Safe Carseat Mirror?

I know these are usually a no-no, but I have a new daycare girl who is starting Aug. 13th and she is 4 months old with severe reflux, and her mom said she chokes on her vomit ALOt and has to pull over sometimes.
I would feel alot better if I had a mirror. Any safer ones out there. I don't need anything fancy!

ADS
Correct me if I am wrong someone, but is it because in a crash if they fly off they can injure the baby/child? The only thing you want in your car is something you are willing to throw at your child hard???????

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Correct me if I am wrong someone, but is it because in a crash if they fly off they can injure the baby/child? The only thing you want in your car is something you are willing to throw at your child hard???????

That is correct.

There is also concern that a RF child who is in a seat that does not tether could cocoon into the mirror.

I have a mirror that is soft around the edges, made of flexible plastic, and tethers to the tether anchor. It probably is not 100% safe, but I have made the decision to use it from time-to-time. It is not installed in my car at all times.

Auntie2Avi

I found one at Target that actually goes around the headrest and has an additional strap around the side/back. I can take pics tomorrow, but as far as I could tell the only way the mirror could come off is with actual removal of the headrest.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I have, I will add pictures tomorrow of mine.

http://www.target.com/Eddie-Bauer-B...ie=UTF8&node=16022041&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

The child who I use the mirror for is RF in a tethered MA, so I don't feel that there is a huge rebound issue.

Last edited:

geth

see i never knew that! i got him one that way i could check on him but i never put it up. cause he either cries or sings while he's riding so i can hear him and know he's okay.
thanks for the info! and now i think i need to really clean out all the toys back there!

MandiRN

I bought the one Auntie2Avi linked too and didn't like it at all. It didn't have a tether, didn't stay in place well and I could barely see DD because it's reflective quality was poor. I was able to find a soft one that had a tether and it worked great. Let me search for a link.
ETA: I can't find a link but I think I got it at Baby Depot. I wish they had a better website! GL!

Last edited:

emars002

i had this one when they made it in navy:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4269003
the strap went under the headrest and around over the top - i didn't use it just on the top of the seat back like they did - it did have directions inside for wrapping it around a headrest - it won't fall off - i did have to adjust it every couple days though but it never came loose - there is fabric on the outside and it is a plastic like mirror - as far as the baby rebounding into it - i had never thought about this - i had that mirror long before this website so that is good to know! but i guess it use a britax or a radian and tether rf that shouldn't be a problem.

lorinick

I have one a soft one from BRU that also goes around the headrest and I also teethered it to the backseat. It's doesn't move. I couldn't live without it. I don't have any toys in my car but soft ones.

southpawboston

i have absolutely no problem with RFing mirrors as long as they're light and soft. the projectile fear is really not a serious issue if they are attached securely because they are so light to begin with. (i calculated once that in a severe crash, even IF it were never even attached to the headrest, it would amount to about a 5 lb projectile. that's WITHOUT being attached). being attached, if the attachment broke sometime after the initial impact, it would never even reach close to 5 lb worth of projectile since some crash energy would have already been dissipated. honestly, your purse or water bottle have much larger risks of becoming projectiles.

the worst that can happen is that during rebound after a front end collision, the baby may rotate rearward into the mirror. still, not a biggie in my mind if the mirror is soft. it's not like they're made from sharpened daggers.

tcottawa

Often for people addicted to their mirrors we have suggested installing them on the headrest in front of the seat NEXT to the child, with a piece of pool noodle angling the mirror such that the parent can see the child. I guess its still a projectile, but the child won't rotate into it...:twocents:

Thank you so much everyone! I will be looking into the mirrors suggested! When my boys were little I had some HEAVY duty mirrors with toys on them(hard ones)! (Before I knew better).
Any other mirror suggestions?

i never even thought about it as a projectile. i have a fisher price one that velcros around the headrest then has a clip similiar to the tether clip on a carseat that hooks over the velcro. the only way that is flying off the headrest is if the whole headrest flies out of the seat. i can't live without it my youngest won't rf unless she can talk to herself in it she is 13 months. i just figured rf is safer i'll risk the mirror coming loose.

abacus2

i have absolutely no problem with RFing mirrors as long as they're light and soft. the projectile fear is really not a serious issue if they are attached securely because they are so light to begin with. (i calculated once that in a severe crash, even IF it were never even attached to the headrest, it would amount to about a 5 lb projectile. that's WITHOUT being attached). being attached, if the attachment broke sometime after the initial impact, it would never even reach close to 5 lb worth of projectile since some crash energy would have already been dissipated. honestly, your purse or water bottle have much larger risks of becoming projectiles.

the worst that can happen is that during rebound after a front end collision, the baby may rotate rearward into the mirror. still, not a biggie in my mind if the mirror is soft. it's not like they're made from sharpened daggers.

I agree; I just don't see one of those soft, super light mirrors ever being a problem. A sippy cup is much riskier and I don't see those routinely recommended against.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC