Such a Deal!

ADS

lorinick

That is a BRU sign for a old box. with an old SKU number. It's not a sale. Just a Dis. box. The peoples comments are nutty.

scatterbunny

It's just people who don't know any better. :( They don't KNOW that their Cosco seats do not harness to 80 pounds, just because "80 pounds" is emblazoned on the box (it harnesses to 40 pounds, then converts to a booster). They don't KNOW that the LATCH connectors are different on Britax (and certain other) seats. So because they don't know, they don't understand, and because they don't understand, they have to make fun of the expensive seat, or the expensive seat-buyer. :thumbsdown:

vonfirmath

So because they don't know, they don't understand, and because they don't understand, they have to make fun of the expensive seat, or the expensive seat-buyer. :thumbsdown:

I am dreading when my sister realizes I have the dreaded Britax seats. Because I remember her comments when they got into an accident with her kids and someone else's kids in the car -- about how the other person wanted so much money from the insurance agency because they had had "expensive seats" -- I didn't know better at the time. I suspect now they were Britaxes. So what is she going to think of me now?

but I've also since learned she turned them ALL Forward-facing before 1 year and I'll be surprised if any of them are even still in boosters now that the youngest is almost-5.

So I am expecting a little bit of flack when we do things differently, car seat wise. And live in the same state so we see each other too. (though I still want to move)

niccig

Just tell her that you got the best seat you could find for your child and your happy with your purchase. And then walk away.
I'm sure ILs had a few comments when we gave SIL a BV that DS could still use, but I had replaced it with a Safeguard - got a killer deal on the Safeguard. I offered it to SIL and she said they would go look at the stores, I got a very quick phone call back saying they would take it. I know my other SIL and MIL would have had words about my extravagant car seat purchase, but no one is game to say a word to me, because they know I know what I'm talking about and I'll tell them too.

I was tempted to create an account and chime in.... ignorance. i think part of it is insecurity, though. SOme may have a little voice in them saying "meybe there IS something to this seat, but everyone thinks its ridiculous so I will, too". or something like that. maybe trying to justify it to themselves that their seat is better or the britax owners or just paying for a label.

I am a PROUD Britax owner (have 3!) and right now, they are the seats for my family. I "Get" why Britax charges so much for them and I am happy to pay it. I think they are excellents seats... and I have dealt with several cheapo/average seats before.

If my SIL and MIL knew what kind of carseats I have in my car and the cost, they would make fun of me. My SIL not as much as my MIL. although, my MIL is one of those people that likes to say things like "we didnt ride in carseats and we survived". yeah, that makes A LOT of sense considering kids DID die due to not having restraints, hense why we have seats and the law now. They all think I am a nut for my parenting ways, so I am not surprised. LOL I parent outside of their box. :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
although, my MIL is one of those people that likes to say things like "we didnt ride in carseats and we survived". yeah, that makes A LOT of sense considering kids DID die due to not having restraints, hense why we have seats and the law now. They all think I am a nut for my parenting ways, so I am not surprised. LOL I parent outside of their box. :)

I had parents say that at work on Thursday night to me - I told them "when you know better, you do better. You know the risks, now it's your decision about what you'll do." They wanted to put their 40lb 3yr old in a booster and were peeved at my suggestion of a combo seat because they'd spent a bunch of money on an eddie bauer that was supposed to last. :rolleyes:

(And it just dawned on me, now I'm not only going to get the ticked off parents at seat checks when I tell them their kid has outgrown the 3in1 and needs another harnessed seat, I'll have to deal with them at work too. :eek: )

geth

sadly....i can only afford one of the not so expensive carseats. and i didn't even buy the one i have.
i have looked at the britax and other seat so many times just drooling over the keyboard wishing i could get something better for my son and i plan on doing so as soon as i can.
i don't think bad about anybody either way. some people opt for the cheaper even if they can afford better because they aren't as well informed. and people buy the britax and other because they are informed.
and yeah we used to ride standing in the front seat or what have you. but the world isn't the same as it was back 20 years ago. it was dangerous to do that back then so it's not any better now for sure!
what's sad is a nurse at the hospital told me i should turn my 8 month old baby FF cause he hated riding in the car and when i called the state highway patrol they said there are no laws on how long children have to be RF said just read the carseat instructions. this is why some people don't know any better!!!! i almost did it! luckily.....i did more research.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
sadly....i can only afford one of the not so expensive carseats. and i didn't even buy the one i have.
i have looked at the britax and other seat so many times just drooling over the keyboard wishing i could get something better for my son and i plan on doing so as soon as i can.

If you are using the seat you have now correctly, if it fits your vehicle properly, and if it fits your son properly, then there is no reason to replace the seat you currently have.

Britax does NOT hold a patent on safety. All carseats from every manufacturer protect children well when installed properly and used according to directions.

Please don't feel guilty that your son isn't in a good enough seat. Every seat certified to FMVSS 213 standards (if you're in the US,) and CMVSS 213 standards (if you're in Canada,) IS safe when installed and used correctly. For all we know, the seat you have now could actually perform better than a Britax... don't string yourself out financially to buy a seat just based on reputation or brand name if you have a seat that fits him and that you're using correctly. There isn't really any need. What I'd suggest is saving so that when he outgrows his current seat, you can get one that will keep him harnessed longer. Provided he can get to at least 2yrs old rf'ing in his current seat before outgrowing it, then I'd head for a Graco Nautilus - high slots, high weight limit, converts to a booster, and it's reasonably priced. There is absolutely no need in the world to spend $250 on a seat when a $150 seat meets your needs. (Of course some do because they want to, but from a safety perspective, there's no proven benefit.)

niccig

I agree with Trudy. I did have a Britax and now a Safeguard, but I also own a Safety First Uptown and I love that seat. The Avenue is basically the same as the Uptown and it's at Sears for $65, so not high end, but it's just as good as my other seats and I do not worry about my son when he's in the Uptown. It's installed correctly, he's in it correctly, so he's as safe as my other seats.

scatterbunny

Another nod in agreement with Trudy. :) While I own a Britax or two, I also own less-expensive seats, and would own a Cosco Scenera and Safety 1st Avenue in a heartbeat if I had an unlimited budget and a more understanding husband. :p The most important thing is making sure the seat you have installs well, is used properly and fits your child properly. The main thing I think folks don't realize about Britax seats (Marathon, Decathlon, Boulevard, Regent and Frontier) is that they have taller top slots than many, many options on the market, so they will last longer. People just don't notice the top slot height difference, first and foremost. People also don't notice the different LATCH connectors, or understand that they are usually easier to deal with than the usual style connectors. All I hope for is that people are fully informed, know the features that are important to them, and choose a seat they can use correctly, that fits the child and the vehicle. My top features to look for when seat-shopping are tall top slots, a supportive seating area, and an overall comfortable seat. I can deal with a challenging install because I look at it as FUN. :p Most folks will skip a challenging install because it's just too much to deal with, especially if they are installing often.

My point is, no one should feel bad for choosing a cheaper seat, if it truly is the right one for your situation. :thumbsup: I only get upset with folks who slam Britax just because it's expensive, without knowing why. It's either their ignorance showing, or, like someone else posted, their insecurity.

geth

thanks! right now i have the evenflo titan. and if you have read any other post of mine....i HATE it! my carrier was a graco and i loved it. but he started getting too big for it and uncomfortable. at first he didn't mind the titan he liked it....but now he's back to screaming the entire time he's in the car. so i don't go anywhere!
i could probably take it back and get one that i like better for the same price or even a little more.....but like i said my mom bought it and she loves it. (only cause she doesn't use it ever!)

i really appreciate what you all said! cause i was feeling guilty!

scatterbunny

I remember your Titan posts. :p I totally understand why you don't like it--but maybe he's just an unhappy car rider right now? I think most kids go through those phases. If you've tried playing with the level of recline to see if that makes a difference, it might just be a phase.

Splash

Another nod in agreement with Trudy. :) While I own a Britax or two, I also own less-expensive seats, and would own a Cosco Scenera and Safety 1st Avenue in a heartbeat if I had an unlimited budget and a more understanding husband. :p

Uh... what would you *do* with them, J? Some things i can see owning just for the heck of it, but a Scenera is just not one of them. Any seat, really, is not one of them, when your kid outgrew it 3 years ago...

scatterbunny

Uh... what would you *do* with them, J? Some things i can see owning just for the heck of it, but a Scenera is just not one of them. Any seat, really, is not one of them, when your kid outgrew it 3 years ago...

I've been posting quite a bit lately about carpooling with my friend Andie (AndieW here on the boards) and her two kids. Fitting three-across in my car is a challenge, and it's a PITA to have to reinstall her seats in her car every time. I'd love to just have my own seats for situations like this. And yeah, I admit it, I'm a collector more than anything these days. I love having a bunch of seats to choose from. Some work better than others in different situations.

As for the Scenera, in my Focus, with the current seats I have available (between Andie and me), it works the best for a rear-facing child. The weird way the base is designed (sort of open) is what allows for easy booster buckling for H.

jewlsvern

I actually was at BRU last week and all their Britax seats were marked down on sale for 1 cent less. I got a good laugh out of it. I thought "why even bother"

Kat_Momof3

I got a good laugh out of it....

I just have to say that we've come a long way with seats. I still remember when Britax was the only option if you needed a seat to harness over 40lbs.

Look at all the options now. We're doing great and I expect the options to only continue to increase.

NannyMom

thanks! right now i have the evenflo titan. and if you have read any other post of mine....i HATE it! my carrier was a graco and i loved it. but he started getting too big for it and uncomfortable. at first he didn't mind the titan he liked it....but now he's back to screaming the entire time he's in the car. so i don't go anywhere!
i could probably take it back and get one that i like better for the same price or even a little more.....but like i said my mom bought it and she loves it. (only cause she doesn't use it ever!)

i really appreciate what you all said! cause i was feeling guilty!

Geth,
I have a Titan and love it (except that it won't last long enough since my daughter is so small). The straps can tiwst, but if you're careful each time you buckle it's not so bad. There's a woman here called the carseat lady (www.thecarseatlady.com). She knows all there is to know about carseat safety (even which seat will/won't work in which vehicles). I asked her what seat to get and she suggested the TItan. Not because it was cheap, but because it was a good seat at a good price. Don't feel bad about having a "cheap" seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC