booster seat crash testing?

Jan06twinmom

I'm on another board with parents who all have 3 1/2 year olds. Some of the parents have moved their children to booster seats - and I know one child only weighs 32lbs. :eek: (Yes, it makes me think of Belle's story.)

Several of us are explaining why children should be in a 5pt harness until they are at least 4 years old and 40lbs - and hopefully 5 or 6 years old. We have provided information from the Kyle David Miller foundation and some other resources that I've learned about from reading on this board.

However, one of the moms asked a great question that I don't know the answer to... So how can the manufacturers say that a seat is safe for 3 years or 30 lbs if it is not?? Don't they do crash reports to test them??

Does anyone know the answer to this question? Why are manufacturers even allow to put 3 years old and 30lbs on the labels?

I was thinking if the US government just made the law that booster seats sold in the US had to have at least a "4 years old and 40lb" minimum on the seat itself, it would prevent so many parents from deciding that it's okay to put their tiny 3 year olds or large 2 year olds in a booster seat.

Melanie

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
They test on dummies that stay in position, not wiggly animated dummies that reach down to pick up a toy, or put the belt behind them, or otherwise compromise the safety of the seat.

Jan06twinmom

That was part of what I was thinking. Do they do tests with 30lb dummies or is it a 34lb dummy? I thought I saw something about the test dummies being 34lbs and not 33lbs.

What about the concern with submarining? Is that only a concern for children who are in a seatbelt? Or is that a concern with smaller/younger children in a high back or no back booster?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yes submarining is a concern for all kids in seatbelts, with or without boosters.

I will respond more thoroughly in a minute, but right now I have a very whiny toddler on my lap.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The 30 pounds at least are for kids like Piper who don't weigh 40 pounds yet, even at 6 years old. So she needs a booster rated from 30 pounds for when she uses one.

Wendy

Jan06twinmom

Are there any crash test videos that show the difference between a 5pt harness and a booster seat? I thought I saw one before that showed both side by side, but the one I was finding on youtube last night was showing the booster seat more than the 5pt harness.

How about a video that shows the difference between a small child and a larger child in a booster in a crash?

I was wondering if the 3 age limit was added because there are 3 year olds who outgrow the 40lb 5pt harness seats before their 4th birthday? With so many more options to harness beyond 40lbs, it makes it easier for parents to harness longer - and it might make the 3 year old booster age minimum unnecessary. But this is a recent change in what is available in the US.

I know when we were looking at convertibles less than 3 years ago, the Britax seats were the only ones that harnessed beyond 40lbs and I didn't know about extended harnessing. We bought the old Evenflo Triumph carseat which only go to 40lbs. My DS pretty much outgrew that seat around his 3rd birthday - but we had already purchased Radians and Britax seats.

Jan06twinmom

I couldn't get Wendy's link to work either. The other link is the one I was finding on youtube, but I was disappointed in it because I'd like to be able to see more of the movement in the 5pt harness.

brooklynsmommy

It's actually not the exact same video. The one that Wendy linked to is a Recaro Start. The other more widely seen one is some other turbo booster (but flatter) looking one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC