Newbie Looking for Back-Up Seat

Babynurse83

I'm set on getting a Britax Marathon for our primary car (DH's) but having trouble narrowing down a carseat for use in my car. Someone pointed out the Graco Nautilus and I tested it out with my son (11months) at the store and thought it was perfect but now I see that it's only forward facing (or am I wrong?) and I want to ERF.

I know they're all approved but what would be the second best (up to 65lbs) next to the Marathon or Recaro but w/o the price? I didn't like the Evenflo Triumph. The harness knobs were difficult. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Don't get the Nautilus. You are right, he is too young. Have you looked at the Sunshine Kids Radian 65? Or maybe the Safety 1st Uptown, you can get it at Big Lots for $65.

firemomof3

Yes, your correct that the Graco Nautilus is forward facing only & definitly not a good choice for an 11mo. old & good for you for planning on extended rear facing :thumbsup:
If you don't like the Evenflow Triumph Advance (EFTA) then my next recommendation would be the True Fit. Its rf to 35lbs. & ff to 65lbs. with 17" top harness slots. Its a great seat with an amazingly easy no thread harness. Its less expensive then the Britax @ around $180.
Or, you could get the Safety First Avenue which rf 35lbs. & ff 40lbs. but its only $75 so you could save up for something else later :) You can find the avenue on sears website.
Good luck :)

scatterbunny

ITA with previous posters, the Radian and True Fit would be my next choices, behind a Marathon. The True Fit is actually my favorite. :) I also despise the knobs on the EFTA. ;) But I think the True Fit is a really easy to use seat. I haven't had the pleasure of installing it yet, just playing with it in the store (with a 7mo baby), and I fell in love with it.

If you really want to save $$ for now, the Safety 1st Avenue ($75-$80 at Sears) is a wonderful choice. It only harnesses to 40 pounds, but it has really tall top slots for a 40 pound seat, and a 35 pound rear-facing weight limit, and energy-absorbing foam like all the higher-end seats, and decent padding.

Babynurse83

Thanks for the quick responses. Didn't read them yet, just browsed through them. LOL funny, while I was waiting for my post to appear I looked online at Walmart and saw the Compass TrueFit and searched on here for it. I've added it to my list. I need to test it out somewhere in person though.

Babynurse83

Don't get the Nautilus. You are right, he is too young. Have you looked at the Sunshine Kids Radian 65? Or maybe the Safety 1st Uptown, you can get it at Big Lots for $65.
I'll look into those. Thanks.

Yes, your correct that the Graco Nautilus is forward facing only & definitly not a good choice for an 11mo. old & good for you for planning on extended rear facing :thumbsup:
If you don't like the Evenflow Triumph Advance (EFTA) then my next recommendation would be the True Fit. Its rf to 35lbs. & ff to 65lbs. with 17" top harness slots. Its a great seat with an amazingly easy no thread harness. Its less expensive then the Britax @ around $180.
Or, you could get the Safety First Avenue which rf 35lbs. & ff 40lbs. but its only $75 so you could save up for something else later :) You can find the avenue on sears website.
Good luck :)
I've searched and read other posts wondering about the top harness straps. Is 17" normal length or is it longer than other seats would be? Oh and I was scratching my head wondering what EFTA was until now lol.

ITA with previous posters, the Radian and True Fit would be my next choices, behind a Marathon. The True Fit is actually my favorite. :) I also despise the knobs on the EFTA. ;) But I think the True Fit is a really easy to use seat. I haven't had the pleasure of installing it yet, just playing with it in the store (with a 7mo baby), and I fell in love with it.

If you really want to save $$ for now, the Safety 1st Avenue ($75-$80 at Sears) is a wonderful choice. It only harnesses to 40 pounds, but it has really tall top slots for a 40 pound seat, and a 35 pound rear-facing weight limit, and energy-absorbing foam like all the higher-end seats, and decent padding.

The inlaws are getting him a seat for his birthday. We were going to go get the Marathon yesterday but something came up. I have a p/t job now plus DH gave me some spending money and he really needs to move onto another seat. He's a small boy so I'd love something long lasting and not have to buy another one later.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC