Question ??will SS1 last a year??

Pingbns

i just got mine and it doesn't look too much larger than a 22 poundder. Will it last a good sized one year old? What is the average age when children out grow the seat ?

I am also having trouble hook and unhooking the anchors on the LATCH in my '05 chevy impala.

What is that paper test to know if you have 45 degree angle?

ADS

Melizerd

I think I've read that it fits 90% of 1 year olds and I've seen several 2 year olds still fit.

My DS didn't have the SS1 and outgrew his infant seat at 4 months, he started hating the infant seat anyhow because it was so reclined so he was happier in a convertible.

If LATCH is giving you problems install the seat with the seatbelt. LATCH is "supposed" to be easier then the belt but I prefer the belt install in most vehicles. LATCH and the belt are equally safe.

bobbysgirl7103

My daughter is 13 months old and could still fit in her SS1 with room to grow. But she didn't like being so reclined and bunched up as she got older so we got her a Marathon. She's a little thing though. She is just now about 20 lbs.

Also I don't have latch in my car, but the SS1 is very easy to install with a seatbelt. The base has a great seatbelt lock off on it that makes it super easy and tight.

Pepse

My dd is 11 months old and has been a chunky monkey. She is now 25lbs and 29 inches with still some inches left in her Safe seat

If we had gone with another infant seat, she would have been out of it by 4 months in the middle of the winter.

MOM25BOYS

Most definately!:D I was skeptical myself after using a Snugride for so long. I couldn't dare see how my kiddos would last longer in the SS1 after growing out of the Snugride at 6mths. Well, here is proof......

This is my soon to be 23mth old DS at 28lbs in my SS1. Still has room to go.:D

P1010187.jpg

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My DD outgrew her SS at 20 months.

The LATCH hooks do suck, I also found them difficult to get done up, but once they're done up and installed, you should rarely need to remove them. If you are moving the base between vehicles, I'd suggest just getting a 2nd base.

As for the recline angle, does your seat not have the level marker on the side? You should be able to just turn a knob on the base and make sure the seat is within the "blue range" and that's the proper angle for an infant. There is a bit of flexibility within the blue range so I just kept mine at the most reclined I could get it in the blue range when DD was under a year, then I made it less reclined (but still in blue range) when she was older.

kate4478

Most definately!:D I was skeptical myself after using a Snugride for so long. I couldn't dare see how my kiddos would last longer in the SS1 after growing out of the Snugride at 6mths. Well, here is proof......

This is my soon to be 23mth old DS at 28lbs in my SS1. Still has room to go.:D

P1010187.jpg

what a cutie pie! nice cover! ;)

Dillipop

My son, who was 75-90 percent for height, lasted until he was 18 months in the SS1. He was about 25 pounds.

It is pretty rare to hear of a child outgrowing the seat by height/weight before a year.

fyrfightermomma

Both my huge 16 month old and small 3 year old fit in the SS1 by height and weight. Most "average" kiddos could get from 14-18 months. Definatlely a year though!

I had an 04 impala and ANY LATCH is a royal pain in the you know what. The seat cushions are so close together you literally need two people. one to cram the LATCH hook in, the other to hold the two cushions apart.

The "good" LATCH clips like Britax and Recaro and the Radians were even worse because they were bigger. The smaller "normal" LATCH hooks were easier for me.

Now that we sold that car, the "good" LATCH clips are easier. I swear, its just the car! If you aren't moving the base, it shouldn't be a problem. Just get an extra hand to hold open the cushions. If you have to move the base, I'd say get a 2nd base or use the seatbelt to install.

HTH

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
DD2 is in the small percentage of kids who outgrew the SS1 before a year old but she came pretty close. :) She was a week shy of her first birthday when she outgrew hers by height with less than 1 inch of shell above the top of her head. Her head was way over the top of the shell at 18 months when I buckled her back into the SS1 just for fun (well, fun for me, she was pretty mad about trying it on for size then).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC