I hate evenflo infant seats question

mominabigtruck

Yes I know, long time no see:eek: Been super busy. But anyways I have a problem.

I have a friend that is having a baby in dec and I had already promised to buy her a keyfit 30. Unfortunately her coworkers went in on an evenflo travel system. I know, a big blech on that front. I haven't been to check it out yet so I don't know if its an embrace or discovery, pretty much a lose-lose situation either way but I'm betting on discovery.:(

So I need someone to tell me that it absolutely won't fit in a 2006 scion xb, the boxy one. I already told her that I didn't think it would because of the handle issue, trying to avoid the whole its a pos issue. But she's upset because she doesn't want her coworkers to be offended so I told her they wouldn't if she told them it just plain wouldn't fit. Hopefully I'm going to go check it out this weekend and I will personally try to install it to show her know it all husband that I'm right and he's wrong and just because its free doesn't mean they should keep it:hitselfonhead:

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Well why should they keep a free seat that won't fit, when they can get a free seat that will fit...and last them longer?

Find the 1.5" rule in the manual...hard to argue with the instructions.

Susan

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The '06 Scion xB probably has a blurb in the owner's manual in the airbag section warning against having a child restraint touching the front seatbacks (due to the advanced airbag sensors). A warning against touching the front seatbacks combined with Evenflo's rule about 1.5" of clearance in front of the infant seat would be two strikes against using an Evenflo infant seat in that vehicle.

all together ooky

Oh man! This sounds so familiar. I had the same thing happen to me when I was expecting DD1. I had bought a Snug ride and was doing research on strollers. Well my co-workers got me an Evenflo travel system (portabout5). I was so dissapointed but I didn't say anything. No gift receipt. I just ended up using the SnugRide in the car. And then using the stroller without the carseat. The Portabout hardly was used at all.

Since you are giving her a Keyfit anyway, why can't she just use that? Maybe she can sell the travel system on craigslist. Or can she tell her co-workers that she already has one? The excuse of the carseat not fitting sounds good too. Does she know where they got it? She could just bring it back to the store and get store credit.

Kat_Momof3

I don't know if it will or not, but with the handle needing to be at least 1.5" from the front seat, the odds are not good.

Also, why would they be looking in her car?

If she's worried, have her tell them that her MOTHER-IN-LAW (yes, I'm encouraging a lie in this case) bought her a carseat (the one you buy her) and that SHE will be OFFENDED/LIVID/You-name-it if she doesn't use it.

Everyone will understand THAT.

geth

so i have an evenflo titan and i have recently been complaining that i hate it. but my mom bought it and even when i say i hate it i hate it.....she doesn't seem to care. she says every carseat is the same way.
so it's not just me....you don't like evenflo either?
sorry if you don't mind what seat do you suggest. he is just out of the carrier.
i am sorry if you mind my asking questions. but i just seen that you didn't care for the evenflo.

and if i were your friend i would just tell them thanks....but it doesn't fit. if they are nice enough to buy her such a great gift they wouldn't want her to have a seat that doesn't fit right and isn't safe for her baby with the seats in her car. if she can get the gift receipt then she could just buy something else and say she couldn't resist it and got it instead of looking for another car seat. i would then show them what i got in place of their gift and let them know how much i loved it and appreciated them.
was that long? sorry!

Last edited:

clintamykami

sorry if you don't mind what seat do you suggest. he is just out of the carrier.

My sister-in-law got her daughter a Evenflo Triumph. After looking at it a year before when I bought my Roundabout, I instantly detested it. The knobs are so much more difficult to work with compared to the Britax pull system. The easier it is to get it right the safer. Anyway, I went to babies r us with my mother-in-law to help her pick out a seat. She wanted the Triumph so bad because that was the one her daughter has... I played along knowing, I'm not the one buying the seat I'm not going to tell her what to buy. After taking it to her car to test it out... I realized HOW HORRIBLE the design is. It was such a pain trying to get the seatbelt through those small openings in the seat and once it was in the knobs were pressed up against the seat so they were hard to turn. Anyway, she ended up with the Marathon- more expensive but with it's ease of use it is safer for the kiddos! Anyway I guess this turned out way longer than I planned but I would reccomend Britax. You can't go wrong!

anysia

i just tell her to tell them it didn't fit properly in her car like everyone has mentioned. that should be matter of fact enough that it shouldn't be a problem at all to anyone reasonable. warn her to be prepared though... if any of her coworkers have their own kids and have crammed the same seat in a smaller car, they may tell her it will fit. of course then she can just pull out the facts about needing 1.5 inches of space and also her vehicle's specs telling you the seat cannot touch the vehicle's front seat backs either. but she shouldn't need to go that far unless she has really loopy coworkers. :p but arm her with the info just in case. it will probably make her more at ease too. and tell her to tell her husband that well, the keyfit is already purchased and is free to them as well! in other words, they'll have to hurt someone's feelings, so why not take the easier to use seat (and arguably safer seat) and risk hurting the cowrokers's feelings instead?

coming from an 'i hate evenflo' seats person too... even the highly regarded triumph advance. i couldn't stand it when trying dd out in seats in bru a couple of weekends ago. so in other words i may be a tiny bit biased.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC