Trouble getting child out in car line...HELP!

mcnealfamily

At our school car line the School crossing guards will open the minivan door but my twin girls have to unbuckle their car seats and get out on their own. They start school in a couple of weeks and the problem is that they are not strong enough to push the crotch button down (they can do the top no problem).

Does anyone know of a product out there that we could provide to our child when it is time to get out of the car that would help them unlatch?

Thanks

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't know of any product. Is it possible that you could park in the parking lot, unbuckle them and walk them up to the school door? I guess I'm not sure why the crossing guard can open the door but not push the button for them...but I know schools have weird rules these days.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I seem to remember reading something about using the back of a spoon... :shrug-shoulders: It was a suggestion for older arthritic people, but it might help your kids.

Mom to a few

My younger kids (3.5 yrs and 5.5 yrs) aren't strong enough to do it either. I just put the van in park (which is the safer thing to do anyway), twist myself around, and unbuckle them myself (the two who can't do it are both in the captain's chairs). It's not that hard for me to reach them--and their seats are pushed all the way back. It's even easier if I'm in my husband's sedan. Good luck!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I don't know of any product. Is it possible that you could park in the parking lot, unbuckle them and walk them up to the school door? I guess I'm not sure why the crossing guard can open the door but not push the button for them...but I know schools have weird rules these days.

I think it's for liability reasons, so the crossing guards don't have their hands in that area.

MorgieBear'sMama

Can you rech back and unbuckle them?

That's what I do w/ my 4.5 yr old so she can get out by herself at home and I don't have to go to both sides of the van.

scatterbunny

How old, tall and heavy are the twins?

Are they both in the second row? If so, I like the previous poster's idea of twisting around and unbuckling for them. It might be a strain, but if it's doable, that's the route I'd take. Otherwise, I'd park and walk them in to school.

My last resort, if they are old enough, big enough and mature enough, would be to use boosters only for the school drop-off, but that is only if they are old enough, big enough and mature enough, and you don't mind reinstalling the harnessed seats for other car rides.

What seats are they in?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I unbuckled myself to twist around & unbuckle kiddo . . . otherwise, we just left early & parked so I could walk her to the front doors.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I agree, chances are pyutting teh car in park and swiveling around, even getting up and walking back (its a minivan, right?) to unlatch their seats and then sitting back down yourself, is easiest..otherwise, parking(not in the line of course, whereever parking is allowed, a block over maybe?) and walking them to the door.
Another possibility, if money isn't a big concern, or if they are close to outgrowing their seats anyway, is to get new seats they CAN unbuckle themselves. Jenny suggested boosters, but, while that is an option, it is possible that *certain* harnessed seats might fit that bill also.
i'm not sure how old these kids are, but my dd is 3.75 years, and she got a graco nautilus (harnesses to 65 pounds, then converts to a booster) and she is completely able to unbuckle herself in *that* seat, although she can't in other seats. I have heard other people say this also, that their kids can unbuckle themselves in some seats, just not others.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Some kids are able to learn how to do it themselves with a bit of practice. Maybe you could bring their seats into the house and supervise them practicing? My dd can only un-do her harness by using both thumbs - she's older, of course, but she's been doing it for quite a while.

ginny4

really what is an extra 30sec when you do drop off. seriously. what is the rush. i don't/won't do it everyday as they take the bus usually but if i'm going that direction then i will drive them & i will twist around to do a quick unbuckle. no biggie.

mcnealfamily

Forgive me for not mentioning it, but they are located in the back bench seat of our Honda Odyssey...twins. We have a new born who is a week old who will be in the captains chair so turning around isn't an option.

I made a homemade type of device so one can unlatch herself and then undo her sisters after she is out.

scoutingbear

Here's a thought...going along with the homemade device, when ds #2 was 11 months, he managed to buckle his MA accidentally by using a sippy cup handle positioned with a good hard wack against the buckle! So, I am thinking that pretty much anything that can be used for leverage to help push the button in would work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC