TrueFit RF in 08 Accord

jnh896

Hello,

I just got my new TrueFit today. This seat is for DH's car, which is a 2008 Honda Accord. We are going to keep her RF until the limits of the carseat.

I have questions:

1. Can I install the seat in the middle of the back seat? The car owner's manual did not specifically say not to, although the diagrams give the impression of installing the seat outboard.

There are only 4 LATCH achors, but there are 3 top tether slots behind the headrests, which leads me to believe that one could install a carseat in the middle seat. (Although I don't know how you could get 3 across, but that won't be an issue for us!)

2. Does anyone know the LATCH weight limit in the Accord or how I could find out? I could not find it in the car owner's manual. I know our Odyssey LATCH limit is 40 pounds, but that is written in the ODY manual. I don't want to assume that it is the same.

3. We have a BLVD in our ODY and it does not move. Since the TrueFit won't be tethered RF...how much movement at the top is acceptable?

I hope my questions are clear. As always, thanks for your help!

ADS

fyrfightermomma

Hi there :) I can't answer all the questions but I'll try to help with some.

For your car, you can always install a carseat with a seatbelt in the center, its the LATCH that is not allowed sometimes. Most cars that have only 4 LATCH anchors do not allow LATCH installations in the center (there are some exceptions...hopefully someone with a LATCH manual can help you out)

Until then, if you want a center install, just use the seatbelt until you know for sure.

Most cars only allow LATCH on the outboard positions. THe presence of 3 top tether anchors does not relate directly to the lower LATCH anchors. Cars had top anchors prior to lower anchors and carseats could be top tethered prior to having LATCH capabilities. The three top anchors are just so you can tether forward facing seats in all positions.

As for LATCH limits, if your Odessey is 40 lbs I would assume the other Honda would be the same but hopefully a tech with a LATCH manual can give us the confirmation on that.

Also for a rear facing seat that is not tethered, the amount of movement at the top of the seat does not matter. All that matters is the amount of movement at the belt path (where the seatbelt or LATCH strap goes). Grab right by the "hole" where the belt goes. If it moves less than an inch you are good! Movement at the top of the rearfacing seat is normal (and good) as non tethered seats are designed to move and cocoon in an accident.

Hope that helps!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
All Hondas have LATCH weight limits of 40 lbs., and Honda does not allow center lower LATCH installations using ("borrowing") the outboard lower LATCH anchors. Here's the list by vehicle manufacturer indicating LATCH weight limits and center LATCH allowability from the LATCH manual for reference:
http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/pg_126_max_wt_07.pdf

jnh896

Thanks for your replies.

I think I got a good install with the seat belt in the center and it was really pretty easy. My only complaint is that harness adjuster is really low and tight against the seatback.

Just 3 more questions:

1. Do I need to do anything else to "lock" the seatbelt itself or do the lock-offs take care of everything?

2. Are those shoulder pads for FF only (like my Britax?) i.e. they do not need to be used RF?

3. We only have 1 child. Would you always keep her in the middle seat (even when she turns FF) or is there any benefit at all to being outboard?

I swear, I read the manual thoroughly and it makes me feel like a dummy. I just want to be sure that I installed correctly, especially since I don't usually use the seatbelt.

Thanks again for your help!

featherhead

The lockoffs will keep the seatbelt tight until a crash, where the emergency locking retractor will kick in (unless its a lap belt, I have no idea how those work).

The shoulder pads do not have to be used at all. It's up to you if you feel like you need to use them.

For seating position, I would use which ever one is the best installation, and is the most convenient for you. The centre is technically the safest, but rear-facing is very safe no matter what.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC