Bed rest Sucks.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I got attacked by a herd of bees while taking some photos of a flowering tree in my mom's backyard and am officially on bed rest for a minimum of the next two weeks.

I decided i had to have photos of her tree covered in pink flowers so i grabbed my epipen and camera and decided i'd get a few shots. I got about 15 before it happened. I got a bee stuck in my hair which stung me in the head, i stepped backwards in alarm and fell in some sort of animal's hole and tripped. As i fell i must have grabbed at the nearest tree branch, which made the bees very angry. They stung me at least 20 times. My dogs saved my life. My mom didnt know i was down there (i was supposed to be changing my seats arund for photos) but heard the dogs fighting. She came out to find my puppy (around 18 month olds, some sort of Shepard crossed with a chow) was biting on my wrist pulling me and the older dog (8 years old, chow rotti cross) was fighting him away from me. She called 911 and ran down to me. At that point i was out, i was already in full shock. The ambulance took me to the ER where they gave me meds for the shock and checked the babies. I spent Sunday in the hospital being checked every few hours and got out today around noon.

The twins are ok. Their heart beats are lower than they should be but they seem to be ok. Thankfully they dont seem to have suffered for lack of oxygen but they wont know for sure until after they are born. There is a possibility that i could now go into labor due to the stress on my body but i havent shown any signs of labor.

We're hoping that after 2 weeks i'll be back on my feet (literally). My family is great and has worked out a schedule so there is always someone here to help me when DF isnt. The foster care people are going to allow us to keep Ryan as long as we have someone helping me. (which was one of my top 5 worries) I'm so swollen i look like i weigh 200 pounds and i'm covered in large ***** wounds where the bees stung me and b/c i'm allergic to latex i have a rash where the doctors or nurses have touched me. I'm on limited meds b/c of the babies so i'm just supposed to lay here and whine. (or maybe i'm not supposed to whine? Either way i'm whining.)

ADS

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
Bed rest does suck, I was on it for 15 wks. Hopefully you don't go into labor, are you 20wks yet? If not then they don't consider it PTL its consider a MC. My PTL started at 18 wks, they did nothing about it until 20wks.

This is the second time you have either taken pictures or were going to take pictures and something horrible has happend to prevent you. Weird.

Rachel

ccjones

I'm glad to hear that everything seems to be OK for now. I can understand your bedrest plight, as I had to spend 4 MONTHS on bedrest in the HOSPITAL!! LOL I have an incompetent cervix, and even though I got a cerclage (cervix stitched shut) at 13 weeks, my cervix started to funnel (started to open at the top, but stayed shut at the bottom from the stitches, thus making a funnel-shape) and I started to have contractions at 18 weeks, so my OB put me in hospital and told me I wasn't going home until the baby was born. I had to lay in trendellenburg position the whole time, which is when your bed in reclined so that your feet are above your head. This was to keep the weight of the baby off my cervix, but boy, trying to eat like that SUCKED! I had horrible heartburn all the time. So, I lived on indomethacin (a drug used to stop contractions by relaxing the uterus) for the first 8 weeks until it made my amniotic fluid drop, then I moved to a terbutaline pump for the occasional bout of contractions that would flare up. All, the while, I was getting weekly shots of progesterone in my buttcheeks, with the hope that the progesterone would help to stave off contractions. I held out until 34w 4d, and when I started having contractions, my OB said it was time. There was a neonatologist present in the delivery room, but I was very lucky because my 4lb, 6oz DS was healthy, able to breathe without any trouble, and knew how to breastfeed. I had prepared myself that he would be going to the NICU after he was born, so I was pleasantly surprised when he was able to go directly to the nursery.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
actually i did get pictures, but the camera broke so i cant upload them (or at least no one i've asked to do it knows how.) Someone wanted shots of the MA's in my little car. I'm hoping my fiance can figure it out or goes and gets me a new camera :) We have 3 others but this one takes a different card.

How did you survive this for 15 weeks? I'm dying after 24 hours. did you have other kids when you were on bedrest? I feel terrible b/c i cant get up and play, i've let them watch tv all morning (my SMIL is here and she's big on using tv to pacify them :( ) but there's nothing else i can do. DF is getting my bed from my parents house to put in the living room for the time being so i can be with the kids in the play area and stil be comfortable. Its lower than his so its also safer for me to get in and out of when i do get to get up (once every 2 hours).

I'm at least 22 weeks pregnant, thankfully i still havent show any signs of labor that i've noticed (and i've been watching for them) so so far we're good. The ER doc gave me a minimum of 2 weeks, i'm hoping my OBGYN doesnt want to go longer. I really do dislike him, he's on vacation all week and left my care up to some guy i've never met without even mentioning it to me!

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
I had to put my 25 month old in daycare full time. I also had to wean her since she was still nursing. It was horrible, I am very anti daycare. LOL We had to get a loan to help pay for it, her daycare was $600 a month plus all the take out since DH worked full time. I also spent two weeks in the hospital on mag, and anther time at about 24 weeks, for three days. For the time I was in for two weeks, it was a 45 minute drive for DH. So he would drop dd of at daycare in the morning, go to work, drive back to dc (two blocks from home) then drive to the hospital to visit me, have dinner with me then take her home. I saw her every single day. My mom came down for a visit to help out for a few days and pickd her up from daycare and brought her to me. (I had her meet DH at his office first so he could install her car seat. LOL) The daycare was actually a good idea, DH would not have been able to take that much time off and I didn't have enough friends here to help out that much. Plus it was nice while Liam was in the NICU. We picked her up from daycare with cookies and Liam the day he came home from the hospital. She never went back. They knew we were not going to give two weeks notice.

Wit Hannah I had it easy, I went into PTL at 27wks and didn't have any other kids. 10 weeks with no kids was easier than 15 with a kid.

Bedrest sucks, my dr told me that next time would be worse. There will not be a next time.

Rachel

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Wow, you bedresters are truly amazing. It was hard enough for me to take care of my older DD while pregnant with my second, and I wasn't even on bedrest. Bedrest was becoming a possibility in the last several weeks as my BP was getting higher, but it didn't come to that and my baby was born healthy about 10 days before her due date. I wasn't sure how I would have managed bedrest with DH's hours. Most of my friends work full-time and any nearby family such as my parents are elderly enough that it wouldn't have been the best situation. Good luck to you both and take it easy.

ccjones

I think I was fortunate because I had no other kids when I got admitted to the hospital (my first, Joshua, was born at 23 weeks due to the incompetent cervix and PTL that the OB (and I) didn't know about until it was too late). Also, I think being stuck in a hospital bed is easier because there is nothing that tempts you to get out of bed. I know I would have been "breaking the rules" if I was on bedrest at home, especially because we have two dogs. I, too, was in a hospital (Johns Hopkins) about 45 min. to an hour from where I live. DH would come to visit twice a week after work, and both days of the weekend. I basically just read books, listened to my ipod, did crossword puzzles, watched TV and DVDs, talked on the phone, and my family and friends would stop by to visit (and bring me real food!!). :)

rachel3612: I wanted to let you know that, at least at Johns Hopkins, they can start treating PTL as early as 14 weeks now. It's no guarantee the baby will make it, but they've had some success with newer drugs. I had to get on mag for my first pregnancy and it sucked, very happy I didn't need it for the 2nd pregnancy. Also, about daycare...where I live and work, daycare for infants and toddlers can run between $350-$400 a WEEK! So, I am very envious that your dc only cost $600 a month!

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
That is great! I couldn't start meds until 20wks. I was on so many, even when I was on mag I was still getting 3 or so shots of Terb a day.

Before I was transferred to the hospital 45 mnutes away I was in one that was aboutr 10 minutes and DH would bring Hannah to see me before daycare and after. The first day I was at the hospital far away, he brought her in the morning because she had been doing it for the 3 days before. I was transffered at 3 am. That was a long long day for him. LOL

We got lucky we live where we do, daycare wasn't too much but since I was a SAHM it was an unexpected expense with no added income. Oh and I did cheat! All the time. Execpt when I was in the hospital though of course, hard to cheat there. It was weird to think I was in a hopsital for almost 2 weeks and never left my room. That was from 32-34wks.

Rachel

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Wow and i thought i was in hell for the few weeks i'll be stuck here. My BIL moved our whole computer desk to my side of the bed while i was still in the hospital. Our library has the complete catalog online so i can reserve books and send my family by to pick them up (but i already have about 10 books out so i'm finishing up with them before sending for more.) I'm really into sudoku puzzles so my MIL went out and got me a few books to do (she got me into them). Ryan is content to sit on DF side of the bed and play with her toys (she's still not crawling but i'm worried she start sponatiosly while shes up here and i cant catch her! We're getting one of those rail things later this week to help protect her.

My fiance's family is truely amazing. They all work full time and his sister has DN who's 14 months old but they have managed to make up a schedule so that i've always got someone. His step mom (alex's mom) wanted to come stay with us but i refused (and so did DF) It would have made things easier in someways but we think it would have just made a stressful situation even more stressful since Alex would have had to go thru the separation thing a second time. She came this morning to help but that will be a rarity if everyone can follow the schedule. We're hoping we wont need to put the girls in daycare full time yet. We've been planning on taking alex for a few hours an working up to a full day since she's never had to deal with large groups of kids and sharing. Our daycare is the most expensive in town (but they are the best) but its a necessary expense so i can finish school.

We're planning on cheating to an extent on Easter, i get of BR the day after Easter so its not too big of a deal. His family does a huge Easter celebration at the orchard that i want to attend (i havent bought Ryan a dress yet. :( I guess i'll pick it out online and someone else will have to go buy it)

ccjones

I like Sudoku puzzles, also, but I didn't discover them until AFTER I got out of the hospital! LOL So, I just did crosswords and word searches. It is funny because I discovered that DH has a secret passion for puzzles. He would help me when I would get stuck. I also forgot to mention that DH let me borrow his laptop for the duration of my hospital stay. The hospital has patient wireless Internet access, which was awesome! I was able to check my email, and eventually, after I made it to 28weeks, I did my registries online at Target and BRU.

I sort of feel like rachel3612 in that I got admitted to the hospital on 3/10/05 and did not get discharged until 7/9/05. I still cannot believe that I spent 4 months of my life not only in one room (at least it was a fairly large suite!), but in the same bed! LOL I was in the antepartum wing, and one day, I was the only patient on the floor, so a few of the nurses wheeled my bed out to the nurses station to hang out! I remember it was the day Tom Cruise was jumping on the sofa on Oprah! HAHA Hard to believe it's been a year already!

Dreaming_of_Speed: That is awesome that your DF's family is helping out so much! My in-laws came to the hospital bearing carryout food twice a week, which was super-nice of them because it was a 45 min. drive for them, as well). I can't blame you for cheating on Easter, assuming you don't have any problems between now and then. Actually, from your sig, I see you are about 27 weeks along, so I was pretty surprised you were not on bedrest already from carry twins.

Colleen

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC