how do I make a top tether point?

Misty-Bug

Someone had once talked about using the belt behind the seat for a top tether. How do I do that.

the van is a 1995 dodge caravan.
it doesn't have locking belts. They only have one top tether hook and it is being used on the AOE (eddie bauer edition). She made the decision based on the info I gave her. The radian she is using performed better in crash tests without the top tether then the other seat. Plus the younger one is in the EB.
So the radian is STILL not tethered. They haven't gotten it done.
So what can I do to MAKE a tether to the back seat? Or can I hook under the seat to a solid bar? My gut says no but dad says it is fine. We have argued before. LOL

ETA: oh and pretend the seat isn't in. The bench seat behind the captains chairs. Cause they always take it out. Just not sure how to do this to the belt with the male end. Did I confuse you all yet? lol
just ask questions

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So you want to use the seatbelt, or do you want to rig something up? I'm not certain how to tether to a seatbelt. Someone here should know.

However, I would never rig anything up. The Radian performs wonderfully without the tether. And no seat requires t top tether. I'd rather a carseat not tethered than rigged up.

Wendy

Misty-Bug

So you want to use the seatbelt, or do you want to rig something up? I'm not certain how to tether to a seatbelt. Someone here should know.

However, I would never rig anything up. The Radian performs wonderfully without the tether. And no seat requires t top tether. I'd rather a carseat not tethered than rigged up.

Wendy

I won't rig anything up cause I don't feel it is safe. Someone once told me about using the seatbelt. Not sure if I can attach it to the seat itself
the only reason I am concerned is cause it is law in Canada

keri1292

Here's the thread with a pic and discussion. You'll need a LC to lock the belt and clip the tether to the seatbelt itself.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
That links shows top tethering to a seatbelt without the locking clip. In a caravan with lightweight locking latchplates you *need* to use the locking clip to keep the seatbelt locked until a collision occurs and the ELR kicks in.

Also with the Radian... IF the child is under 40lbs...

Make sure the Safestop is ON if Tethered.

Make sure the Safestop is OFF if NOT Tethered.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That links shows top tethering to a seatbelt without the locking clip. In a caravan with lightweight locking latchplates you *need* to use the locking clip to keep the seatbelt locked until a collision occurs and the ELR kicks in.

The couple of times that I've tethered to lightweight locking latchplates or locking latchplates, there comes a point if you tighten the tether strap enough that the belts are parallel to each other enough that the lap section won't lengthen and the tether stays tight. If the seatbelt's lap portion isn't lengthening once the tether is pulled tight - this will often put the male end of the seatbelt almost right at the top of the carseat shell, then I'm 100% fine with not using a locking clip.

Otherwise I'd be more comfortable with connecting the seatbelt as normal in the 3rd row, and hooking the tether clip to the lap section of the seatbelt webbing. (Which is also an approved method for creating a temporary TA.) This would also make a locking clip unnecessary in most cases, but if it was needed, at least it would be down below the seat back where it wouldn't be as risky a projectile.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The couple of times that I've tethered to lightweight locking latchplates or locking latchplates, there comes a point if you tighten the tether strap enough that the belts are parallel to each other enough that the lap section won't lengthen and the tether stays tight. If the seatbelt's lap portion isn't lengthening once the tether is pulled tight - this will often put the male end of the seatbelt almost right at the top of the carseat shell, then I'm 100% fine with not using a locking clip.

Otherwise I'd be more comfortable with connecting the seatbelt as normal in the 3rd row, and hooking the tether clip to the lap section of the seatbelt webbing. (Which is also an approved method for creating a temporary TA.) This would also make a locking clip unnecessary in most cases, but if it was needed, at least it would be down below the seat back where it wouldn't be as risky a projectile.

In a Caravan, just buckling up the seatbelt will not cause the lap/buckle/shoulder portions to be parallel... it will still slide freely. You *need* to use a locking clip. :(

Having the buckle right up to the seat shell *may* work, but I'd feel safer with a locking clip on it... especially if a tech is not present to double check that it is locked and will stay that way.

Misty-Bug

thanks for the link
I will have to use the LC. The belts don't lock. But my thing is how is that gonna work? Will it eventually pull so much out that the belt I am locking too won't go any further?
the little girl is like 48lbs.
So do I do the LC like I would normally when installing seats? Then just pull and tighten until it doesn't tighten anymore????
I will read the other post but I am getting the kids ready to go to the park. I have a play date :thumbsup:

I am sure I make no sense.....sorry. I am just really confused. What's new. LOL. Can someone SHOW me how the LC would look with the seat? I have to install it then she is back to vancouver. Not something I will be able to post pics of, get an opinion then redo. I will show her how to do it also. I should refer her to a tech.
Hey QuasEE, do you go near BCIT??

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You should refer her to a tech. You should not install another person's seat when you are not a tech and not completely sure what you are doing. Have her read what's been posted here and help her learn how to tether to her belt.

Misty-Bug

If anyone can get a hold of QuasEE please tell her I am looking for her. I want to get her to do this for my friend.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat: to chickabiddy

Misty, you really need to let people do it themselves until you can get certified... or refer them to a tech that can help them.

It really is up to the *parent* to do what is safest for their child... they need to be the one willing to seek out the techs and get their install checked and be taught how to do it properly. You can provide info on where those techs are, but you should *not* be installing/teaching others how to install their seats.

I know you mean well, but it's just not enough to come on here, get our advice and then go out and help others by installing their seats. :eek: Sorry, I know you probably don't like hearing that, but you really need to wait until you are certified... there is *so* much to learn in a class, it can not all be taught here... especially with no hands on or one on one time with a certified tech.

Misty-Bug

:yeahthat: to chickabiddy

Misty, you really need to let people do it themselves until you can get certified... or refer them to a tech that can help them.

It really is up to the *parent* to do what is safest for their child... they need to be the one willing to seek out the techs and get their install checked and be taught how to do it properly. You can provide info on where those techs are, but you should *not* be installing/teaching others how to install their seats.

I know you mean well, but it's just not enough to come on here, get our advice and then go out and help others by installing their seats. :eek: Sorry, I know you probably don't like hearing that, but you really need to wait until you are certified... there is *so* much to learn in a class, it can not all be taught here... especially with no hands on or one on one time with a certified tech.

well I am not gonna touch it then. The only reason I HELPED to install it was cause I have the same seat and then referred her to the fire department. The guy said it was one of the tightest installs he had seen.

so please ignore this post from now on. I won't touch the seat. You are all right. Just was trying to help

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Isn't it better to teach her how to install a seat rather then have her not know and not have it done correctly....
I don't install FOR her. I show her how to do it and get her involved.

Short answer is *no*, it's not safer for you to show her how to do an install that you yourself are just learning. If it's the same seat you have, in the same vehicle, in the same position... and you've had yours checked by a tech... then, yes you could show them... but this is a new situation where you are asking a lot of questions.

The questions are good, but the *parent* still needs to be the one to do this seeking. Unfortunately, we just can't save the world. :( Parents have to have some responsibility in there too.

how far back does she put the locking clip? Is it an inch away from the male end like we would do when installing? And if so how does that lock?

If anyone can get a hold of QuasEE please tell her I am looking for her. I want to get her to do this for my friend.

A locking clip is *always* placed within one inch of the buckle.

You can pm QuasEE or call ICBC to find out where their techs are located.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
well I am not gonna touch it then. The only reason I HELPED to install it was cause I have the same seat and then referred her to the fire department. The guy said it was one of the tightest installs he had seen.

so please ignore this post from now on. I won't touch the seat. You are all right. Just was trying to help

You will be a great tech, once you can get trained... you have great passion for this! You just need to get trained first because there are so many different variables out there. :eek: :)

Misty-Bug

You will be a great tech, once you can get trained... you have great passion for this! You just need to get trained first because there are so many different variables out there. :eek: :)

it's all good. I have the chance to be trained but am not sure I can afford it. She read her manual like I said then asked to get my strength into the seat cause she can never get it tight enough.
I will stop helping. I will refer to ICBC. Now I worry that I put her in too much danger or something. She always helps me and knows how to do it. SHE makes the decisions.
Guess I should not be so eager to help. lol.
thanks. Maybe we can just let this thread die now??

thanks anyway. sorry........:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC