Are airlines charging to gate check a car seat

kmcenery

Someone asked on my parenting board. She did not buy a seat and will begate checking the infant car seat and stroller. I always by a seat for my daughter so I dont know about that but when I last flew in apr I gate checked my stroller for free.

ADS

Peony

I just flew United and Delta lat week, I gate checked our stroller, and didn't have any issues or had to pay. The only thing that was a PIA was changing the gate check tag for every leg of our flights (6 all together). :rolleyes:

Splash

I'm sure many of them are or soon will be. People are getting charged for gate checking bags, so I think it would only be reasonable to expect to pay to gate check a seat if they're on an airline that is charging extra for baggage.

some airlines are charging to gate check bags so seats are not far behind. my step father flies all the time and he asked about delta. he is a gold club member since he flies so much. they said that they will be charging to gate check car seats for children under 2 unless you buy them a seat (duh then they would use it), but not to gate check a stroller as they understand you would use it to get through the airport. an infant seat attached to the stroller will still cost you to check it at the gate as they want it checked at the luggage area.
he was told the only time they would not charge you is if you bought a seat for your child and the car seat was incompatible and you could not buckle it since that is not your fault.
personally i would bring the carseat through the airport and gate check it and pay there. then you have a chance of getting someone who won't make you pay and at the least at least you can feel better knowing the car seat is getting tossed around as little as possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC