Tips for travelling with a baby?

K

kimca01

We are going to Maui for 2 weeks next month for a friends wedding. It's a 5 - 6 hour flights with small layovers in Seattle and Honolulu. (We are in Victoria, close to Vancouver)

Morgan, our son, will be 8 months when we go. We've never travelled with him before, this will be his first plane ride. He's a very easy going baby but still, I have to tell you, it makes me nervous just thinking about it!

He'll take a soother and I'm no longer breastfeeding so I'll have bottles, snacks, toys etc. but does anyone have any tips for travelling with a baby?

Thanks!

Kim

newmorgiesig.jpg

ADS

scatterbunny

Will he have his own seat on the plane? If so, being in his carseat should help immensely, because he'll be used to it. The safety benefits of doing this instead of holding him on your lap are important to note, as well.

I've never actually flown with my child, so I don't have any other really great tips, but I know lots of other parents here will! :)

skaterbabs

You definately want him in his car seat on the plane. When we flew with my DD we took her seat and I was VERY glad we did. One, I didn't know it at the time, but I found air travel made me very nauseus. Having her in her own seat made dealing with my own illness much easier - especially when we hit some pretty intense turbulence. She was safe and sound in her infant seat, and actually slept most of the way.
We brought our travel system stroller with us as well, and it was a HUGE help going through the airports during layovers. We also took an aluminum-framed backpack carrier for her when she wanted out of the seat after we reached our destination. DH put her in the backpack and I pushed her stroller with the luggage. lol

Longhorn Lady

If you are going to have a lot of things to carry around the airport, I'd suggest buying a cheap luggage cart to attach your MA to and then strap your son in it to go through the airport. There is a company that makes carts that are made just for Britax seats, but they are a bit pricey if you don't travel often enough.

As for your son, I'd just make sure you have plenty of the necesities, since you have a larger chance of being delayed/missing a flight, etc. since you have two layovers. And I'm not sure which terminal you'll be at in Seattle or how long your layover there is, but they have little 'playlands' all over that airport for kids to hang out at. Even though your son is so young, maybe he'd get some energy out just crawling around it, so he'll sleep on the plane ;) And make sure he's sucking on his pacifier or bottle during take off and landing to help with ear pressure.

Enjoy :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Have Fun!!! :d

What carseat do you have??? If it's FAA approved you should use it on the plane ... I imagine he'll want to use his legs sometimes, but turbulence injures many toddlers in the air :( If you have a Britax higher weight convertible, you can also get a GogoKidz for strolling him or at least the carseat through the airports -- when he's not in the carseat while walking on land then you can buckle your carryons into it ;) In the airplane, I found that using carseats RF are easier & it keeps kiddo from kicking the person in front (hopefully the passenger behind won't use the food tray, LOL) ... lift the fabric & foam lining to buckle under it all & you can add a layer of blankey on top for comfort (this is acceptable in airplanes, but NOT while in cars).

When I took my DD to Florida from NY, I had a backpack with the Crayola "magic" paper for use with "invisible" markers & finger paints (found at Staples & Kmart), books, blankey, playdough, walkman with her favorite music, puppets, etc. I hear it helps for infants/toddlers to suck on a boob/bottle during lift off & landing, but no personal experience there.
  • RF-BritaxWizard-AirPlane.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC