Carseat picture

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Here's the preemie "Elfy" at 6 months (adjust age = 3 months) & 13# in the Graco SafeSeat 1:
GracoSafeSeat1-FordFreestar.jpg

The folded paper test showed it was 45-degrees but the picture makes it look more upright, doesn't it :confused: My cell phone pix are pretty blurry lately *SIGH*

I'm hoping to get a clear close up of Leila in the RYSport & 1 of all 3 seats (RYSport, Husky & SS1) in my Freestar this Thursday ... I have SD in Husky passenger outboard 3rd row, infant driver outboard 3rd row, Leila in the center middle row -- any combination of 2 of these seats work next to eachother in the middle row, but of course the 3 together don't fit in the rear all at the same time ... maybe I can get the Starriser Comfy between the SS1 & RYSport (looks like there's space enough for a Ride Safer Travel Vest betwen the Husky & SS1, though) :eek:

ADS

Tara

awww so tiny..but I say the same thing about my own nearly 3 month old hehe He's certainly growing but he's still 'tiny' Sweet little baby kind of tiny.

Anywho..yeah, that does look awfully upright. Is it just the pic makes it look that way, really?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah -- I was at a horrible angle with the camera phone (actually, I was holding it out where I couldn't see, LOL) & didn't get any of the vehicle around it in the shot for comparison ... I'll probably ditch it & try for a better one, but it won't be for a few weeks because we have comflicting vacation time scheduled. Oh & her head is HUGE, so that doesn't help with it looking like it's crooked forward, LOL -- it really isn't, it's just a big noggin! :p Also, you can just barely see that the lowest slot is even with her shoulders.... Wish I'd remembered to get her length measurement & mom forgot what the Ped said (she's more concerned about Elfy's weight at this point).

scatterbunny

Aww, she's so cute! :)

I like the looks of the buckle on the SS1. Next picture, can you get more of the seat, including the head support? I'd like to see how much growing room she has until she's too tall, and also how the head support fits.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's a great weight! Evan was only 14#15oz at 6 mos and he was full term. lol I just bought a SS1 today from someone who got a great deal in her area, but dind't need it. I'm so excited to get it!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
What a cutie! And 13# is great for 3 months adjusted age. My oldest barely weighed 13 lbs. at 4 months old. and she was considered full term but just barely, born at 36 weeks, 5 days, weighing 5 lbs. 15 oz.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sure thing, Jenny -- hopefully I can borrow my dad's digital camera in stead!

Jennifer -- her 1st 2 kids were almost this heavy at birth & the Ped. is concerned about Elfy's weight so mom is too :eek: She had already started her on foods, but is going back to formula.... But, yeah, Leila was only about 15# at 6 months so I tried to encourage her not to feel bad :)

scatterbunny

Hayley was the odd preemie, born at 35 weeks, weighing 4 pounds, 7 ounces, but weighed 13 pounds by 3 months old, LOL. She was 21 pounds at 9-10 months. And just keeps growing and growing and growing...

Still, that IS a very healthy weight for her adjusted age, and she looks good. Not all babies catch up right away--I think doctors say to continue using the adjusted age until 2-3 years old, because it can take that long to catch up developmentally.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yep, she still has trouble holding her head up & can't push her upper body with her arms ... I also learned in my class that the RF recommendation for preemies is 18 months, not 12 ;)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
They should rf till at least 12 mos adjusted age and 20-22#, I think overall the reccomendation for all children is at least 18 mos (that's the age they kept mentioning in my class). I guess the idea that people would keep their children rfing longer that is too hard to picture for 'normal' people (we're not normal here, lol).

It was hard to not worry about Evan's weight too, but I just had to realize he was a different child and is just different. At 16 mos, he's the same size AJ was at 10 mos, so it was hard at first, but I've learned to accept Evan is just going to be little, and thus rfing that much longer. ;)

skaterbabs

when I had my class both the instructors and my classmates were impressed that my 18 mo was still RF with no plans to turn her any time soon. I was a little dissapointed that they didn't really get into extended RF though.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My instructors didn't really give great ideas on how to encourage parents on extended RF, but they did repeatedly stress the difference MINIMUM vs. IDEAL recommendation.... A few were impressed with my idea to have the AAP policy on hand to give parents suggestion they discuss it with Peds who give the wrong information :)

I'll have to check my papers again, but they did say 18 months for preemies & I read it in there somewhere, too :confused: :eek:

skaterbabs

My instructors said the main reasobn they don't stress extended harnessing or extended RF is because there just isn't enough time during the lcass to get into it.

Kristen

Here in Canada we are told to say that it is best to leave them rf to the upper limits of the seat, this is also on all our literature. I wish mine could have stayed rearfacing longer, but they keep outgrowing seats in height :rolleyes:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We talked about it briefly and we were told to tell parents that the AAP reccomends keeping children rfing till they outgrew the seat rfing. I don't know how many times I said that whole little deal at our check, since only 1 seat we checked was for a child over 1! :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Here's a fun pic of Leila in her RYSport, ready for school today :)

RecaroYoungSport--FordFreestar.jpg

No borrowed digital camera yet, though, just my cell phone, so I can't get clear close-ups....

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Wow, the buckle on the SS1 looks big on her.

Is the sport wide? It looks rather wide in that photo. I also wish they would harness to 65+ pounds. I love recaro adult seats but i wish they would surpass the standards in child seats too.

Congrats on your certification btw i missed the old post and i dont want to bump it so i'll just say congrats here! Hows it feel to be certified? (again living vicariously)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I really wish there was at least one more harness slot higher & the weight limit were 65# or 80# for the RYSport -- it would be the PERFECT seat (if the foot rest could be used on it, LOL) :D I measured the RYSport:
  • It's about 17" at its widest part (the torso/shoulder wings) & about 15" across the belt path
& thanks, Dreamin' ... I'm super excited, ya might even say thrilled! :p

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC