Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

petenscary

my truck (96 dakota)

I am trying to find out if my truck a 96 dodge dakota is ok to put an infant seat with a base in the front?
    There is no passenger air bag. It is a king cab, but not nearly big enough for a baby seat in the back seat.
    Is it SAFE to put it in the front, or just acceptable.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Caviller

Semantics of "Acceptable"...

If there is no passenger side airbag, or if an airbag has been disabled, then it would be "acceptable" to put a rear-facing carseat in the front passenger seat.

It is certainly not the safest choice, as the NHTSA and other child passenger safety organizations recommend that ALL children 12 and under ride in the back seat.

If you must put a carseat up front, also make sure the seat is moved as far back as possible. That will minimize the risk of contact with the dash.

petenscary

thanks

Thanks for your response, I appreciate the time you took to answer my question. Have there been any tests, or are there any stats that you know of, on pickups and baby seats?

Caviller

No public tests

Most carseats are tested on sleds. Tests with specific vehicles are certainly done, but are most likely proprietary and completed by the auto manufacturers.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

petenscary

thanks again !!

Hey, thanks again for your response!
    I am glad I kind of stumbled onto this site, it is a good resource for information that my wife and I have been looking for.
    thank you!! pete-

Caviller

Anytime! Don't forget to have your seat inspected!

You can find a trained Child Passenger Safety Techinican through many hospitals, public health departments, local SafeKids coalitions, a few new car dealers as well as police and fire stations. The FAQ link under the top banner has some other resources to find technicians in your area. Many areas have free events on the weekeds, too.

Good luck!