Mini Cooper Mom

Z

Z-mom

Hi--I'm new to the forum, and am a first-time mom. My son is about to turn 9-months, and has pretty much outgrown his Snugride by height. He's not tall or big--just average. I drive a Mini Cooper, and am looking for suggestions for a good convertible. My husband has a Wizard installed in his Matrix--our primary car for chauffering our boy--which is great, but it's too big for the Mini. I tried a Combi Avatar, and that was also too big. We went to Babies R Us, and I couldn't get a good fit on the Graco ComfortSport. I also tried the TriumphV, which fit ok, but from what I've read in previous threads, I think he might outgrow it sooner rather than later. I'm thinking a Radian might be a good option, but I'm also intrigued by the new FP Safe Voyage. Anyone else driving a Mini or other small compact car that have a good suggestion?

ADS

scatterbunny

The Radian isn't probably a good choice because it has a recline foot that MUST be used for rear-facing installations, so it pretty much limits you to the 45 degree angle. It's a really tall seat, the top slots are a tad taller than the Wizard's top slots, so I don't think it would work in your car.

The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe that harnesses to 55 pounds is based on the Britax Marathon, just like the Wizard, with the same height top slots, so again, not any shorter than the Wizard that you already own.

One thing that might help though, is that when a baby is as old as your son, the carseat does not need to be reclined a full 45 degrees. You can have it installed as upright as is comfortable for your baby. :) Another plus about the Britax convertibles is that they are allowed to be braced against the front vehicle seat(s), and they have rear-facing top tethers.

So, you can install the seat as upright as you want, basically not even paying attention to the recline angle, tether it, crank down the tether until you have the desired level of recline, and then push the front seats back until they are pressing against the top of the carseat shell.

I encourage you to play around with your Wizard in you car to see if it's do-able with the tips I gave you. If not, try a Cosco Scenera, again, not reclined a full 45 degrees. We'd recommend the $40 Scenera over the ComfortSport or Triumph any day for its 35 pound rear-facing weight limit and taller seat shell to help accommodate extended rear-facing, and definitely longer forward-facing than the ComfortSport. The value for the longevity of use and ease of use is awesome.

Z

Z-mom

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. The Wizard does fit, even with the recline. Since I don't have the center position option, we're keeping the Wizard in my Mini for the side-impact precaution. We ended up buying a Scenera, too, which will be in the Matrix, which has the center position. It's also a good seat to have when we fly to visit the great-grandparents and other family in LA.

scatterbunny

Yay! I'm glad the Wizard worked out so well in your car! :D Can I use it as an example now? ;) I'm always telling parents that the "big" Britax convertibles really can fit in tiny cars like Chevy Cavalier 2-doors, and now I can add the Mini Cooper to the list.

Longhorn Lady

Yay, so glad it worked for you. I think its funny because its easy to assume that infant seats are little, since they hold the teeniest of babies, whereas we think of convertibles as so much bigger because they are used for toddlers and preschoolers :)

But really they are so similar in size, even though its hard to imagine. I'm so glad it worked for you!

scatterbunny

skaterbabscpst said:
Hey, I managed to get a decent install with a Husky in a Chevy Cobalt! LOL

Yeah, but I owned a Husky, and I know it can fit in a surprising array of small vehicles. It only looks hard to install, IME.

It's the whole 'RF seat/small car/front seats smashed to the dash' thing that's hard for people to wrap their brain around. No one believes me when I tell them that if they fit the infant seat, most likely they can fit a RF convertible.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Z-mom said:
Thanks for the advice. The Wizard does fit, even with the recline. Since I don't have the center position option, we're keeping the Wizard in my Mini for the side-impact precaution. We ended up buying a Scenera, too, which will be in the Matrix, which has the center position. It's also a good seat to have when we fly to visit the great-grandparents and other family in LA.
That's great! Very happy for you....
So cool -- adding it to my list, too :D

Z

Z-mom

Wizard Addendum

The caveat with the Wizard in the MINI is that my blind spot on the passenger side has increased significantly, so I'm relying heavily on my side- and rear-view mirrors. By the way, the Scenera did not get a great fit in the Matrix's center seat, and since it doesn't have great side-impact protection, we broke down (well, broke into the piggy bank) and decided to get a Radian, too. My husband went to the store and tested it out both RF and FF and really liked it. And, we'll be able to save a little bit with some coupon discounts. :) We'll probably give the Scenera to the grandparents. We could also use it for the annual flight to the west coast to visit family. For $40, it's a nice spare if we need it.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

skaterbabs

I kwym about blind spots, my boys are in boosters and the headrests really restrict the view. But that's why we have mirrors. ;)

skipspin

You can add the wrangler too. For a newborn it may be tight for the front passenger because of the recline, but it fits much better than an infant seat.

446923b1.jpg

Joy, mommy and cps tech

scatterbunny

Now, that is cool! :) (MA in the Wrangler)

And I also KWYM about blind spots--when I have Hayley and her friend in the third row in their boosters, I can't see out the back window at all.

U

Unregistered

Search for Mini Cooper safety

I am looking for forward facing child car seat safety guidelines. Specifically, what are the recommended space measurements in the backseat for inserting a car seat (the distance from the back of the rear seat to the back of the front seat.) I really need to know this information to help convince my husband that the Mini Cooper is not the best car for transporting a toddler in a car seat.

Z-mom said:
Hi--I'm new to the forum, and am a first-time mom. My son is about to turn 9-months, and has pretty much outgrown his Snugride by height. He's not tall or big--just average. I drive a Mini Cooper, and am looking for suggestions for a good convertible. My husband has a Wizard installed in his Matrix--our primary car for chauffering our boy--which is great, but it's too big for the Mini. I tried a Combi Avatar, and that was also too big. We went to Babies R Us, and I couldn't get a good fit on the Graco ComfortSport. I also tried the TriumphV, which fit ok, but from what I've read in previous threads, I think he might outgrow it sooner rather than later. I'm thinking a Radian might be a good option, but I'm also intrigued by the new FP Safe Voyage. Anyone else driving a Mini or other small compact car that have a good suggestion?

skaterbabs

There aren't any guidelines like you're asking for, I'm not sure exactly what your concern would be. I personally would have no problem installing and using a carseat in a Mini.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
scatterbunny said:
Yeah, but I owned a Husky, and I know it can fit in a surprising array of small vehicles. It only looks hard to install, IME.

It's the whole 'RF seat/small car/front seats smashed to the dash' thing that's hard for people to wrap their brain around. No one believes me when I tell them that if they fit the infant seat, most likely they can fit a RF convertible.

hehe I have a couple too. :)

Piper RFing in a Britax Advantage in a rented Mercedes A class (British car):
11080303.jpg

Piper RFing in a Porsche 911 in an Advantage. Her Wizards fit too, but ONLY RFing, I couldn't get a FF install because the seats were so bucketed. But in this case the passenger seat WAS in the dash. Luckily I'm only 5'2", so it worked as a family car for us when we wanted it to.
12150308.jpg

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC