Are travel vests safe?

C

Carolina31

Are travel vests safe?

I am very interested in getting my 2 yr old into a travel vest for long trips instead of the bulky car seat she has now. Do you have any information on the safety of the Cosco Portable Car Seat (Travel Vest). I know that it is approved, but would like to know how it stands up to a regular car seat.

ADS
K

Karen

Travel Vest

I would recommend keeping your 2 year old in a car seat rather then using the travel vest for several reasons.

The hard plastic shell of a car seat provide additional protection in the event of a crash, in particular a side impact crash.

A car seat boosts your child up and allows that child to see out the windows. It is a pretty boring ride when all you have to look at is the back of the front seat!!

A car seat provide support for a sleeping child where a travel vest sits very upright and does not provide any additionl support for a sleeping child.

In general your child will be much more comfortable and safer in a car seat with an internal harness until they reach 40 lbs and then in a booster seat with a lap shoulder belt from 40 to around 80lbs

Travel vests are great for people that have to ride in cabs and on public transportation on a regular basis and they are also good for Grandparents that don't have the room (or desire) to store a bulky car seat.

Karen
CPS Tech

C

carsafety

Oops!

Thanks Karen-

Actually, the original author also posted in the Carseat forum at the same time and I had intended to delete this post but forgot:) With your excellent reply, I'm happy to leave it for other lurkers!

Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC