Cosco Scenera forward facing at 1.

rosey2007

My SIL needs help with her Cosco Scerena. She says that her one year old son's head flops forward when he is sleep, so she will not use this car seat. Is his head flopping forward bad at this age, or is it okay. Her son is in the FF position(I know what you are saying and I plan on sending her the video's on this. Anyway, what do I do? I do not know what car seat she is using know, but I think it may have expired a long time ago(again I know about expired car seat).

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Most ff'ing carseats are going to result in head flopping in a 1yr old unless they are naturally very reclined like the MA and similar convertibles. In general kids who have big head flop problems and are small enough to rf can have the problem most easily fixed by being turned back rf'ing. Otherwise she's either going to have to just deal with it, or buy another seat with more support.

Is her dd over 22lbs and 34"? Those are the minimum requirements to use the Scenera ff'ing. And how old is this expired seat? It's possible she doesn't have the expired seat in the upright position and that's why she's getting the recline. I know that's been the case in every case of old expired seats that are giving kids a recline... in one case it was that the recline mechanism was broken and the seat wouldn't stay upright. :eek:

(The Scenera is allowed to be installed ff'ing without the kickstand being raised - so essentially in the recline position. However, I've seen it installed like that a few times and I'm just not comfortable with it. It creates a pretty significant recline and there's some research showing possible risk to a ff'ing child who is significantly reclined. If it was a choice between her keeping on using an expired seat though, vs. installing the scenera ff'ing in the recline position, I would use the scenera in the recline. But I would not explore that recline option right off the bat.)

mimieliza

I know you're working on convincing your sister about RFing, but I just don't get why she is so insistent on FFing if his head flops forward. My DD sleeps so well RFing, it's just so comfortable for little ones.

At one, though, the head flopping forward is okay, although uncomfortable. The baby will wake up and move their head if their airway is compromised. The danger is with tiny infants who don't have the strength to move their heads once they've fallen into that flopped forward position.

rosey2007

Well I get sent my sil a bunch of information about car seat safety. I hope that will help her out. I sure with that there was a class that was required by law that parents have to take in order to buy a car seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC