How does the Monterey backless compare to the Cleck Olli?

Ahzryn

Just idle curiosity really, but since both are latchable backless boosters, I wondered how they compared. I know several people have raved about the Olli.

Also, what's the latest feeling on the Monterey? Worth it? Still having issues with the width not staying set? Other issues?

ADS

Stretchy Glue

Some people are getting different measurements, but I love my Monterey. I've never tried it backless yet, but I know the Olli has a rigid LATCH, and the Monterey is flexible. That might be something to consider if you're only after the backless mode.

My Monterey has had no problems with the width not staying adjusted.

ginny4

we LOVE the monterey. i got to try out the backless & latched in & i liked it. sure it wasn't a snug latch fit but that's OK it doesn't have to be. DS liked it ALOT. he foudn it comfy. would i buy it for the sole purpose of a backless NO. & i wouldn't spend th emoney on the ollie either. overpriced IMO.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I only played with the Clek at Lifesavers '07 but now that we have the Monterey (& love it) I do think the Olli might be easier (such as for grandparents) to undo the LATCH because it has the rigid design, right?

scatterbunny

As someone who, before using the Olli, never could understand paying $89 for a backless booster, I get why some folks feel it is overpriced. But, once you use it, you'll understand. :p It's the highest quality booster I've ever used, next to a Recaro Start. I have incredibly high hopes for the Oobr highback.

I just had to interject that. :) I have no experience using the Monterey, highback or backless. I know the seat depth of the Monterey measures slightly more than the Olli, but the Olli's seat design (very angled, like a vehicle seat, higher at the knee area, lower at the back) makes it very comfortable and supportive, even for longer-legged kids. My dd uses deeper boosters than the Olli, but she prefers the Olli over them all. I, of course, prefer a highback for more protection, but I wouldn't buy a highback just to use it backless.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't buy a highback just to use it backless.
Ditto ;) The only reason I see myself using the Monterey backless is when more broad shouldered people might have to squeeze in next to my DD (sitting center) . . . or for travel -- I'd pack the highback & carry the seat/base for taxi ride :twocents:

It was difficult for me to decide on the Monterey over the Clek, but the technician discount swayed me & I'm glad now that we have the Monterey because neither of my mother's new cars have rear side curtain airbags. Although, I'm sure someday we'll have an Olli or something like it, perhaps when I have my own vehicle again & we have to deal with school drop off lines.

Ahzryn

Ditto ;) The only reason I see myself using the Monterey backless is when more broad shouldered people might have to squeeze in next to my DD (sitting center) . . . or for travel -- I'd pack the highback & carry the seat/base for taxi ride :twocents:

It was difficult for me to decide on the Monterey over the Clek, but the technician discount swayed me & I'm glad now that we have the Monterey because neither of my mother's new cars have rear side curtain airbags. Although, I'm sure someday we'll have an Olli or something like it, perhaps when I have my own vehicle again & we have to deal with school drop off lines.

Right, that's exactly where I was coming from. I would use it with the back, but for travel, carpool, etc...

We only have LATCH in the Odyssey, which as a 2004 doesn't have side curtain airbags, so while I love the Olli, I wouldn't use it as an everyday seat in there. At least, not until they are MUCH older, but even then it's doubtful. Now, if the Olli had a back.....

dhardawa

Emily is in an Olli and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. So does she. She says it is very comfortable, it is high quality, a breeze to install, and the belts fit her better in that seat than any booster she has ever been in.

Ahzryn

Since I don't really need any new seats, sure :) Like I said, it was mostly an idle curiosity question.

Kat_Momof3

I have no olli to compare it to, but here's my thoughts.

the olli is easier, most likely, to install/uninstall if you're going to be moving it a lot, because of the rigid latch.

The Monterey is much deeper, but the olli is known to be comfy, despite not being very deep. Still, for my kids who do care about depth, they love how deep the Monterey is.

I don't know which is wider, but the design of the armrests would make the olli easier to buckle (the armrest design took a little getting used to for tightening the seatbelt for Jeffrey), but both seats are nice and wide.

And, though they only matter to the kids, the Monterey has 2 cupholders (really great ones), but the Olli doesn't.

Really, I think a lot depends on what you need as a booster.

I was between the Olli and the Monterey and how I decided was to let Jeffrey choose. The reason? He could fit in the Monterey as a highback, but, at the size of outgrowing most highbacks, and being a good booster rider, I was comfortable with him choosing whether or not he would stay in a backless or go back to being in a highback.

HE chose the Monterey... he said he preferred the color, but that the big reason was he wanted the side supports (once he was assured they would widen to accomodate his growing bod) to hug him and the headrest and wings (he called them pillows) for sleeping comfortably.

If a child was too tall for the Monterey with a back, I doubt they would need a backless... even my 8yr old giant who is over 4'9 and fits the seatbelts well and passes the 5-step test AND has feet on the floor flat had 1" to go in the Monterey before his shoulder would be at the place where, when I put the headrest that way on his brother, the belt twisted.

Not all cars can work with highbacks, or have the room for a highback, so that's why I'm glad i can convert.

but if getting either one for just a backless, I'd probably not spend the extra money on the Monterey just because in the end, the two seem equal.

Hopefully, we'll see them soon selling just the bottom part of the Monterey for kids who need them, and they will be a cheaper alternative to the Olli, but who knows.

sarsah

My DS#1 is just now too tall for the Monterey (DS#2's primary seat) with a back (I have one from the first batch that may be shorter than the ones they are shipping now -- the debate continues <lol>), but does NOT meet the 5-step test in the 2nd row captains chairs of my Honda Odyssey. He does meet the 5-step in my DH's Acura TL, however and maybe in the 3rd row of the Odyssey, but I haven't tried there yet.

I am trying to decide between getting another Monterey and hoping it is taller than the first one (if it isn't, I'll use it backless) or just saving some money and getting a Clek Olli. I had hoped that SK would come out with a backless version of the Monterey, but now I'm leaning towards the Clek because it is $60 cheaper than the Monterey for what I need it to do.

Sarah.........

If a child was too tall for the Monterey with a back, I doubt they would need a backless... even my 8yr old giant who is over 4'9 and fits the seatbelts well and passes the 5-step test AND has feet on the floor flat had 1" to go in the Monterey before his shoulder would be at the place where, when I put the headrest that way on his brother, the belt twisted.

Last edited:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
We LOVE the Monterey.

Dd has a LOT of grow room in it and years of comfortable legs. I'm sure she would be fine in the Olli now, but what about 2-3 years from now? Not sure about that.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We LOVE the Monterey.

Dd has a LOT of grow room in it and years of comfortable legs. I'm sure she would be fine in the Olli now, but what about 2-3 years from now? Not sure about that.

My kids are 53 and 58 inches tall and LOVE the Olli, definitely very comfortable for them, and easy to buckle, and the armrests are sturdy and comfy. No matter what booster they are in, they need a footstool for support... there just comes a point where long legs are heavy and uncomfortable to dangle from ANY booster, so we just have a couple little plastic footstools :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC