are these ok?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
They'd be "safe" as long as the connecting piece of fabric wasn't pushed down far enough to touch where the harness straps come out of the shell - that's speaking in terms of them being highly unlikely to affect crash test performance.

That being said, they are still an after market product and as such unauthorized by any carseat manufacturer to be used specifically with their seat. I don't know why it would be anymore effective than using receiving blankets personally, other than not having to roll the blankets up. ;)

If a parent really wanted to though, using the side pillows without the backing for a baby would be harmless since they'd be being used just like a receiving blanket.

It's kind of a fine line with something like this. Yes, the entire thing is an aftermarket product, however, using the pillows on either side of the head without the fabric behind the head would be no different than using receiving blankets, and as a tech I wouldn't have a problem with it. If someone came into a check with the back piece attached and behind the child, I would be inclined to detach the pillows and use them separately, but in the grand scheme of things and looking in terms of actual safety risk, these are pretty safe if used carefully.

eta: It's kind of a knock-off of the toddler pillow portion of the comfy soft - they just made the back detachable. Wonder if they'll actually be able to patent it... I rather doubt it.

fyrfightermomma

I agree with snowbird. As long as that back part did not directly touch the harness, I would be fine with it. I also see it as no different than receiving blankets rolled up.

However, "technically" they are aftermarket, so if a parent asked I would say they should not use them. As a parent and a tech though, I would not have a problem with something like this, especially with the back removed

laurenrachey

Look at the second picture. It has harness slots, so the idea is to thread the harness straps through it. So I would say :thumbsdown: in that case and just use a rolled up receiving blanket. Would it have any affect in a crash? Probably not, but not something I'd be will to possibly void the manufacturer liability over.

fyrfightermomma

Look at the second picture. It has harness slots, so the idea is to thread the harness straps through it. So I would say :thumbsdown: in that case and just use a rolled up receiving blanket. Would it have any affect in a crash? Probably not, but not something I'd be will to possibly void the manufacturer liability over.

Ahhh good catch! I never even saw the holes for the harness straps. In that case, no, they are not OK. Anything directly touching the harness I would say no :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Yeah, good catch. I didn't look at that picture full size, just the carseat one.

I definitely wouldn't use it with the back behind the child then, but remove the back and I really don't see a problem.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC