Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

First time IIHS side tests small pickups

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr072408.html

Excerpt:

News Release | July 24, 2008

First time Institute side tests small pickups: Toyota rates good, but results for others are 'dismal' and key safety feature isn't standard on most models

ARLINGTON, VA — Small pickups aren't providing as much protection in side crashes as many new cars and SUVs. The Toyota Tacoma was the only one of five small pickup trucks, all 2008 models, to earn the highest rating of good for occupant protection in recent side crash tests conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The Dodge Dakota, Ford Ranger, and Nissan Frontier are rated marginal, and the Chevrolet Colorado is rated poor in the side test, which simulates a side impact from an SUV or another pickup.

"More people may be looking at small pickups because of rising gas prices," says Institute president Adrian Lund. "Unfortunately, they won't find many that afford state-of-the-art crash protection. Most earn dismal ratings for protecting people in side crashes, and all but the Tacoma and Frontier lack electronic stability control, which is a key feature in preventing crashes. Until they improve, most small pickups aren't good choices for people looking for safe transportation."
    The full IIHS news release, including an online video showing small pickup side crash tests, and more detailed vehicle crash ratings, may be viewed by clicking the above link.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Re: First time IIHS side tests small pickups

Wow. That is interesting!

I always thought a pickup, even a small one, would be fairly safe. I'm not sure where I got that idea (perhaps just out of the air? ). I guess I was wrong.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

You know? This is pretty sad. The automakers have known about IIHS testing standards for years and could easily have engineered these things to meet them in that time and still kept the prices reasonable.

Add to this the statistic that pick up drivers have the lowest seatbelt usage and... well... ouch.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

*cries*
    Dh has his heart set on getting a ranger......

well..even a ranger has better protection than his tuna can.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017