How close to the weight limit do you let your kids get?

cmm7

Z is 38.5 lbs now. Am I crazy for wanting to switch her out of the CarGo? How close to the limits does your child get before you switch them?

ADS
My first son I switched him out of his seat at exactly 38 pounds, but only because he outgrew it Height wise first.

My youngest is going to outgrow his carseats height wise before weight too.

For rearfacing I am going to let him get to 32 pounds..and he has to stay 32 pounds steady...my limit is 33 pounds.

Stretchy Glue

Honestly, I've never had that problem, dd has never come close to the weight of her seats. I would switch with about 1 pound left because there are so many factors that could make that 1 pound important. Maybe the scale is off a bit, or heavy shoes, or a big meal, etc. I'm really concerned about going over the weight so I'd be watching it pretty close.
Do I think you're crazy? Not at all. What is she moving into?

Last edited:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I know AJ was pushing 20# when I switched him out of his infant seat (he had just gotten too tall too, I was wanting to get through the holidays w/ that seat). He was 32# and I still had him rfing and then he was 34# one day so I switched him, but I know the seat won't really fail rfing at a # over. We've never gotten close to a ffing limit w/ any of the kids. AJ outgrew his 40# seats ffing at about 35# and he's about to outgrow our Nania and he's only 45# (it goes to 50#). I would be fine switching at 38# definitely, especially if I had another seat or could afford a new one then.

pastrygirl

We haven't had to switch anything yet, but I imagine I'll probably FF when Toby hits 32 pounds. I don't think I'm comfortable waiting until the very last pound.

What are you going to switch to? Have you seen the awesome selection now at the Target by the mall?? It's like I was in a totally different store! Though if you want an older EFTA, they had that for $99, I think.

cmm7

Ok, I am glad I'm not being paranoid wanting to switch her now. She will be in the MA and I will just hope that I don't come across another situation where I need to have both her and the 18 month old I watch. If I do, hopefully her Airway will fit where the CarGo goes. The 18 mo old is actually 32 pounds (and now 20 months) so I guess he only has a pound as well. For some reason I feel more comfortable slightly going over this limit than FF.

Cristina, no, I haven't been to Target since they redid it. Last I knew they had ComfortSports, OHS seats, and 3-point infant seats. I will have to make a trip there to check it out. I'm off to school in August anyways, so I won't be having them much longer but thanks for the tip I might be recommending them to someone!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If it's top tethered and the shoulders are not above the top slots, I would definitely push it closer to 40....what's the other option? A booster? Then harnessing is safer even if she creeps a couple ounces or a pound above the weight limit (same seat in canada with top tether is useable with harness to 48 pounds, it's definitely a sturdy seat). If the next seat up is a HWH, then yeah, sure, move to that before 40. But if a booster is next, then put off the switch to the bitter end.

(rearfacing seats are tested with a 34 pound dummy, it's also safe to go to a full 33 pounds, particularly for a younger kid who would otherwise have to go FF).

:)

tiggercat

I'll push a RF limit further than a FF one. If a RF seat fails, it will likely overrotate, and if it's installed upright in the first place the chances of injury probably aren't huge. For a FF seat, failure might mean the harness not restraining the child, which is a much bigger deal to me.

Since you're moving to a HWH seat, I'd probably move her now. If you were moving to a booster, I'd wait until she hit 39lbs.

I've never had a kid hit the weight limit before outgrowing by height. Greg did ride in his Evenflo Express (Canada 47lb limit) to 45/6lbs or so, when he outgrew it by height.

pastrygirl

Cristina, no, I haven't been to Target since they redid it. Last I knew they had ComfortSports, OHS seats, and 3-point infant seats. I will have to make a trip there to check it out. I'm off to school in August anyways, so I won't be having them much longer but thanks for the tip I might be recommending them to someone!
They still don't have good infant seats :thumbsdown: but I don't think I saw an OHS there. They had the MAs (of course), EFTA, True Fit, Nautilus(!), and some boosters that I think I've seen recommended here.

cmm7

Ooh, I forgot about it being to 48 pounds in Canada. I would never use it that long, but I guess if I have to have all three of them in the car I could have her in it and not be a nervous wreck.

You know, I think Z is going to be the first kid I have met outgrowing a seat by weight first. In no way is she overweight, but she still has a good 3" of torso height in the CarGo. She JUST passed the second to top slots.

I still haven't played with a Nautilus. I need to take a trip to BRU for that since they are more car seat playing friendly. Hmm... I am picking Z and S up from camp this week and Z and I will have about an hour before getting S from her camp. Maybe I can convince her to model for me!

Thanks everyone!

christineka

I didn't know about hwh seats for the first three, so I let them go until the doctor's scale said 40 pounds. So far it has said 40.5 all three surprise times. Then they had their cargo converted to a bpb. Now that I have a hwh seat I will let dd get to 38 or so. Or maybe it will be ds first at the rate those two are growing... Ds will be in the radian when he reaches 29 pounds if he is still short enough to rear-face. (Dd is in the scenera, but ds has an old titan.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC