motorhome and boosterseats

M

mxmom452

We have a 2002 Hurricane 33SL motorhome, and there are NO shoulder straps in the whole rv !! I have a 6 and a 11 year old and I do not know where the safest place is to put the kids, eap. the 6 year old who needs a boosterseat! Is the boosterseat used only with the shoulder straps? Any help would be very appreciated, Peggy:)

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
There should be l/s belts in the front 2 seats. It's hard to sacrifice one child's safety for another, but I guess you'd put the 6yo up their in his booster (yes, it MUST use l/s belts) and then you and the 11yo (if you're not driving, lol) in the back.

M

mxmom452

motorhome

There are NO shoulder straps in the whole rv! The side walls up front of some class -a rvs can't support the sholder harness, or that's what I am told! Do I still put her up front with the booster seat and no shoulder strap or just use the lap strap? We did not realize the shoulder strap issue until after the papers were signed!! Thanks for your help, Peggy

M

mxmom452

rv

What I meant with the above staement, we just bought this rv 2 months ago, and did not realize it lacked shoulder harnesses until we went to leave!Peggy

Michi

Could the dealer install shoulder belts for the driver & co-pilot? If so, you could use a booster then.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yup I'm shocked! :) I would either see about retrofitting or getting the EZon harness. Again, that can only be used in a ffing seat, so you and the oldest aren't really safe back there, but I'm assuming motor homes don't get into all that many accidents, hopefully anyways.

skaterbabs

statistically, motor homes get into a LOT of crashes. There are not safe for anyone, and there is no way for the OP to safely transport her children in one.

skaterbabs

statistically, motor homes get into a LOT of crashes. There are not safe for anyone, and there is no way for the OP to safely transport her children in one.

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We usually recommend Mom or dad follow the RV in a passenger vehicle so everyone can be safely buckled in. Yup motorhomes offer little to no protection in a crash...scary huh.

Jodi CPST

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
thepeach80 said:
Terrifying! I guess I know what we'll never own...

Same here, I had no idea about RVs and seatbelts until now. This has been very informative and an eye opener for me.

skaterbabs

IMO the issue with retrofitting belts into an RV is the lack of reinforced placesto anchor them. I really wish the RV companies would think a little more about safety, kwim?

LEAW

My friend who sells RVs says that's true for most of them, the sides are soooo big and long and not reinforced, and they can't put belts into them.

What about putting the booster kid in a BIG harnessed seat (Husky?) and using the lap belt up front?

skaterbabs

That's a good idea if they can have the tether anchor installed, and only one child rides in the RV.

Kellyr2

Okay - so what would you say about this? Like, how would you approach the situation?
My parents like to take the kids on vacation with them sometimes. last year they took ds camping with them. They've got an RV. They drive it with the car being pulled behind. I know they'd balk big time if they planned to do it again, and I told them they had to drive a seperate car. But having read more about it in the past year, i don't want my kids riding in there again. (and dd is old enough, they'd likely want to take her next time too) If it was MY RV, and I was paying for the trip, I'd just drive the car seperately. But its trickier when you're making demands on someone else's travel plans and budget, ya know?
So how would you deal with that?
(it probably wouldn't come as a huge shock to them, once I presented the safety angle, as I also requested that my mom drive up here to get them instead of flying so that I could install the MA myself, and then said if she flew that was fine, but she wasn't allowed to check the seats, only gate check. I can only imagine the horror if I'd insisted that she actually install the MA on the plane LOL. In the end, they drove, but not in her car, but i went over installation with her, and sent the Parkway for ds so that installing the Husky wouldn't be an issue)

skaterbabs

you know, when it comes to something as important as this, I'd be honest. "Hey, that's great that you want to take the kids, but RVs aren't safe for them."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC