remind me of the downsides to the TF?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
So, our target got one, so I was able to see it in person.
me likey. :D
I was wondering what some of the "issues" have been, i.e the "cons" to this seat? just a link to a thread is fine, if you dont want to type it all out, but search isnt getting me what i want.
It did seem heavy, and it is clearly huge......
The harness did seem annoying, but like it was something i could get used to.(the way it tightens 1 way and you have to even it out..)
Install issues? anything?
thanks

ADS

solmama

We love our Truefit! Some don't like the continuous harness. It cannot be tethered rear-facing. Those are the only 2 real downfalls that I can think of.

I like the continuous harness. I just borrow some from the other side to strap my ds in, then even it out when I buckle the chest clip.

It's kind of big...the same width as a Marathon, though. We've only had it in 3 vehicles (2006 T&C SWB, 08 PT Cruiser, 04 Camry) and it installed easily in each one.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I think it's ugly :whistle:

But I still :love: it and if I had to get a seat for a newborn tomorrow, I would get the TF.

horseymom

I love ours! the only thing really for us is adjusting the harness. it's a PIA b/c the vehical seats are flat and it is hard to get at. but I just leave it where it need to be :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Oh, and when installing RF you have to unsnap the cover to expose the belt path, but the snaps are too low so allow you to re-snap the cover in place when the seat is installed.

fyrfightermomma

You pretty much have to use the lock offs which I dont think is great, but not horrible.

Also on page 36 in the manual it says a tether has to be used in all forward facing installations. I think someone is checking if thats true or not, but that might limit you

I dont like the continuous harness so much yet, but I am getting better with it.

But it has awesome deep side wings, no head slump, is pretty reclined when installed (great for nappers) and so far I love it. It fits fine RFing and FFing.

firemomof3

I didn't like the continuous harness, it always seemed like one side was loose & it drove me crazy. And I didn't like how my son seemed to be swallowed up in the seat. But, those are just my pet peeves, it has so many awsome qualities: lots of leg room rf, tall harness slots, fast adjustable harness, easy to install, great price.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Cons
-big & heavy seat
-lock-offs *must* be used
-continuous harness I found twisty
-adjuster hard to reach rear facing

Pros
-lots of leg room rear facing
-head rest removes for younger babies
-high weight limits, tall harness positions

evansmom

what is a continuous harness?

why can't then just make a seat that is easy to use for every aspect??!?!!?!?!

I'm so confused by all of this.. We just installed a TF today and now it sounds like a PITA.. I don't understand any of this car seat talk and I'm just getting so frustrated.... :(

I like the MA we put in my car, but changeing the harness height looks like a PITA also!!! I'm dreading having to undo it and try to tackle that..

Anyone out there recommend the perfect car seat? My Chicco Keyfit was SOO easy to use. I wish he could stay in that forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help........................................

Thanks

scatterbunny

The "perfect" seat is different for everyone. The cons some folks have listed don't bother everyone! I :love: the True Fit. I think it would be my first choice of convertible seats if I had to choose one right now. :thumbsup: Some folks much prefer the Evenflo Triumph Advance or Marathon over the True Fit, but not me. I don't like the EFTA's red tabs at the shoulder, I don't like the knobs. If the EFTA didn't have the red tabs or knobs, I'd have a hard time deciding which seat I liked better. The Marathon is great, too, I love the rear-facing tether and the narrow, sculpted base (so even though it's wide like the True Fit and EFTA, it puzzles well with other seats because the base is tall and narrow). But I like that the EFTA and True Fit offer more leg room rear-facing, and more shoulder room forward-facing.

I don't think any seat is really a PITA to adjust harness height, and the manuals cover it pretty well. :thumbsup:

I'd probably only consider a Radian if I needed to fit three-across. I think it's a solid, high-quality seat, but it has very shallow sides. Still, I love how low to the vehicle seat it sits, making loading/unloading a heavy child easier for me (another reason I love the True Fit).

evansmom

scatterbunny-
doesn't the TF kind of have knobs too? or are they different?
i haven't seen the seat installed yet. my DH took it somewhere this AM... but they had a hard time getting the lock offs closed so I don't think it happened? also, my DH is now very cramped in the front seat since he had to move up to allow for this seat with the headrest.. he won;'t be comfortable driving like that. maybe the TF seat is too reclined?

any insight?

thanks..

tl01

Why is it not a good thing to have to use the lock offs? I like the lock offs and think that they make a solid install very easy.

tl01

I really like our TF. They only issue I can see is the continuous harness but it isn't a big deal. Like others said, in a way it makes it a little easier to get the harness on b/c you can borrow from the other side. I think the install is very easy with this seat (at least in cars where I've used this seat). Something else that is important to me is that DS is very comfortable in the seat and sleeps well in it.

Babynurse83

Hello,
Could someone explain the difference more about the continues harness? I went to Target tonight and saw the TrueFit there and played around with it. (So much so that a woman asked if I worked there lol) I remembered this thread and looked at the Marathon that was right next to it and couldn't tell the difference.

chay

A continuous harness means that the straps on the right side are part of the same strap as the ones on the left side. In comparison, some seats (such as a Marathon) have 2 separate straps for the right and left. You can't tell by looking at the seats from the front, they both will look the same.

The reason that some people find this annoying is that with a continuous strap you can end up having one side really tight and the other really loose. You then have to fiddle around with pulling the loose side and feeding it through so that the tight side gets the slack until they are both equally tight.

After owning a Marathon I found the continuous strap a little annoying but livable. My only other complaint is that when you have it installed as upright as possible it is a real challenge to access the harness release. This wouldn't be a problem for more inclined infants but my toddler refuses to be that reclined and I don't have a lot of room in my civic anyways.

brooklynsmommy

The continuous harness means that it doesn't stop at each hip. It means that from the top shoulder the belt is threaded though the chest clip, buckle, UNDER THE SEAT, though the other buckle and chest clip, and then attached to the other side of the harness adjuster/ splitter plate. With a split one, the straps are separate on both sides of the child. It is attached at the splitter plate, chest clip, buckle and then threaded though the shell with a metal thing on the end like the crotch buckle. It is the same on the other side a well. Hope that makes sense!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC