Britney's at it again!

ADS

JOII

Over at the BBC board we were all going crazy because of this:

http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2006/03/britney_rides_a.html#more

In the main blog the lady says be sure to read the comment from the pediatric and when you scroll down to read it is says this:

As an Ped. RN in a Trauma Unit and former Paramedic this topic I really felt like joining. Age is the smallest factor in fitting a child in a car seat. Weight is important but also not the biggest factor unless the childs weight exceeds the weight limit on the car seat. Car seats are usually plastic so the weight limits is what that seat is designed to hold...No more. What we tell parents is that neck control and height are the two biggest factors to look for in using a car seat. Car seats all come with max weight and height requirements. THEY ARE SERIOUS AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE FOLLOWED!! The car seat is no longer safe for the child when either of those are exceeded. What you want to look for is head control in the child. Next is the childs feet. If they touch the back seat (I don't mean just their toes slightly brushing the back seat.) it is time to put them front facing. Rear facing is no longer safe for that child or at least in that seat. I need to mention that all car seats are different if you still want them rear facing go out and look at seats. A lot of them have longer rear to feet lenght. It is not just broken feet we worry about with the childs feet touching the seat. It is spinal damage from the feet getting pushed on impact and damaging the spinal cord. Whiplash is a concern but can also happen with them rear facing. It all depends on where the impact is coming from. All children are built differently so all aspects need to be looked at. Some children get their height from long torsos. Some long legs. You have to use your judgment. Yes maybe your child has a long torso only and feet are not touching the back seat so you figure hey its ok....Have you takent he time to read to see what the height limit is? There are many things to look at. It will almost never be the combo package and once one thing is exceeded please find a new car seat that properly fits them. I know car seats can be expensive but cheaper than that hospital bill or funeral cost. I have seem some horrific things in my life time with car accidents and children so I feel any chance I may have to educate the public on car seat safety is one way I can help reduce the numbers of unneccessary injurys or deaths. I know how nice and easy those infant carriers are but please don't keep your child in those because it is easier for you. There are other products to help when you no longer have those like high seat and cart covers. I see children in those all the time that are way way way too big to be in them and I can't help but feel bad for the child. All three of my children were out of them before 6 months. Both my boys are 4 1/2 months. None of them were rear facing after 10 months. Each child is different so please follow those instruction books the seats come with and store them in your glove boxes in the car. I know months later it is hard to remember all the specs. on the seat. Sorry this post was so long but I really felt it important to bring all this up. Any questions please post them and I will be happy to respond!!

Can you say MISSINFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few people created an account to post there. And TRIED to give proper information.

Eeeeeek.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Oh boy, the above nurse/paramedic's (can we say yikes??) misinformation about when to turn FF and another bad celebrity example of what not to do, it sure is frustrating. I'm tempted to say well at least Britney was using a carseat this time, but it's not much of an improvement because she's still endangering her baby. And this medical professional is doing a serious disservice to the safety of countless other babies as well. :mad: :eek:

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Who the heck made up this feet touching the back of the seat crap? really i want to know. As soon as i can get out of my bed i intend to hit them.

Just another reason to hate Britney. I never was a fan of hers and now i have a proof she's a moron. It makes me angry all over again. She was quoted in people magazine about it saying that b/c it brought attention to CPS she feels good about it (or something similar. I cant get ahold of the magazine to copy it.) Its sad her seat could be used to 35 pounds RFing but shes turned him at what 25 maybe 30 if he's a chubby kid. Doesnt she realize we're all watching her for this? It seems like if she really wanted to draw attention to CPS she'd do extended rfing and talk about it during interviews and stuff (I know it wouldnt be easy to get in the interview but i know i could do it if i had the opportunity!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC