Anyone ever seen these?

Mommy2Marcus

I was wondering if anyone had ever seen the Swaddleme Traverler. It looks to be made of light fleece, so I am not so sure it would be a terrible thing. I was also thinking it didn't look like it interferred with the harness, but am unsure. I was just wondering what you all thought of this one?

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534078&cmSource=Search

ETA: I am not thinking of buying one I just seen it in One Step Ahead's magazine & wondered what you all thought of it. I thought it looked a TON better than the bundleme. Just wanted to clarify that!

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Someone here had one. I'm not sure of her screen name, but her children are Boo, Bug, and Bear. I believe she felt like it was a safe to use product. I registered for one.

Susan

Mommy2Marcus

Okay! I didn't think they were horrible! I thought they looked alot better than the BundleMe, but just wanted to see what others thought.

I also thought they really looked like they would not interfer with the harness. So Thanks for letting me know what was thought of them!

Another question about it:
Would it be considered an aftermarket product or would it be considered something more like a clothing article or blanket? Just wondering if it would void the warrenty?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I don't consider it anymore than a fleece suit. It fits on their legs like pants...then the top lays behind them, you put the straps over their shirt and then wrap the swaddle part around their arms. I did see it in BRU once and it was a thin fleece. It's probably thinner than the Carter's fleece outfit I've got to bring baby home in.

I think it'll be great to have as I'm having a late Dec baby and Jan and Feb are our coldest months. Most of our car rides will probably be an hour...so I like that I can wrap baby up, and once the car is warm peel away the layer around their chest if needed. But I have a shower cap cover too.

Susan

Lea_Ontario

Someone here had one. I'm not sure of her screen name, but her children are Boo, Bug, and Bear. I believe she felt like it was a safe to use product. I registered for one.

Susan

That's me. We had one for Bear when he was just tiny.

He's 9 days old in these photos. In a diaper, sleeper, and a SwaddleMe blacket, in his Snugride.

Last edited:

Splash

Just wondering if it would void the warrenty?

There is no after market cover that will void your warranty. Ever. Unless you pierce the straps or drill holes into the shell, the warranty on the car seat will not be voided. That is a myth that people on this board try to throw out to scare people, but it simply is not true. The warranty is for the construction of the seat itself, you're not going to do anything that will interfere with that.

MomToEliEm

There is no after market cover that will void your warranty. Ever. Unless you pierce the straps or drill holes into the shell, the warranty on the car seat will not be voided. That is a myth that people on this board try to throw out to scare people, but it simply is not true. The warranty is for the construction of the seat itself, you're not going to do anything that will interfere with that.

What about liability though? If a child was killed in a seat with a 3rd party cover and the extra padding was suspected of caused the child's head to strike the wrong part of the seat causing fatal injuries, I would guess that the carseat manufacturer would not assume any liability in that crash.

NannyMom

It looks similar to a mom's "invention" I saw on the newslast week. Except the one I saw didn;t have legs, and wasn;t sold by OSA :) TheoneI was doesnotinterferew/ straps becauseit hads a big hole in the back. You wrap both sides and the bottom around baby once she's strapped in. It wasneat, but Did'n see it as being more helpful then the infant carrier cover I have (NOT a bundle me).

Splash

What about liability though? If a child was killed in a seat with a 3rd party cover and the extra padding was suspected of caused the child's head to strike the wrong part of the seat causing fatal injuries, I would guess that the carseat manufacturer would not assume any liability in that crash.

"Would not assume?" Sure, they *might* fight it. And have it public knowledge that a kid died in their car seat, for whatever reason. And then they would have to try (in vain) to produce any real world evidence that could even possibly back up their assertion that thin strap covers, or an after market cover, or a head hugger, or whatever, caused the failure of the restraint. Which would then be them admitting that their seats are so abysmal at performing under real life circumstances that they can't handle a snuzzler (perhaps one of the worst offenders, both in quantity and quality). But then all you need is an attorney who has at least read one book, because any defense attorney worth his weight in fertilizer would win that case, hands down, open and shut, period the end. If it truly was seat failure, and not blatant misuse completely independent of seat failure, then their is no "assuming" liability, it's liability period. Your question makes the naive assumption that they have to claim guilt in order to be held accountable, which is far and away not the truth.

If a harness rips out of a seat, I don't care how many strap covers you have on it, it's the manufacturer's fault, no questions asked. No way would they ever fight you on it, because then it becomes public knowledge that they a) produced a a faulty seat causing and/or contributing to a child's death, and b) tried to force the blame on something/someone else with a theory that a four year old can see through. If the shell on the seat cracked, or the anchor belt snapped, or the harness released, or any of the other lovely and potentially fatal failures occured, it's not because of your Prince Lionheart car seat mat, or your PiddlePad, or your Snuzzler, or you strap covers, or even those stupid dangly bug things hanging from the handles of baby baskets. There is basic engineering quality that is to be expected, and NONE of these products can possibly impact the integrity of the seat's construction.

Now, the topic of misuse comes into play. A Snuzzler often keeps parents from tightening the harness enough, but parents don't tighten the harness enough anyway. You CAN tighten it plenty, thereby eliminating the possibility of ejection independent of basic seat failure. It's not a down comforter, folks. There is not gonna be THAT much compression (and in a RF seat, mind you, where the harness does pretty much nothing) that the kid is gonna fly out. Neither with strap covers, and a seat saver is (last time I checked) not made by 2x4s or even industrial grade steel. The rubber ones are a bit ridiculous, but they're still not death in a box as many would have one assume.

The only after market product that I really truly see a valid claim of voiding liability on is the Mighty-Tite, and even then it would not void Graco's liability, but Ford's. Graco might get in on the action, and have a valid argument, but that is moot anyway because SKJP would be going down for that debacle.

For the record, there is a towel under my kid's car seat (I think... don't even remember actually), and I would absolutely use the harness covers from his Regent on the baby's SS1 if I felt the need, and if for some reason my infant is having major head slouch and the SS1 insert doesn't cut it, I have no qualms buying an after market head hugger. I would completely and absolutely buy an after market all cotton cover for his car seat if his skin ever started acting up again, and wouldn't really worry in the least if it was made to the same pattern by a competent seamstress. And if my kid screamed non stop... no, I still wouldn't buy the dumb dangly bugs, because they just annoy me. And don't get me started on the three pound hard plastic Baby Einstein aquarium dumb thing secured by two tiny strips of velcro SUSPENDED OVER YOUR BABY'S HEAD (!!!), that's just plain dumb.

I would not use a mighty-tite. Or a super thick rubber tire mat. Other than that, I am confident that there is nothing any after market item is going to do to harm my seat or endanger my child, so long as it is used for its intended use and the seat is still used correctly.

Brilliantmama

I had the same one as Kashi, except T-shirt material. I felt that there was no safety concern. I liked that it took care of the "newborn crazy arms" without compromising the 5-pt harness. It saved our lives when we had to drive 6 hours at 1 week old.

IMG_3338.jpg

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
"Would not assume?" Sure, they *might* fight it. And have it public knowledge that a kid died in their car seat, for whatever reason. And then they would have to try (in vain) to produce any real world evidence that could even possibly back up their assertion that thin strap covers, or an after market cover, or a head hugger, or whatever, caused the failure of the restraint. Which would then be them admitting that their seats are so abysmal at performing under real life circumstances that they can't handle a snuzzler (perhaps one of the worst offenders, both in quantity and quality). But then all you need is an attorney who has at least read one book, because any defense attorney worth his weight in fertilizer would win that case, hands down, open and shut, period the end. If it truly was seat failure, and not blatant misuse completely independent of seat failure, then their is no "assuming" liability, it's liability period. Your question makes the naive assumption that they have to claim guilt in order to be held accountable, which is far and away not the truth.

If a harness rips out of a seat, I don't care how many strap covers you have on it, it's the manufacturer's fault, no questions asked. No way would they ever fight you on it, because then it becomes public knowledge that they a) produced a a faulty seat causing and/or contributing to a child's death, and b) tried to force the blame on something/someone else with a theory that a four year old can see through. If the shell on the seat cracked, or the anchor belt snapped, or the harness released, or any of the other lovely and potentially fatal failures occured, it's not because of your Prince Lionheart car seat mat, or your PiddlePad, or your Snuzzler, or you strap covers, or even those stupid dangly bug things hanging from the handles of baby baskets. There is basic engineering quality that is to be expected, and NONE of these products can possibly impact the integrity of the seat's construction.

Now, the topic of misuse comes into play. A Snuzzler often keeps parents from tightening the harness enough, but parents don't tighten the harness enough anyway. You CAN tighten it plenty, thereby eliminating the possibility of ejection independent of basic seat failure. It's not a down comforter, folks. There is not gonna be THAT much compression (and in a RF seat, mind you, where the harness does pretty much nothing) that the kid is gonna fly out. Neither with strap covers, and a seat saver is (last time I checked) not made by 2x4s or even industrial grade steel. The rubber ones are a bit ridiculous, but they're still not death in a box as many would have one assume.

The only after market product that I really truly see a valid claim of voiding liability on is the Mighty-Tite, and even then it would not void Graco's liability, but Ford's. Graco might get in on the action, and have a valid argument, but that is moot anyway because SKJP would be going down for that debacle.

For the record, there is a towel under my kid's car seat (I think... don't even remember actually), and I would absolutely use the harness covers from his Regent on the baby's SS1 if I felt the need, and if for some reason my infant is having major head slouch and the SS1 insert doesn't cut it, I have no qualms buying an after market head hugger. I would completely and absolutely buy an after market all cotton cover for his car seat if his skin ever started acting up again, and wouldn't really worry in the least if it was made to the same pattern by a competent seamstress. And if my kid screamed non stop... no, I still wouldn't buy the dumb dangly bugs, because they just annoy me. And don't get me started on the three pound hard plastic Baby Einstein aquarium dumb thing secured by two tiny strips of velcro SUSPENDED OVER YOUR BABY'S HEAD (!!!), that's just plain dumb.

I would not use a mighty-tite. Or a super thick rubber tire mat. Other than that, I am confident that there is nothing any after market item is going to do to harm my seat or endanger my child, so long as it is used for its intended use and the seat is still used correctly.

I think you wrong completely on using anything that has not been crash tested by the manufacture will indeed release the manufacture of liability. Those manuals are written with the help of lawyers to help cover the manufactures rear. If you are not using the seat per their manual they have a lot stronger case in a lawsuit then the parent.

Why do you think there are no testing standards for these products because the manufactures feel they are not safe and could have the potential to do harm. Sure using an aftermarket cover may not void the warranty esp if the manufacture doesn't find out. But, You sure don't want your child to be the crash test dummy or be in one if the vehicle catchs fire. Look at the posters pics that just had her van burn up with her Britax seats in it. Look how good the OEM covers stood up to direct flames. So, That is PROOF for the manufactures on aftermarket covers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC