Tried talking parents out of a booster for a 3yr old tonight...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In AB we don't have a minimum age to be in a booster - just 40lbs combined with proper use. Proper use is a weight limit and a minimum height to use the booster, so in this case the child met both.

She was 40lbs on the nose in a 3in1 seat so I told the parents they had to remove the harness and convert it to a booster now and tried to get them to buy a HWH seat - even one of the evenflo ones would get her to age 4.5 or 5...
The parents were really resistant though even with the explanation about kids moving out of position and then being basically unprotected. The mom was quite adamant about the whole staying harnessed at 3.5yrs old being overboard because all her friends 3yr olds are in boosters already. :(

So they're going to go home and mull over their options - based on the description of their vehicle the apex is a good choice for them, and they'll likely get that if they buy one. Otherwise this little 3yr old girl is going to be riding around in a 3in1 booster. :(

And on a related rant, the health unit told mom that a couple lbs over the weight limit of the harness wasn't a big deal and that they could keep using the harness. :mad: I told mom that maybe it wouldn't fail at 1lb over, but maybe it would and there was no way to know at what point the seat would fail. And I told her that if she was pulled over for a seat check and using the seat's harness with a 41lb kid she'd get a ticket. Dang 3in1 seats... parents buy it thinking it'll last, but then it doesn't. And they don't want to spend more money because they've already spent over $200 in the first place. Someone ought to sue Dorel for false advertising. :whistle:

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I just helped install a 3 in 1 for a not born yet. Yeah, like that will work, but mom won't listen and then accused me of breaking the base on her seat!

Kat_Momof3

3-in-1s aren't too bad for newborns... though a scenera is a little better.

why did she think you broke her base?

Too sad about the 3.5yr old in the seat as a booster.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I took it of and set it aside. No biggy, right? Tried installing without the base. Mom then finally allowed the front seat not the be used, so I picked up the base, lined in up and started putting it back on. I noticed the crack, so I mentioned it to mom. She asked what to do, I said to return it.

She had told me, to begin with that two of her relatives had tried for a hour to install the seat.

She called the hospital a few days later, accusing me of breaking it!

Kat_Momof3

the front seat?? what the heck??

Man... she was just out to blame you for anything she could.

I actually wondered if maybe she thought the base couldn't come off... should have known it couldn't be that simple.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC