Recaro Young Sport in the middle seat of 2004 Expedition?

U

Unregistered

Did anyone successfully install this seat in the middle seat of a 2004 Ford Expedition or the like? I tried a Nautilus today,,,and it was a tad too wide,,preventing the end seat from folding down when needed.

Any other successully installed toddler seat in the middle seat? thanks.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How old and heavy is the child? The Radian is quite narrow and might fit quite well. It's the narrowest convertible out there. If you're trying to fit a rear facing child a Scenera works well (it would work fine forward facing, but it's outgrown in that direction, and so it's nearly always recommended as a rear facing seat here).

Also, what is your budget?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

4 years 3 months, 29-31 lbs, 37 inches. (I posted earlier today with a more general inquiry...)

She hardly sleeps in the car,,it cuts into her chatter time, LOL..but she does zone out and rest and would probably appreciate a nice place to rest her head I think.

I just took a really close look at the anchor locations in my expedition. The anchor position in the narrow middle passenger seat,,are acutally not centered! They are actually "pushed" to one side more than the other. Therefore,,I think if I start with my Marathon on the driver side passenger seat (rather than the opposite which is what I have been doing) ,,,and the new car seat for DD,,,,in the middle..that actually might buy me an extra inch or 2 on the other side,,,leaving the buckle free and clear for my 6 year old to buckle himself into his booster and also allowing enough room to fold down his seat for access to the 3 rd row.

I like the idea of the radian...but I have been reading it is hard to install. As it is soley a 5 pt car seat, I am worried she will "emotionally" outgrow it ,,,wanting a big girl, booster seat in a year or so. Has this happened to anyone's child? At what age?

But in a way,,I'm not too unhappy about it being a 5 pt only,,as it is much easier to buckle her in (her helping,,me checking/finishing) than trying to reach my hand inbetween 2 car seat, to buckle her into a booster, especially with 3 in a row and buckles that are very tight to the seat.

There is no budget really, I just want to make the right choice this time.

I'm also considering the frontier (PINK :) and the nautilus, and Recaro Young Sport.
The only one I tried was the Nautilus today,,at BRU. It was a bit too wide to allow the end seat to freely fold down,,,but I could squish the seat past the Nautilus if I pushed really hard. So I think I need something about 1 inch narrower than the Nautilus..The Nautilus' high sides also made it difficult for Oldest son to reach his boostered buckle.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Frontier is wider even than the Nautilus.

The Radian is just a five point, but it'll last kids to usually seven or eight years old. and it has an eight year lifespan. The Marathon child is younger? If so you'll get a lot of use out of the Radian.

It can be a bear to install, it depends on the seatbelt. You can order it from target.com and return it to a store if it doesn't work for you.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

thank you for this great link,,,I had no idea it existed!

No,,not too much info on the Expeditions,....guess most people have done the smart thing and traded theirs in for more gas efficient options!

But,,I do have a MA and their was info on that model in my car. thanks again.

K

ErinGoBragh

I posted this on your other thread, but figured I'd add it here too.

I also have an Expedition.

There is no way that the Nautilus will fit in the center seat. It is way too wide. Once installed, your older DS will not be able to buckle because the Nautilus will cover his buckle. Plus, you would not be able to fold the seat down.

You could put the baby in the center and a GN behind the driver. The Marathon fits great in the center. I never had a problem flipping the seat when it was installed with LATCH.

I would go with the Radian. The size would be great for the center seat. It does not turn into a booster, but you could pass it down to your DS in 2 years when your Marathon expires.

U

Unregistered

I'm going with the Radian in the middle seat for my 4 year old, 30 lb girl...but just so everyone knows...I did install a Recaro Young Sport in the middle seat yesterday at the store. I had my son's Marathon RF on on end, YS in the middle and still had room enough to fold down the end seat and also enough for my son to buckle in his booster on the end too.

Going with the Radian though....love the safestop feature for such a light FF'er.

THanks everyone for all your advice...

Now just to find the right booster for DS.. ( I did like the YS,,,almost considering it for my 6 year old as a booster only...loved the sloped seat and wider shoulders,,,,great SIP,,,great position for napping too...) Maybe just a bit much seat for him though...Tried the Vivo and although he loved the red and black,,,,it looked awfully narrow to me..He fit in perfectly now,,,what about a jacket and growing room? I'm checking out the monterrey too for him.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Tried the Vivo and although he loved the red and black,,,,it looked awfully narrow to me..He fit in perfectly now,,,what about a jacket and growing room? I'm checking out the monterrey too for him.

The Monterey is a good one to try. That is a cool booster! :)

The Start is a great booster, adjustable in every way possible. Babies R Us has is on sale for an excellent price.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC