Mama needs out of the house once in awhile

my3girls

OK, I've been considering one of those pull behind your bike trailers that your kids can ride in, KWIM? I'm the insane car seat geek in my house, but my hubby doesn't think they are a great idea, he thinks our kids will get rearended or something. I live in a small town (two stop lights) and not that many accidents happen per month. I would never be riding out in a busy area of town or during a busy time (like school letting out) etc. SO, my question for all you wonderful safety minded people is: Are they safe? Would you/do you own one? or are they trouble?
p.s. I would buy helmets for my girls to wear and they are 2 and 3.5.

ADS

skaterbabs

They're safer than the seats that attach to the bike. I have one that we bought when the boys were Joyjoy's age.

Michi

I have one and I really like it - the kids do, too.
We like to ride on a designated bike trail near our house because it has NO automobile traffic. You might want to check and see if there is one near you.
Also, I don't know how much your kids weigh, but the added weight means you need added "braking time."
I will also warn you that hills are VERY difficult to manuver pulling a trailer ( both up and down). But, if you can find a nice quiet, level are to ride, it is really enjoyable!

my3girls

skaterbabscpst said:
They're safer than the seats that attach to the bike. I have one that we bought when the boys were Joyjoy's age.
See this is what I thought. And we only have one big hill here that I will avoid, no designated bike trail... yet... maybe soon.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
We have one that we use on vacation where there are lots of bike paths and around our neighborhood. This post reminded me though of something I saw a few months back that really cracked me up. There was a guy riding his bike downtown with a bike trailer attached and he has his kid in the trailer in a Britax carseat! It was such a funny sight!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
skaterbabscpst said:

They're coming out with even less safe seats of this variety. My dad did a mold about a month ago for a seat that attached to the front of the bike facing forwards. If the bike falls or flips forward for some reason the child would be first to take the impact and it of course had no protection to prevent something hitting the child. Its meant for ppl who ride on mountain trails, its supposed to make it easier on the parent to land jumps and other mountain biking stuff but it seems to me the ppl who do those things are more likely to fall.

I would love to get one of those trailers but my mom gave my bike away (i havent ridden it since the 9th grade) and i really would like alex to learn to ride on her own before kindergarten. She'd never even been on a tricycle until DN got one for his birthday. She has a tricycle with handlebars attached like a strollers but her mom didnt put the pedals on so she never learned.

skaterbabs

I was 8 before I learned to ride a bike - didn't have one before then. Pulling the trailer definately takes some getting used to, and if DH was going to be with us I always made him tow it anyway. lol

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Dreaming_of_Speed said:
They're coming out with even less safe seats of this variety. My dad did a mold about a month ago for a seat that attached to the front of the bike facing forwards.

Britax (Roemer) made a bike seat like this in Germany. I think it was discontinued just this year.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Scary. I wish i had gotten a prototype of this thing but the company required they send all test runs back to them. I hope this thing doesnt make it to production.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
One step ahead has made a front bike seat for a while now. I think I've seen it in their catalogs for about a year now.

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/86205/215755/117.html

We have a trailer, but we don't use it much. My fear is that someone will see me on the bike and not wait the time for her to go by in the trailer, but I would only ride in my neighborhood where there are TONS of kids and bikes, so people are generally slow and alert.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC