How to remove fire-retardant chemical from covers?

destinmamma

Does anyone know? I prefer my childrens skin NOT come into contact with these chemicals. I contacted Britax today and they confirmed that the covers are treated with chemical fire retardants. Does anyone know what I can wash it with to remove?

ADS

my2kidsSafe

i agree that they are needed. If you are really concerned i recommend putting them in pants and a top just for the ride if you have to.

ETA : i understand your concern but think of the chemicals and meds that are going to be put on their skin in the event of an accident and fire in the car.

rosey2007

I do not think you can get rid of the chemicals, but there are covers out there that are made without chemicals.

lovinwaves

I do not think you can get rid of the chemicals, but there are covers out there that are made without chemicals.

Fix one problem, only to create a new one unfortunately.

I would rather have the chemicals that are used to save my child's life on the seat, than to have an aftermarket carseat cover with no life saving chemicals.

It's a messed up world, huh? :p

scatterbunny

ITA with lovinwaves. I am someone who is very concerned about chemical exposure, we buy organics whenever possible, clean with natural, homemade products, but I definitely understand the need for flame retardant carseat covers. I would probably let a brand-new seat air out for a few days before putting my child in it, though.

libranbutterfly

I agree. I don't like chemicals, and never buy PJ's with flame retardants, avoid all chemicals when possible, but, they are very benificial in a wreck. Same thing with plastic. I avoid plastic toys, and dishes, but I don't think twice about using a plastic carseat. I agree with scatterbunny to let a new seat air out for a couple of days, but thats it.

mimieliza

Those same chemicals are in your car upholstery, so removing them from the seat won't make much of a difference in exposure.

And after seeing how the Britax seat covers stood up in a vehicle fire, there is no way I would want flammable covers on my child's carseat.

perltea

Elitecarseats (and other places) sell a sheepskin carseat cover, but it costs almost the same as a new Britax! (Aftermarket carseat covers are generally frowned upon here, but this one is made for specific models so maybe that's better?)

I'm not sure how effective flame retardants are on a child's carseat? I thought they were designed for small accidents like those caused by cigarettes. In a major fire, smoke inhalation would be a bigger concern I think.

scatterbunny

Previous poster, did you look at the link cryswilkins posted just before your post? That fire was a whole lot more than a small accident caused by something like a cigarette; that was a major fire. Having flame retardant covers could be the difference between getting your child out of their seat with minor burns, or major burns (or death).

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Think of it this way...

Your car is on fire. Do you want 10 seconds to get yourself out and get to your child and get him out of his carseat, or do you want 30 seconds before the entire cover ignites around your child? (I have no idea how accurate that timing is; it's just an example.)

It's a matter of minimizing risks - yes, chemicals have risks, but they also have benefits. Does the benefit of exposure to chemicals outweigh the risk?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Does the benefit of exposure to chemicals outweigh the risk?

Precisely.... The very REAL benefits of the chemicals in this particular instance far outweigh any *potential* risk. Unless perhaps your child has an extremely rare + severe diagnosed allergy? :eek: The furniture, carpeting, etc. in your home have a higher level of the same or very similar chemicals. At least the carseat is a life saving device. :twocents:

Simply leaving the cover out in dry fresh air for a few days will reduce the smell, etc.

P.S. just for referrence, I thought it might be helpful to note that we only buy locally grown organic foods, vinegar & baking soda for household cleaning, :blah blah blah: which is to say that I take chemicals quite seriously & reduce our risk whenever/where ever I can (except when the chemicals are what would save my child's life)

Last edited:

Melizerd

I also avoid chemicals at all costs. My DH has Multiple Sclerosis and ingesting and coming into contact with chemicals does a number on him.

I still use my approved carseat cover. I would was the cover and then air it out before using it.

After seeing how bad the fire could be before doing damage really cemented in the feeling that it's worth the "risk" in this case.

Evolily

If the car seat allows, I would wash the cover a couple times before use. Fire retardants are important on things like car seats IMHO, so I wouldn't try to strip them from the seat but I would wash them to try to remove any excess residue (I do the same thing with clothing, toys, etc- I always try to wash things before using them)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC