Question touching my seat

geth

is it unsafe for his seat to be touching mine? i can't move my seat any further forward cause it's as far as it goes now cause i'm short. but i noticed when i was trying to put it back in it does touch the seats. i wasn't sure if that was okay.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
FAQ said:
#48: My rear-facing carseat is touching the back of the seat in front of it? Is that OK?

Please consult the owner's manual of your carseat. For most carseats, this is not a problem and may actually improve safety. At least one carseat, the Century Smart Move, does require the seat to be able to rotate freely toward the back of the vehicle in a crash. Best practice from the NHTSA training manual states, "A rear-facing seat can be installed so it rests against the back of the vehicle seat ahead if not counter to manufacturers instructions....If the gap is small or the child is on the heavy side, it is much better to be already touching any forward structure prior to a crash than to hit it during the crash. Resting against a forward seat back is only one way to achieve these benefits."
What is the carseat? (Ex: Cosco Scenera, etc.) :confused:

We may be able to offer you more specific help if you can share your vehicle year/make/model info + kiddo's age :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hm, unfortunately I do know Evenflo is 1 of the rare manufacturers who might disallow this -- however, I don't have access to the manual for that particular seat.... Hopefully someone else can verify!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
That FAQ should probably be updated to instruct people to check their vehicle owner's manual, too. Some vehicle manufacturers prohibit touching because it can (supposedly) interfere with the front airbag sensors.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I looked through the Titan manual and did not see the 1.5 inch clearance requirement that Evenflo has for infant seats. If someone else wants to look to I would be happy to emai lthe PDF. Just send me a PM with your email addy. I cannot attach it as it is too large.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
That FAQ should probably be updated to instruct people to check their vehicle owner's manual, too. Some vehicle manufacturers prohibit touching because it can (supposedly) interfere with the front airbag sensors.

It actually mentions this in the manual. They should update that.

geth

i can't find my instructions! which i knew i put them in a place i wouldn't lose them and of course i forgot that place. and my car is used and i don't have a manual. where can i find out about my car?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I can email you a copy of the Titan manual if you give me your email address.
As for the vehicle manual you need to contact the maufacturer and tell them you would like a manual for your vehicle if possible. You could also check a salvage yard for a manual thay sometimes have them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC