Monarch or Monterrey?

jdubsm

I need to get a third booster seat for emergency pick ups for the kids. I have two Parkways already but need something for my 4 1/2 yr old. His primary seat is a Regent. This would only be used for emergencies if my mom had to pick them up from school so it would be a one mile drive. I know crashes can happen within one mile of home but the reason I mention it is that I know he can sit correctly for 15-30 minutes in a booster. He is a four year old boy though so I would never expect more than that. My mom cannot install a harnessed seat with her arthritis so a booster is our best/only option.

I can't find either seat locally so I can't try him out in them. He does fit very well in his sister's Parkways though. Also I need to try to get 3 across in a new Prius. Is that even possible? Also is there another seat that you would recommend besides these two? I want something that has good SIP so it hugs him(like the Parkway). He's a lightweight at 33-34lbs and is 41" tall.

TIA!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Recaro Start? ;) (Note - I'm totally kidding - jdubsm got to see my Start at the last seat-check we did together. The Start would be overkill for this situation!)

I think I'd go with another Parkway, if you can still find one. They fit smaller kids so well, you can't mess up the seatbelt routing, and they're the most likely to fit 3-across.

What color are the Parkways you already have? If you can't find another one, maybe you could get a new booster (like the Monterey) for one of the girls and hand-down the Parkway for your son?

Gypsy has a Monterey, now, btw. If she can make it to the next seat-check, I'm sure she'd be happy to bring it and let you check it out.

Or - if you're heading out this direction sometime this month, maybe we could have a little play-date at a park, or possibly even my back yard?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My *very* basic run-down of the benefits....

Parkway: lightest weight, fits in tight squeezes best

Monarch: more TSIP, can be used backless for emergency/travel

Monterey: sturdiest, fits longest, same backles option, LATCH makes it easier for kids to buckle themselves (no tipping) & you don't have to worry about nagging kiddo to rebuckle when they exit the vehicle (preventing risk to other occupants by booster becoming projectile)

jdubsm

LOL Debbie! I'd love a Recaro Start but I think it's little out of my price range. I'd love to see Gypsy's Monterey. At our last seat check I was able to see the Monarch and like it so much more than the Parkway.

I was shying away from another Parkway because of the tipping issue. They work great in our Corolla on the side seats but won't work in the middle. It tips because of the way the seat is. I was hoping that one of the other boosters might have a more stable base. Are they both wider than the Parkway? I didn't like the FP booster seats that I had so I sold them. I know they are narrow though and great for three across.

you don't have to worry about nagging kiddo to rebuckle when they exit the vehicle (preventing risk to other occupants by booster becoming projectile)

Then I'd just have to find something else to nag about. LOL!! LATCH isn't too much of a concern right now since it's not in dh's car and I don't think my mom could/would use it in hers for the quick emergency pick ups. It will come in handy 10 years down the line when I feel comfortable moving them to a booster full time though. :whistle:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'm essentially a single mom, so working out childcare has been $$$, but I might be able to make the next seat check.

You are more then welcome to check out my Monterey :)

Defrost

Hm... well, I'll try to remind Gypsy to bring the Monterey and the Parkway, and we can compare the width. :)

jdubsm

I'll bring a Parkway and we can compare the three. I think I'll be working the check next Friday in Meridian at the FD and then the one in Kuna on the 16th. Hopefully we can meet up again one of these days.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'll bring a Parkway and we can compare the three. I think I'll be working the check next Friday in Meridian at the FD and then the one in Kuna on the 16th. Hopefully we can meet up again one of these days.

Next week is completely out for me - my baby sitter is out of town next week.

I might be able to do the 16th in Kuna but it's over an hour away, which sucks!

BTW I have a Parkway & the Monterey, Debbie has a Start - my daughter is roughly the same size as Scatterbunny's dd H, and we can take pics of her in all three seats installed in either my van or Debbie's Mazda 5. She hates posing for carseat pics though, so I might have to bribe her.

Defrost

I definitely can't make the one next Friday, but I was hoping to go to the one in Kuna.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC