) because the CVT transmission is notoriously prone to failure. :thumbsdown:

Yep.:thumbsup: If you can find one with the Honda engine that's the best bet engine-wise, but don't go for that CVT for sure. I think they started using the Honda engine in 04 or 05.

We had a 6 cyl AWD 03 and never had any problems, but DH still lasted after the Honda engine. I just:love: my yellow VUE.

Lara

A couple of caveats for '02-'07 Saturn Vue shoppers: That version of the Vue didn't do so well in IIHS side impact crash tests without side curtain airbags. An '02-'07 Vue equipped with side curtain airbags was unfortunately never tested for side impacts by the IIHS, which likely would have improved its side impact crash performance, but we can't be certain without actual testing. Opt for a Vue equipped with side curtain airbags if at all possible for presumably improved side impact protection. The other caveat would be to avoid altogether the 4-cylinder version with the CVT (continuously variable transmission) because the CVT transmission is notoriously prone to failure. :thumbsdown:

Good to know, thank you!

and thanks for all the other comments...sounds like its really a great car!

Lara

Ok, the vue I was looking at is an '03, 4 cylinder engine (automatic, FWD if that matters). Does that mean it automatically has the bad CVT transmission? I won't even bother emailing the seller if so...

Jeanum

Staff member
Yes, all 4-cylinder automatic '04 Vue models have the CVT. Only the V-6 or the 4-cylinder manual Vues were CVT-less in the '03 and '04 model years, and beyond that my memory is fuzzy as to when the CVT was discontinued. You could poke around on the saturnfans.com Vue forums at http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20 to narrow it down.

Jeanum

Staff member
I did a little more digging for you about the CVT. According to this blurb at cars.com, an optional 4-speed automatic transmission was offered for the 4-cylinder engine equipped Vues in the '05 model year: http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research....jsp&myid=&section=reviews&mode=&aff=national
I get the impression that an '05 4-cylinder Vue isn't sure to be free of the CVT, though, but some 4-cylinder '05 models out there would have the conventional 4-speed automatic instead of the CVT. The CVT appears to have been phased out completely by the 2006 model year according to the blurb about the '06 Vue at http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research....jsp&myid=&section=reviews&mode=&aff=national

Lara

Thanks for looking that up for me! Guess I won't be getting a vue...the one I was looking at was an awesome price, I don't think I can afford an 05 or newer :(

lorinick

Yep.:thumbsup: If you can find one with the Honda engine that's the best bet engine-wise, but don't go for that CVT for sure. I think they started using the Honda engine in 04 or 05.

We had a 6 cyl AWD 03 and never had any problems, but DH still lasted after the Honda engine. I just:love: my yellow VUE.

I've had problems with my VUE 03 no engine problems though.

Lara

So my bf was looking at the vue again, the one I was originally looking at had an extended warrenty on it that covers the transmission among other things. It still has 3 years left on the warrenty, would it be worth it knowing it would be covered if the transmission failed? ITs only got 30,700 miles on it, $8997.

Jeanum

Staff member
The extended CVT warranty probably has a mileage limit, too, IIRC. I would still be hesitant personally at any price or warranty coverage because when the CVT fails, it can totally strand you and the car won't be drivable. Not a good thing to happen in traffic and/or on a busy freeway, for example. :eek:

Lara

The extended CVT warranty probably has a mileage limit, too, IIRC. I would still be hesitant personally at any price or warranty coverage because when the CVT fails, it can totally strand you and the car won't be drivable. Not a good thing to happen in traffic and/or on a busy freeway, for example. :eek:

Yeah, that was my arguement! I do not ever want to get stranded again (its happened once before) because it always happens in the worst places! But he told me to "ask the carseat people" so...I did :p. Now I can go look at the matrix again...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC