Bought a Used Seat

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Our school Relay for Life team is having a yard sale on saturday and the donations started coming in today. So I go look around on the stage and find a combo seat! first thought---no history MUST BUY to prevent someone else from buying!

So I check it out--Evenflo Express DOM-5-23-2003. Imprinted on the seat in a hard to spot place---do not use after Dec 2008.

Cover's faded, dirty and coming off in spots. Harness in tact, but twisty. No instructions other than the stickers, no LATCH strap, but does have the tether. No locking clip.
No signs of stress ANYWHERE on the seat.

As I'm hauling it back to my room I'm getting all kinds of looks---and I'm not going to ask statements!

Ok now I've saved the world from this seat---all for $4---what do I do with it.

A--destroy
B--play with it---practice installing, but NEVER use
C--Other--you tell me

Susan

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
A or B or donate to local CPS fitting station/safe kids/instructor for training. Some areas even have events where they destroy used and unsafe seats for a bounty. Maybe you could get whatever giveaway they hand out from their sponsor in return;-)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Well--DH came home and we destroyed it.

I was able to bust unreinforced areas with a hammer. DH turned the seat over and stood on the area that is reinforced and the seat didn't even bend...and he's around 300#. We cut the straps and wrote unsafe in a couple places before putting in the dumpster.

We're moving in about 2 weeks...so things are a bit crazy around here.

If any more seats show up at the yard sale---I'll be taking care of them:)

Susan

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I have a at least a dozen seats in my MIL's attic that i'm 'experimenting' with. It started as a project for one of my engineering classes involving a few old discoveries we had. I'm no longer an engineering major (after completing more than half my degree) but the project grew and as i confiscated seats from local yard sales and consignment shops. I generally buy seats at yard sales, i just dont trust ppl not to put it back for sale as soon as i'm gone. After i finish up my experimenting we're going to use a machine as my dad's work to smash them then melt them down. :) (my dad works at a company that makes molds for plastics. They run tests and then break the products to prevent them getting into the wrong hands.) I'm going to videos tape it. I'm sure there will be several ppl on here cheering as the AO and triumph both melt away. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC