Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cosco Scenera

Question Cosco Scenera

I just bought this today as our spare car seat. I needed something that was light and easy to install to get in and out of the car.

I'm finding it REALLY hard to get it in tight. I'm trying to get it in RF but it is just not working and I'm about ready to give up and take it back to the store. Would it be worth spending the $25 extra to get an uptown? ....will that be any easier.

Any tips or anything to help get the cosco in tighter? I tried doing it with out a noddle and with a noddle and get the same result! I can get the base pretty tight (Not as tight as my MA) But the shell just flips all over the place.

HELP!

This is a video of how loose it is install with the LATCH.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...avannah394.flv

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST Instructor

Re: Cosco Scenera

When testing for tightness, only check at the belt path, not at the upper part of the shell. As long as you have less than an inch of movement at the belt path, you're good to go. Thanks for the video!

Rachel, CPST-I
    Dd1 : 5/03 : 60 lbs : Monterey and Turbo
    Dd2 : 11/05 : 51 lbs : Regent and True Fit

Quote Originally Posted by RJB78 View Post
    When testing for tightness, only check at the belt path, not at the upper part of the shell. As long as you have less than an inch of movement at the belt path, you're good to go. Thanks for the video!
    So that is safe for it to move that much at the top? That just really looks unsafe to me.

Is the uptown easier to install and move less on the top?

I'm just lost! Not sure what to do. To keep it or take it back and get the uptown.

CPS Technician

All seats that can't be top tethered when RF will have movement at the top. It's been crash tested and deemed safe.

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

I messed around with it a little more and got it much tighter!!

The top still moves a little like you guys said it would but not nearly as much!

Is the foot of the seat on the pool noodles, or are they just filling that space behind it? I would think it would be tighter if the foot was pressing onto the noodle pyramid.

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sceason1972 View Post
    Is the foot of the seat on the pool noodles, or are they just filling that space behind it? I would think it would be tighter if the foot was pressing onto the noodle pyramid.
    It's definitely hard to tell in the video, if the foot/front of the bottom of the Scenera shell is resting on the pool noodle pyramid, or not.

Here's how my friend's Scenera looks when installed RF with a pool noodle pyramid in her 99 Sable (with seatbelt; pay no attention to that; just the placement of the noodle pyramid ):
    Last edited by scatterbunny; 09-25-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

I can not see your attached photo it tells me I do not have permission to access.

This is the video I took last night with it installed with out the noddle

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...scocarseat.flv

It is kind of dark because it was 8 pm and the sun was going down but I wouldn't give up! lol

I will take better pictures today if I have time!

Should I still be using a noddle?? I just can not get it tight with one.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Hi adbourgoin, I'm wondering if you've checked your email or your spam folder for your confirmation email? You won't be in moderation once you respond to it and become fully registered
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

AH! I have not!

You think it would be gone by now? Its been over a month since I signed up!

I will check it now!

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

It seems like a very tight install to me, without the noodle pyramid. How old is the child who will be using it (wondering if it will be too upright without the noodles)?
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Senior Community Member Mom2One+One's Avatar

Someone here gave me a WONDERFUL tip about installing the Scenera. I will try my best to describe it. When using the LATCH, tighten the strap as much as you can, then pull the cover off of the side of the car seat that the loose end of the LATCH belt is on. Pull that loose end (the end you pull when you are tightening it) back through the belt path and PULLLLLL. It makes the angle at which you are pulling better and I can usually get a little more slack out of it that way.

HTH!

And if someone can explain that better than I did, PLEASE feel free!!

Melissa
    Mama to:
    DS - 01/08/06 and DD - 10/14/14

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2One View Post
    When using the LATCH, tighten the strap as much as you can, then pull the cover off of the side of the car seat that the loose end of the LATCH belt is on. Pull that loose end (the end you pull when you are tightening it) back through the belt path and PULLLLLL.
    Right, I pretty much always yank the LATCH strap (or lap-only belt) through the belt path: I pull from the opposite side of the seat that I want tightened ... rather than pulling straight out or up. Pretty much always works for me.

Also, it might sound silly, but make sure you're not puting your weight onto the LATCH strap while trying to tighten (you'd be fighting against your self). Lots of people do this without realizing, which is why I like to lift up the cover to see everything I'm working with.
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Videos illustrating your question! I love it!

Both of your videos appear to show acceptable installs. You ONLY check for movement at the belt path. When you've got your hand at the belt path in the videos, the movement is quite minimal. The top of the shell is going to have a lot of movement - all RF carseats will, unless they allow RF tethering. Remember, they've been crash-tested like this!

Another thing I noticed - when you check for movement at the belt path, you want a simple Push-Pull (or Pull-Push) motion. First check for side-to-side movement, then try pulling it away from the vehicle seat (again, still just one hand at the belt path.)

In a crash, the forces are not going to jerk the carseat back and forth repeatedly - in most cases, it's only going to be a single impact, so the fact that you can jerk on it several times and make it loosen doesn't mean it wasn't an acceptable install in the first place. Jiggling, lifting, and slamming the carseat repeatedly will you give you a false anxiety.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!