Two items, what I over heard in babies r us/ and

kmcenery

Questions on how a tech can work at a baby store.
I was in babies r us today looking at a cover I just ordered for my efta and over head a couple asking what the difference between the Marathon and the boulevard. He told them that both seats were a waste of money and that the Graco comfort sport was just as good and would last just as long. I could not believe that. At that same time the tech that installs my car seats (well did) walked in to get his son a new seat and I told him what the guy said and he went over and talked to them and they got the boulevard.

Also I saw that one of the ladies on here works at baby depot. How can a tech work at a baby store. I would not be able to (im not a tech yet, my class is in September) because the store would lose out on money with the after market products. Do you just have to bypass what you know about after market products.

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
You can easily direct the customers to the more appropriate after market products. The thinner mats, etc. They tend to be cheaper, anyway. But, you can't save everybody, unfortunately. :(

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
If they want to be informed, I do it. If they don't, then they don't. Yes, my store makes less in after market products. But we make more in car seats. I sold more MA than the Enyon, PA store, which is supposedly a big store!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think the after market products are really my biggest hurdle when helping customers.

Although tonight I told a customer that as a tech if she came into a seat check I'd remove the seat saver and that I don't recommend them, however, as an employee of BRU I couldn't tell her not to buy it.

Mostly, I try and look the other way - most parents don't ask for advice about the seat savers anyways and a surprising number come in already knowing what seat they want to get and not wanting to talk to anyone. :shrug-shoulders: If they were to ask me if they're safe/recommended, I'd tell them. But I don't stop them from buying them...

Unfortunately, we only carry the thick prince lionheart seat savers. :( I'm still wondering what is going to happen in the event that a customer I've helped choose a seat comes into a seatcheck, is using the seatsavers, and I tell her she has to take the seat savers out. That could be an interesting situation... (maybe if enough people returned the seat savers they wouldn't carry them? wishful thinking...)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Although tonight I told a customer that as a tech if she came into a seat check I'd remove the seat saver and that I don't recommend them, however, as an employee of BRU I couldn't tell her not to buy it.

That is basically what I do.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
hehe, I tell them point blank that *if* they feel the need to use a mat, based on the research I've read, I'd like to point them towards the thinner, grippy mats, as opposed to the thick prince lionhart ones.

About 2 weeks in, my boss told me that our sales in "car seat accessories" had plummeted, and I told her point blank that while I couldn't stop someone from buying them, It was my responsibility as a tech to educate them, and and I did/do. Incidently, carseat sales went up 30%, and our customers are mostly buying Britax.

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure I sold any after-market products when I worked at Babies R Us summer 2006. We did carry the FP SVD which I sold a LOT of (we frequently ran out), MA's, Apex's, and LOTS of Chicco Cortina travel systems (w/ Keyfit carseat). We had one Graco travel system w/ rear adjusting Snugride and an Evenflo, I REALLY tried to steer people away from them. I had a lot of fun working there and only had a couple of situations where I really wanted to hit the people over the head w/ a 2x4. I also did a lot of steering away from combo boosters to convertibles for little ones outgrowing their infant seat.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I had a lot of fun working there and only had a couple of situations where I really wanted to hit the people over the head w/ a 2x4.

It is a good thing we don't have 2 X 4's at work, lol. I have wanted to use one on a few people. I do have a big plastic baseball bat though. Veeeerrry tempting.

Hey, that is my 4,000th post!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC