Land Rover-lr3-3rd Row

A

augustar

My wife and I are planning to buy a Land Rover-LR3. It's a good SUV but its 3rd row seat doesn't have the LATCH. The guy from the dealer told us it's not safe to put the child in the 3rd row. If without the LATCH, can I still safely anchore the car seat in the 3rd row. How? Can anyone recommend us a car seat perfect for an LR3? Please help, anyone. Thanks.

Daddy of 2

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In most vehicles, it is safe to put children in the 3rd row. Perhaps the LR3 has some design problem and they recommend otherwise. If that is the case, you might consider an alternative as that sounds pretty scary.

Seatbelts are just as safe as LATCH as long as they secure the child restraint properly. In fact, we usually recommend that parents use whichever system results in a better fit. LATCH is preferable if it results in a good fit only because it is usually easier to install.

Also:

http://www.suvsafety.info/thirdrow.html

U

Unregistered

Mom who owns LR3

Hello. Ok., so my husband and I own an LR3 HSE. We also welcomed our first child this past October. We've used our LR3 extensivly with her. When she was 2 months old, we traveled up the West coast, from California to Vancouver, Canada. We carried everything with us, and still felt comfortable. Then, when she was 4 1/2 months, we made a coastal road trip up to San Francisco. Again, very comfortable. Most recently we drove to Vail, and it was great in the weather. This car is a dream for long travels. We've owned a BMW, Mercedes and Honda. The LR3 wins hands down. It handles wonderfully in snow and rain, and I feel VERY safe. We're very active with sports and travel. Now with a child, this car suits our needs. I will say, it's a challenge getting her in and out, due to it being a truck/SUV. However, we added the side steps, which have really helped out. Actually, they were great to have during pregnancy too! There's really no reason to use the 3rd row seat for a child, for quite some time. I'm not sure what age your child is, but it is recommended that you use the middle seat, if you can. You're to always put the youngest child there. CHP, gave us that advice. The thing with the LR3, is the LATCH belts are only on the two side seats and not in the middle. You can ask the dealer though, to drill for them. That's what we did. Most highend cars these days do all three. So, that suprised me with LandRover. As for recommendations on carseats. We used our PegPrego infant seat for several months, but are now using the Britax Boulevard. You can use the Britax from 5lbs on up to I think 33lbs or something. So, that makes it a great longlasting investment. I'm happy having used the PegPrego and then swithing to the Britax. With the PegPrego, we didn't have to wake her wile removing her from the car. Now, that's not possible. However, for those on a budget, who want a seat they can use from infant to toddler, the Britax is the way to go. It's reputation is top notch. It works very well in the LR3, and our daughter has transitioned without issue. Now, for the LATCH vrs seatbelt. We used the seatbelt arrangement with the PegPrego. Which, by the way can be used with the belt or LATCH. We had the base, so we'd just pop it in and out of that. But, now, we have the LATCH installed in the middle, so we use the LATCH with the BRITAX. This is to be a better installment (safer), and less hassle with installation etc..... If I wasn't using the Britax, I'd use the MaxiCosi. However, because it's not imported to the US, they don't meet US saftey standards etc.....(well, they haven't been tested here). So, that's that. Hope this helps.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It is safer to put the least protected child in the middle -- for example: if you have an infant & a 12 year old ... the infant should go outboard because s/he is rear facing in a 5-point harness & the preteen should go in the middle (assuming there's a shoulder belt & headrest).

If there is only a lap belt in the middle, then the infant seat should go there because lap belts are only safe for securing carseats, not larger passengers....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC