Question Question about AOE

cdncasper

For those who have had or do have an AOE............
how old was your child when they outgrew it??
did they outgrow it by height or weight?

I am just so surprised that Jenna still fits in her AOE by both height and weight at 4 yrs 2 mths when my nephew was 2 1/2 and outgrew it by height.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't have one, but my neighbor briefly had one for his almost 4yr old almost 40lb son last summer. His son fit it with about 1/4" of room to grow, and had about 2lbs to spare, so he would've outgrown it by height and weight right about the same time.

Last time I sat Jillian in one, she had some growing room as well - maybe 1/2" or so? She's recently had a torso growth spurt though, so with her being 35lbs it's safe to say she's outgrown by height before weight.

Basically, any kid outgrowing the AOE by height, would be using the top slots in the MA and the Radian and would be over them by a little bit. The top harness height is 15.5", so it's really not an every day occurrence for a 2.5yr old to outgrow the top harness height of the AOE. Definitely happens, but I also wouldn't consider it totally abnormal for a 4yr old to still fit the harness by height. :thumbsup:

Mommy2Five

My 4 y/o DS is about an inch over the top slots at 34lbs.

My 2.11 y/o DS is dead even with the top slots, and only 29lbs. :eek:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I don't have one, but set my DD in my friend's DD's AOE and she was too tall (this was right after her 2nd birthday, 26 lbs). Her friend was 2 weeks older, 2 pounds heavier, and was using the top (booster-only) slots.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I wonder how common it is then for a kid to have a 15.5" torso at 2yrs old? I've got to admit it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me when I don't see that many 2yr olds using the top harness slots in the MA and Radian. :eek:

(Although they're definitely out there, I know that, I just wonder at the frequency of it, and how many kids are actually outgrowing the MA by height well before booster age too. 1.5" torso room isn't enough to get most kids from 2yrs old to 4.5 or 5yrs old... Makes me wonder if telling people that most kids will get to a safe booster age in a MA is anywhere near accurate.)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My AO is out on (probably permanent) loan, but DS wouldn't have outgrown it until he turned 6! He is small overall, AND leggy/short torsoed for his height. :love:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wonder how common it is then for a kid to have a 15.5" torso at 2yrs old? I've got to admit it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me when I don't see that many 2yr olds using the top harness slots in the MA and Radian. :eek:

1) Often a lot of padding in those seats.

2) I don't think they're any higher than 14.5". With the top booster slot being 17.5".

Wendy

monzogary

Senior Community Member
My youngest would have outgrown it by weight first, because even now at just turned 5yo, 42.5" and 43# she would still just fit height-wise, and she is just under 50% for height and just over 50% for weight on the growth charts. She has an almost 15" torso and has a little room in the AOE. These pics were taken a few months ago:

Top harness height on Alpha Luxe 3 in 1 is about 15.5":
2423758548_0dcae3328f.jpg

Top harness height on Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 is just a smidge taller than 15.5":
2422945097_eefd21f728.jpg

dd#3 in the regular AO:
0218081855.jpg

full shot regular AO:
0218081854.jpg

dd#3 in AOE:
0218081847.jpg

full shot AOE:
0218081847b.jpg

DISCLAIMER: THE CHILD IN THESE PICTURES IS TOO HEAVY TO ACTUALLY USE THIS SEAT AND YES, THE HARNESS IS IN THE TOP USABLE POSITION, NOT THE TOP ONE FOR BOOSTER ONLY!

Mommy0608

I had the AO for a while (wish I'd known better before I bought it!) DD outgrew it RF at 18-19 months, even though she was only 20lbs. I was not ready to turn her FF at that time, so I got a Triumph Advance. The pic in my siggy is her on her 2nd birthday in the Triumph Advance, you can see she has LOTS more torso growth room to stay RF. She's only 23lbs. :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

I don't think it's very common, but it is weird that both DD and her friend who are 2 weeks apart had both outgrown it by 2.

DD would have been on the top slots in the Marathon at that point if she was FFing. She was in the top slot on the Radian when we turned her FF at a couple months before 3.

DD's friend was using a Boulevard until her Regent came, and she was RIGHT at the top setting at 34 months old.

1) Often a lot of padding in those seats.

2) I don't think they're any higher than 14.5". With the top booster slot being 17.5".

Wendy

Yes, her model is the old one with short slots (less than 15").

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I am just so surprised that Jenna still fits in her AOE by both height and weight at 4 yrs 2 mths when my nephew was 2 1/2 and outgrew it by height.

It always surprises me when I see preschoolers who still fit because Leila was also ~2ish when she outgrew our cousin's by height. I think it's harness slot was shorter than 15" but I also think my kid's torso has remained pretty steady since that age while her legs have grown exponentially :p

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well, ours is a new one, and dd fits in it with a tiny bit of room left. She is nearly 4, 37 pounds, and a 15.25 inch torso...she could still be RFing in it if she were 2 pounds less.

loufrando

My ydd is on the top slots (the few times she's been ff) in her MA and she's 2. My kids are very tall and long torsoed though, so I'm not claiming this is the average or anything.

On the other hand, I agree with the pp about the torso growth way leveling off as they get older. My older dd is even taller and more long torsoed than my younger one and she just outgrew the MA by height a few months ago. She's 47 inches tall with a 17 inch torso now (man she's grown legs!!!) and she's not quite 5 yrs old. I think that is an acceptable booster age (4.5 is when she outgrew the MA) for most people.

I think alot of times a kid will be almost at the top slots of a seat and you'll think they're gonna be out of it any minute and then 6 months later they're still hanging out at the same spot.

It sounds like simply a case of the newer AO's lasting a bit longer than the old ones. Maybe .5 to 1 inch taller top slots?

With the new ones coming out in about a month with the top (booster) slots being useable (17-17.5), we're going to have to get used to not saying that the AO's are outgrown super early. I for one am glad about that, since they are such a popular seat. Yay for the end of mass misuse of this seat! :D

Last edited:

northernmommy

Both of my DD's outgrew the AO by 2.75yrs, but have room left in their RN/TF. However, it was an older one (DOM 2002), so maybe the slots were lower? I know of quite a few people who had the same seat and their kids outgrew it at about the same time.

Kat_Momof3

I never owned one, but I had a scenera and tested Ruthie in it and other cosco seats to see if they ran the same... she outgrew them all at 2.5yrs old... by HEIGHT... she was only 33-35lbs at the time.

she outgrew the Regular 40lb limit triumph for rf at about 15-18mo, but she actually fit in it ff as long as the Marathon, except she hit the weight limit for it before she could outgrow it.

Just throwing that fun fact out there.

scatterbunny

My dd was too tall for the regular AO (14.5 inch top slots) at 2.5 years old and 35 pounds. She would have probably made it to 40 pounds (and 3y4mo) in the 15.5 inch top slots of the AOE, because her torso growth started slowing down, and because she has always been evenly proportioned for height and weight. I could see a long-torsoed child outgrowing the 15.5 inch top slots of the AOE before 40 pounds, though. Because many kids are hitting 40 pounds at 3ish and because some kids will be too tall before 40 pounds anyway, I like to recommend the HWH convertibles that are comparable in price to the AOE/EB 3-in-1, but I don't think the current AOE with 15.5" top slots is a bad seat...just not a great one.

The not-yet-released, revised version sounds fantastic, though: 50 pound weight limit, and top headrest setting will be useable with the harness. :thumbsup: So, 17-17.5 inch top slots, and a 50 pound weight limit, plus the tall seat shell and 35 pound rear-facing weight limit.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The not-yet-released, revised version sounds fantastic, though: 50 pound weight limit, and top headrest setting will be useable with the harness. :thumbsup: So, 17-17.5 inch top slots, and a 50 pound weight limit, plus the tall seat shell and 35 pound rear-facing weight limit.
Yes indeed -- I just wish they'd give it a completely new name so I'm not constantly confused....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC