Just let him ride in the APEX?

PixieEMT

Friday my sister asked to take my DS to Chuck E. Cheese with her and my 7 y/o nephew. She's going with a friend and her 9 y/o DS. They are going to Wilkes Barre which is about an 1hour away , straight up the interstate. They will be taking the friend's 01 Town and Country. I have work from 7a-7p and she's my sitter.

Now here's the problem:

My sister can install a FF seat fine. Getting her to install a RF seat correctly will be next to impossible. She freaks out that it's "too hard!" She's onboard with ERF that's not the issue. Installing a RF Britax with the tether will freak her out!

There is no way I can install the seat in the van for them b/c I will be 30 miles away from where her friend lives.

FF I know she can install one correctly. RF it will questionable. :(

So do I? :confused:
a) Let him ride in the APEX....that will be correctly installed FF with top tether.
b) Give her the Marathon to RF and tuck the versa tether away?
c) Giver her the marathon to RF and show her how to top tether Austrailian style?
d) Not let him go and have my MIL watch him for the last couple hours I work?

ADS

BW1426

Are you dropping him off in the morning? Couldn't you install it then or are they going in the friend's car?

I don't remember how old your DS is.

I'd probably give her the Marathon and tuck the tether away. It's just such as easy seat to install.

PixieEMT

My sister will be coming over to my house around 1pm while my DS is napping. DS is 22 months, 30lbs, 3feet tall. I recently broke the APEX out and gave it to my sister incase of an emergeny. This is my only spare seat right now. She installed it on the passenger side outboard position with the vehicle belt and toptether.

After DS wakes up my sister is taking them in her cavalier to the friends house that is 30 miles away from where I work.

BW1426

Unless you're totally uncomfortable in her ability to install the Marathon RF, that's what I'd do and just tuck away the tether so that it's not even an issue.

She shouldn't have issues with the Marathon. As you know, it's a breeze to install and he doesn't have to be at a particular angle so it shouldn't be an issue for her to get it in there.

And, if worse comes to worse and she cannot get it in there RF she can always FF the Marathon.

PixieEMT

Yes, it has LATCH I posted another thread for someone to look it up in the LATCH manual.

So , I was thinking this as I was sitting here:

When I get done here at the station today at 3 p , she'll be at home watching DS. I'm praying he still napping when I get home. *sigh*
I'm going to tell her I need the APEX to show a friend for his 3 y/o they have in a booster. (True story btw)
Tell her I checked with her friend's husband today that their van is a 01 T & C with LATCH. Take her out to my 06 T & C and show her the LATCH on my BLVD and what she needs to do.

MA is in dh car and he works 2nd shift all week.

Citrine

If it were my child I would opt for option b) Give her the Marathon to RF and tuck the versa tether away. As you know you could install this car seat while sleeping.

brooklynsmommy

I would totally show her how to install it RF with LATCH. Even I still have issues sometimes installing mine rear facing with a seat belt. But with LATCH, piece of cake. In fact, I think it's just as easy as installing it FF with a seat belt. Click them on and alternate back and forth with your weight on each side to tighten. Takes me like 45 seconds. I would probably forgo the top tether just to make it a little less stressful for her. You can teach her that later.:D

PixieEMT

I'm going to take the MA from my husbands car and show her how to install RF with Latch. I'm going to tuck the top strap away. My D rings are a pain to rig up in both or vehicles and I hat removing them.

I'm telling her someone needs the APEX she has no choice.

mamaofthree

Another vote for using the MA RF without the tether. That's the easiest install ever. I do it all the time. Half the time I don't even use the tether in my van anyway, because it pulls the seat down no matter what. DS is 2 and likes being more upright.

Kimberly

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC