UH OH, not so good Frontier reviews at Babycenter.com...

mamabear

I got an email from Parentcenter today, and at the bottom they had a link to booster/carseats, which takes you to Babycenter.com.

Most of the reviews say there are installation difficulties.
As well, most of the installation difficulties are in regards to where LATCH is located. The people are saying they can't get it tight.

How much do you want to be they aren't pulling the LATCH straps through the slits in the cover???

Someone should post a review setting these people straight:whistle:

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There's definitely a trick to getting the LATCH tight, at least in my Sienna, which is the only place I've installed it so far. Those LATCH adjusters hit the seat and I have to work to get them positioned through the belt path holes in order to get the seat tight.

HEVY

No one mentioned the LBP or even if they tried it. I would think the newer cars that have LATCH would also have longer seatbelts.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A tech I know has installed probably eight Frontiers for clients, and I think she said that one of them was completely incompatible, even with LATCH. This woman has installed probably thousands of seats and knows all the tricks in the book--so for whatever reason, it just absolutely did not work in that car (LBP and SBP were out, too). If I remember, I'll try to find out what car it was.

Anyway, there were good reviews of the Frontier over on BBC, too. People are entitled not to like it. It is sort of a PITA, especially for someone who isn't familiar with seats or has never seen a LBP install before.

mish

It is sort of a PITA, especially for someone who isn't familiar with seats or has never seen a LBP install before.

I agree with this. I wouldn't recommend this seat to someone who isn't very experienced in installing seats.

keri1292

I'm thinking of getting ds a Frontier when he outgrows the MA because I'll be handing dd's Regent down when he outgrows the Frontier or she outgrows the Regent, whichever happens first. Please tell me the install is slightly easier than the Regent. I hate moving that thing. :rolleyes:

Heather98012

Ugh, I tried to do a review, but it keeps giving me an error as if my comments section is empty (which it isn't). I'll try again later.

It is a pita to install with short belt path in my van in the captains chair or any seating position. Super easy with latch though. And once we installed with LBP it was alot easier and now is in their TIGHT!

I would not suggest this seat for anyone who does not know how to install carseats though. I would suggest the nautilus.

loufrando

I'm torn over whether I should get this or the Nautilus for when S turns ff (I think I'm going to sell the MA for one of these for better long term use). I'm kind of scared by the 'bad install' stories and I was completely convinced and set to buy a Nautilus, but now that I see how tall it adjusts as a LATCHed HBB... well I don't know. I'm so glad I still have months and months (hopefully) to read all of these threads and digest...:cool:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've only installed it a few times with the LBP and it's a bit tricky for some reason--I think it's because of the head restraint getting in the way. The Regent doesn't have that and I can install that seat with the LBP in my Sienna in under 2 minutes quite easily. For the Frontier, like any other seat, the more you install it, the easier it gets. :shrug-shoulders:

a_js

I'm in the "don't like it" camp, but I think it totally depends on the vehicle. I would recommend it for someone with a Subaru with LATCH :p but that's about the only time.

essnce629

I agree with this. I wouldn't recommend this seat to someone who isn't very experienced in installing seats.

I've installed the Frontier in four different cars so far using SBP and have had ZERO problems, but I still recommend the Nautilus to "regular" people since it's cheaper and I know it's pretty straightforward to install.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I do the LBP in our Hondas and get it rock solid in under 10 minutes. I think it's easy.

I can install mine in our odyssey under 10 as well. But I still wouldn't call it easy!! I'm breaking a sweat in the 100 degree heat by the time it's installed. I can install a FF MA in no time to flat. Buckle it in, pull it tight, done. I consider the MA easy. I don't consider the Frontier easy. Love the seat, don't love the install.

fyrfightermomma

Wow....I am baffled at how hard a time people are having. Maybe I have good cars?? Who knows.

I've never had a car yet I couldn't get a solid install in in under 5 min. An impala, taurus, grand caravan, Malibu, Cr-V, Town and Country and a Jetta.

I have done LATCH, SBP, and LBP. I think once I figured out the "tricks" I just was able to adapt to each car and pick which install I knew would work best. Now I can tell just by looking at the car which one to try first.

However, I would never recommend it to someone who isn't a car seat nerd like me because theres too many variables. Most people can't install a carseat with one belt path correctly, let alone 3 different ways to install the seat! I stick with the GN for them then!

Wineaux

How easy were the installs with both LATCH and seatbelt at the same time? Britax is now allowing this for better SIP as long as it doesn't interfere with the S/B install. IE offset LATCH connectors.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
How easy were the installs with both LATCH and seatbelt at the same time? Britax is now allowing this for better SIP as long as it doesn't interfere with the S/B install. IE offset LATCH connectors.

No! This is for booster mode only! Not for installing the seat in harnessed mode.

In booster mode they advise not to use the lower anchors if there is difficulty buckling the seatbelt, otherwise they should be used in booster mode. For harnessed mode, it's LATCH OR Seatbelt, never both.

:)

Wineaux

I was meaning in booster only mode. Sorry that I didn't specify or word it very well. My bad. I'm still curious as to how many vehicles are fitting well with this combo. IE still being able to use the S/B when installed with LATCH for booster only mode.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Gotcha. Works fantastic in my Escape, which is a fairly narrow seating position. I've heard it's a problem in a friend's Mercedes SUV, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC