Very Happy with my hospital here

ProudMomof5

I just had my baby boy on Monday and before I was discharged from the hospital they made me watch a carseat safey video.

I was really impressed. They talked about ERF and some EH on there. They did say that the minimum age and weight to be FF is 20lbs and 1year, BUT it's safest to keep your child RF until 30lbs OR the limits of the carseat. They even showed an example of a 21month old still RF!!!! I was so surprised!
They had the crash test examples of a child in a FF seat compared to RF and explained how RF will cradle their necks and heads.

They didn't have a whole lot about EH, but they did mention the higher weight harness seats if there is no lap/shoulder belt combo.

They also mentioned not using aftermarket products because of not being able to tighten the harness as well. They said do not use any pillow head positioners except for what came with the seat.

They also mentioned keeping a kid in a HBB if there is no head support.

I was just impressed. I thought for sure it would be outdated info. Although they weren't as adamant about ERF and EH as everyone is on here they at least are getting the word out that its better and to do it as long as possible!

yay!

ADS

amyg530

Congrats on the new baby!
thats awesome about your hospital, now if only all hospitals would do that!

groovymom2000

Congrats! I don't know of any hospitals here that do anything like that at all. In fact, they didn't even check that mine was buckled into his seat.
As for the info., perhaps they didn't want to overwhelm new parents and focused mostly on the immediate need--keeping new baby safe. If you get to 2 RF, I would bet that you are much more likely to EH....:whistle:
Again, congratulations. Maybe you should write a note to the hospital praising their good work--so they will keep it up?

MOM25BOYS

Welcome back Mama and Congrats on the new baby!!!:D That is awesome about the hospital showing a video.:thumbsup: Glad to see you and the baby are doing great!:)

MomToEliEm

Congratulations on your baby!

Do you know who made the video? Was it a video your local coalition made or something that maybe is available elsewhere. I would love to see something like that on youtube to share with others.

ProudMomof5

Did you know that it was a boy? How exciting!

Yep we found out as soon as we could and we are still in disbelief that we have a boy after 4 girls!

Do you know who made the video? Was it a video your local coalition made or something that maybe is available elsewhere. I would love to see something like that on youtube to share with others.

I have no idea. I guess I could find that out. It actually looked like an old video that was maybe updated because they have the new info and newer carseats, but then they also have some really old carseats with the older info. Like things that don't change.. like they had an old station wagon with a woman getting in and they were talking about how to wear your seat belt when you are pregnant.. that part looked like it was from the 80's. LOL

Kat_Momof3

see if you can find out what video it is... because once we know, we can pressure hospitals to update their video library. (they only made me watch videos on babycare with my firstborn... with my 2nd, since he was a boy, they let me opt out, and with my 3rd, since she was a girl, I got to choose... and I watched the diaper one to make sure I had the diapering girls stuff down).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC