Tell me what I should do.....issues w/Parkway

Chex

So a few months back I bought a Parkway at Sears for $40. We've used it as a 2nd seat for DS, so it hasn't been used very much at all....maybe 10-15 times. Well, the other day when I was bringing it into the garage from dh's car, I noticed that the headrest wasn't locking in place. It wouldn't stay "up" in any position...it just fell back to the lowest position. So I called Britax and they said it needs to be replaced. They can send me another one in Granite or Brownstone (the one we have is Granite) or she offered to send me a Monarch instead. I love the idea of having a Monarch, but I know it won't fit as well in a 3-across situation, which is what we'd be using it in a lot of the time. What do you think I should do? The frugal part of me says, "Get the more expensive seat while you can!" But the logical part of me says, "A seat that doesn't fit where you need it to won't do you any good." Anybody with experience here? Does the Monarch puzzle well w/other Britax seats? Is it just too wide to do a 3-across w/it? Also, I'm a little nervous now about getting another Parkway. I know this is probably a fluke, but do you know if this has happened to a lot of Parkways?

Tell me what I should do!!!!!!

Oh, also she said I'd need to send the cover back (not the plastic). They'll send me a shipping label, but I'm a little frustrated because I was thinking that would be the one good thing to come out of this.....that I'd now have an extra cover. Is there anything I can do about that?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know about the cover, but yes, it's a known problem on the Parkway. It's not so common that we would tell people not to get one or use one (mine is fine), but it's happened enough that we hear of it here. Though people come here specifically because they do have that problem, so we hear more than the normal population. If a Monarch won't fit then don't get it.

Wendy

loufrando

That happens to my Parkway on and off. It will stay in position most of the time out of the car and it stays pretty well in my car but in some cars (like my MIL's) it absolutely would not lock into any position no matter what. I think it's because of the shape/angle of the particular seatback/headrest. I have thought about calling Britax about it, but like you, I use it mostly for carpool/other people's cars/3 across situations and I'm concerned that a Monarch wouldn't fit.

I love it for what I bought it for, it really fits the bill. I wish that the headrest locked more securly like other boosters I've seen and used! It really never feels 'locked' and secure.

Has anyone ever gotten a replacement and if so, did the new on lock better than your original one, or are they all a little squirelly? If so I'm not going to bother even calling.

I'll be interested to see what you end up doing and how it works out for you.

Kat_Momof3

that happened to mine... I did get it replaced... and the new one did not have that problem.

THe parkway is now discontinued, though, so they'd send you a Monarch.

Someone on another board mentioned that one thing can cause the problem... using the headrest on my captain's chair or third row bench. Instead of turning it backwards, that I should remove it because they found that was what made a difference for them.

I took the advice and that did indeed seem to fix the problem after the first parkway had been inside a few days (I was concerned it was due in part to the heat, which would make the seat not very durable). But... it started doing it again anyway... before I sent it back.

The new one NEVER did it... and I did have the headrest on backwards since it didn't solve the problem with the older one.

But maybe it will help for you?

Chex

Alright....I think I'll just get a new Parkway. She said they still had a couple. I should have her check DOM's, though. Thanks, guys!

sarsah

I had two Parkways replaced because of this (before they were disontinued). I ended up selling the two I had because I was tired of dealing with the problem and my older DS found them uncomfortable because of his long legs.

Sarah.........

Kat_Momof3

You know, that's why I sold it instead of keeping it for Ruthie to grow into (since the lifespan was good enough for her to get till age 9.5yrs)... Jeffrey loved his cow booster, but when he outgrew it, I just couldn't rationalize keeping it. He wanted to save it for his sissy, but I convinced him that since she didn't need it right then, the seat would be SAD having no one to keep safe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC