EFTA red tabs

cryswilkins

I am really thinking about getting an EFTA if they are on clearance at my Target for my DD to use in MILs car.

How are most kids finding the red tabs? If they bother my DD can I put a baby sock on them?

Anyone have one RF in a Honda Civic?

ADS

mish

I think they bother some kids and not others. If they do bother your child you can put a thin sock on them.

kittykate

I think they bother some kids and not others. If they do bother your child you can put a thin sock on them.

Per the Evenflo techs I talked to, you MAY NOT put a sock on them. Also, the harness doesn't unthread, so there is no way to slip the sock on.

I don't think a sock would help much anyways, as the tabs even irritated my son through his shirt.

Mommy2Marcus

They do not bother my DS at all, even when he sleeps to the side on a long 3 hour drive. I have found that he sometimes does get red marks on his neck from them, but he also gets those from his MA. So I totally say you should go for it! I absolutly :love: my EFTA so much in fact I am getting another one!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We've never had problems with the tabs either, even with ds wearing a tank top the other day. I have found that if you overtighten the harness the straps really dig in, and that it's much easier to over-tighten then you'd think. :whistle:

I :love: our EFTA. Would love to have a 2nd one if I could justify it. ;)

MomofOlivia407

I second snowbird's response. The tabs were rubbing on DD's neck at first, but I loosened it one notch & voila, no more rubbing! It's really easy to overtighten, but even when I loosened it one notch, it is still safe...and passes the pinch test.

I may have to go see if they are on clearance at our Target!

Murphy's Law

I love my EFTA. The tabs don't bother either of my kids in the least.

If the seat is going in the center spot in the civic it'll be fine. Outboard presents a problem (at least in our civic) because the way the vehicle seats come out near the doors, they are hard under the seat cover and really get in the way of the knob adjuster. I can't adjust the harness easily at ALL when my EFTA is outboard in the civic. Other than that, I absolutely love this seat in any other position.

You should try it in your car at BRU - it's possible your civic is a different year than ours and just maybe the seats are shaped a bit differently.

cryswilkins

Its MILs Civic, its a 04 maybe I am not sure. She like to have Zoe outboard because she can see her. *rolls eyes* I want something that is easy for her and the knobs seem like a no brainer to me.

mish

Per the Evenflo techs I talked to, you MAY NOT put a sock on them. Also, the harness doesn't unthread, so there is no way to slip the sock on.

I don't think a sock would help much anyways, as the tabs even irritated my son through his shirt.

I hadn't heard that you couldn't put a sock on them I have seen that recommended on here before, and I recommend it to parents. However, if you have heard from Evenflo that this is not allowed, then perhaps no one should do it. By the way, when you say Evenflo techs, do you mean a customer service representative or an engineer?

ETA: Never mind on who you talked to, I found your other thread. That's just crazy that they won't even allow a thin sock. I honestly do not think it would cause any harm. I think if it were my child I would make the parental decision to go ahead and do it, knowing what I know about car seats. I am not advocating that all parents should do this. I am saying it is a parental decision.

No, the sock won't slip on, you have to cut it, put it in the harness, and sew it back together.

Last edited:

kittykate

I hadn't heard that you couldn't put a sock on them I have seen that recommended on here before, and I recommend it to parents. However, if you have heard from Evenflo that this is not allowed, then perhaps no one should do it. By the way, when you say Evenflo techs, do you mean a customer service representative or an engineer?

ETA: Never mind on who you talked too, I found your other thread. That's just crazy that they won't even allow a thin sock. I honestly do not think it would cause any harm. I think if it were my child I would make the parental decision to go ahead and do it, knowing what I know about car seats. I am not advocating that all parents should do this. I am saying it is a parental decision.

No, the sock won't slip on, you have to cut it, put it in the harness, and sew it back together.

Mish, the justification given to me was that the sock could slip back and interfere with the way the harness locks. :confused:

The tech I talked to (who was not a customer service rep but a CPS tech who works with the engineers :)) was emphatic that anything that wrapped around the harness was not okay and even double checked with the engineers about a baby sock for me. Their only solution was to put a washcloth under the harness straps on his neck.

I just want to add that in my case, it was definitely not an issue of the harness being too tight, it was just the way my son fit into the seat. We had both a local CPS tech check the fit and sent video to Evenflo and neither could come up with a way to have the harness snug enough without irritating my son's neck. My 9 month old, however, had no issues with irritation from the harness on the same seat... so I think it really depends on the kid.

solmama

The red tabs were also a problem for my ds. It was just the way the seat fit him. And Evenflo told me the same thing...nothing around the red tabs, not even a baby sock. Loosening the harness made no difference-it still hurt him on trips longer than 20 minutes. I'm sure the EFTA is fine for the vast majority of people who use it.

fyrfightermomma

I found that they usually did not bother either of my kids RFing as the way it lays on the neck and curves over the shoulders helped.

However, from the looks of the responses it doesn't seem a whole lot are using this seat FFing. Thats where I definitely saw the problems. When we switched to FFing, the straps defiantely made a difference. The way they sort of angled up cut right into her neck.

There was no way it would work FFing for us. RFing was fine, but FFing was a no go. I'd make sure to try it FFing as well if you intend to ever use the seat that way down the road.

mish

Mish, the justification given to me was that the sock could slip back and interfere with the way the harness locks. :confused:

The tech I talked to (who was not a customer service rep but a CPS tech who works with the engineers :)) was emphatic that anything that wrapped around the harness was not okay and even double checked with the engineers about a baby sock for me. Their only solution was to put a washcloth under the harness straps on his neck.

Thanks for clarifying. Also, I wasn't trying to question you, I just really wanted to know why Evenflo took this stance. Thanks for clearing that up for me! I'm sorry you couldn't figure out a way to make this seat work for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC