Pay to check car seat, will it increase car seat use on planes?

niccig

I dropped a friend off at the airport today, and she told me that American was going to charge her for checking her car seat, so she was going to bring it on the plane for her 4 yo to use. She's never ever taken a car seat on a plane but will do it to save the $25 luggage fee. I wonder if other people will also do that???

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I sure hope so! Either that, or people will just stop taking car seats on vacation, and just put their 4 yos in seatbelts.

BW1426

Either that, or people will just stop taking car seats on vacation, and just put their 4 yos in seatbelts.

:yeahthat: :(

Unless they broadcast that you can use carseats on the plane but have to pay to check them I don't think it will a productive thing for the CPS world. I really think that there are a lot of people who don't realize you can use carseats on a plane. I've never once seen a carseat on an airplane :(

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
No, people just won't bring a car seat. For any age. If the child is under 2, they won't want to buy an extra seat for the car seat. If the child is over 2, they won't think about taking the car seat on the plane. :mad: :thumbsdown:

laurenrachey

a family member that flew last weekend was telling me that they weighed her bags to be checked. If it was over 50lbs per ticket holder, there was a $50 charge. She doesn't have kids yet and her bag was 54lbs but that's a different subject ;)

I think it might discourage people from checking seats if they don't know in advance and are charged when they get to the counter. But it would be helpful if they said at the counter 'you're are welcome to use the seat on board if it is FAA approved.' Then the parents of 2+ at least are left with -I've already paid for my childs ticket, am I now going to pay another $25 to check this seat or just use it on the plane for free? Probably won't help the lap baby scenario as parents will think $25 checking fee is a great deal when compared to a ticket price :(

Citrine

I would bring it with me to save a bag fee. I feel if you have a ticket you should be allowed 1 bag and any other bags you bring be charged.

Qarin

American Airlines excludes car seats from its limits on carry-on baggage, when brought on with a lap-baby or ticketed child:

https://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/baggage/carryOnAllowance.jsp

And for a lap-baby, if there is no seat available for that baby, the seat can be gate-checked, with no mention of a fee.

There doesn't seem to be any exception for child safety seats for regular checked bag charges ($15 for the first piece, $25 for the second, etc) on American Airlines, though there is for other airlines (eg., Alaska Airlines does not count assistive devices or child safety seats against its checked baggage limits).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC