Vent She Did What?!?!?!

scoutingbear

Yesterday, I had one of my 4 y/o friend's mother's pick him up from preschool and bring him to me at work. I was swamped and had 2 students shadowing me for the day and really couldn't get away to pick him up for his therapy. Anyway, when I called her to confirm, I verified that I would leave his carseat and verified that she had LATCH since his Radian is soooo much easier to install that way (and I didn't have time to grab a GN out of DH's car that morning). She said yes, and that she was comfortable installing the seat.

They get to my work and I ask if everything went okay with picking him up and installing his seat. Yes, she said. "I clipped the top part of the seat in, but couldn't get the bottom to connect. So, I just put the seatbelt across like I do with XXX." :eek: I verified later with my 4 y/o who told me that the seatbelt was not on the car seat like in Daddy's car (no LATCH there, so they are belt installed), and it wasn't clipped like Mommy's car (LATCH), it was like in Grandpa's car (where he has a turbo booster as an emergency seat)!!! :eek: Needless to say, he will NOT be riding home with that family again and I WILL be driving on all school field trips. You don't install the seat like that...espeically when transporting a 'car seat nerd's' child.

ADS

sunnymw

OMG!!! That sounds insane! I mean, 22lbs worth of seat in a front-impact crash, with it being used "like a booster"?!?!?! WTH?! :eek: :eek:

seamonkeys

OMG!!! :eek: I would have been hollering at her!! If she wants to be careless with her own child, fine, but NOT somebody else's kid! I'm guessing she could have called you!?!?!? OMG, I just can't believe it!

NicoleP

I think this is just lack of education on the other mother's part. I don't know that you can be totally upset with her. I can totally understand being fearful and upset about the situation. It was and is a scary one. This mom probably just didnt know or understand the importance of carseat safety like you (and I) do. I know when my older kids (now 13 and 11) we younger and I was younger I didnt know a heck of alot about carseats, the impact of not buckling correctly and so forth...I needed to be taught and even coming to this site I have learned so much more.

Maybe talk to this mom and let her know you were scared and upset and would like to speak with her about proper safety techniques for carseats.

Good luck! I am glad your child is safe!!!!!:love:

Kat_Momof3

yeah, I can understand how she thought she had latch because she had tethers.

I would show her how to install the seat personally, in case you ever need to have her do pickup again, or plan to only send a booster for those times.

loufrando

It is situations exactly like this (for me it's with my parents mostly) that convinced me to buy a Parkway for use in other people's cars when I'm not there.

My dad had my niece's MA just sitting on the bench of his truck not even buckled in and rode around like that for 3 days. When my SIL got home from vacation and discovered it she almost died! That is why I always either install the seat myself or send the booster. At least I know with the Parkway, it is pretty much idiot proof. Not even any armrests to route under or anything.

I feel your pain though. That would terrify me! I agree about showing the mother personally how you expect it to be installed and used. Or just always driving yourself like you said, is the other option.

I'm sure she really just didn't know. My mom didn't know that seatbelts locked until I showed her how to pull it out till it clicks and make sure the cs is within an inch. She didn't know it had to be that tight or how to get it that tight. She had just been buckling the seatbelt and going! When you know better you do better (hopefully ;))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC